2010-11 Season Do over? I say no: Gracie Gold

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by johndockley92, Apr 12, 2012.

1. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

For those of you that don't know, at last seasons' sectionals, Gracie skated a disastrous skate in both programs and did not make it out of sectionals. She was held up in the SP due to the things she had done in practice and her previous national medal.

Despite having a triple - triple combination she didn't make it to nationals last season. However, she came back this season with a positive attitude, improved consistency, a straight head on her shoulders, and vastly improved components.

Would Gold have been as motivated to make these much needed improvements had she medaled last season? We may never know, but I think doing poorly last season was good for her. She was clearly motivated by the fact that she didn't perform to the best of her ability and is now one of the most highly touted ladies in the country! This goes to show you that in a skaters' career, one should not just sit there when they fall down; they should get back up even stronger than before and willing to prove doubters wrong...

PS hopefully Czisny follows in these footsteps :p
  2. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I like her big jumps.
    But she looks like a truck driver with a pretty face for now.
    I do hope however, she makes lots of improvements in her artistry in years to come.
  3. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Another Gracie thread? :p

I love her but even this is a bit much, IMO ;)
  4. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

I think that is what every good skater does; they fall and they get up and work harder. It's not a Gracie thing, it's a skater thing.
  5. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Czisny was not flopping around at a Sectional competition.

This was World's and there's a huge difference.
  6. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I believe Gracie didn't make it to Nationals last year because she zayaked. I know she also fell 3 (or 4?) times between her two programs, but I believe, had she not zayaked, she would have come in 4th and gone to Nationals. It is what it is, but her meltdown was nowhere near Alissa's at Worlds, where she fell a total of 7 times, and wasn't even attempting any 3-3s, and the jumps she did land were very shaky and/or cheated.

And I agree about Gracie. Awesome jumps, great speed, but the rest of her skating needs a LOT of work. I guess I understand the PCS, when you're landing those kinds of tricks, but I too find her a bit of a truck driver with a pretty face. The airplane arms especially need to go. But I'm sure she'll continue to improve.
  7. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Gracie stopped by yesterday to volunteer at the Adult Championships. Very cool of her to help out and support the adult skaters. :)
  8. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

She told the press that she worked with a sports psychologist after last season, and that it has helped her nerves tremendously. That's probably the reason why she came back strong. Now some of these other skaters... NEED to hire a sports psychologist.
  9. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

I'm sure they would if they could.

Skating is such an ultra-expensive sport to begin with &

Not everyone is wealthy enough to afford the luxury of the additional cost of a sports psychologist, even if they could benefit from it.
  10. smarts1

Well, there is prize money involved when you medal isn't there? So if the benefits outweigh the costs, then why not go for it?
  11. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Yes, there is prize money to offset training costs.

But at any given time, there are 100+ international skaters competing at the Olympic level. Unless you win everything left and right like Kostner, $50,000 a year is a lot of money to spend pursuing the sport.
  12. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Gracie will be the new Kween :lol:
  13. jlai

jlai Title-less

You mean she's not planning to win that competition too? :fragile:

:p
  14. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

she needs to ready first her 4-4-4 combo
    Gracie needs to refine her 4A-4T-4R money combo :p
  15. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

^^ Without it she will surely lose :p
  16. smarts1

Well, especially for someone like Czisny, who was just a few points off the podium last year at Worlds, she definitely has the potential to go out and be on the podium at every competition she enters. So she definitely has a ton of money at stake. Take, for example, this year's Worlds. She could have easily made her way onto that podium, but she blew it. I'm always so surprised that someone like her hasn't consulted a sports psychologist.
  17. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

^^ Pretty sure she has been seeing a sports psych for years.