2008 World pairs event- Who deserved the gold

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Jan 13, 2011.

?

2008 World Pairs event- who deserved gold

1. Savchenko & Szolkowy (winners)

68.3%
  2. Zhang & Zhang (silver medalists)

15.0%
  3. Dube & Davison (bronze medalists)

11.7%
  4. Pang & Tong (5th place finishers)

5.0%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Looking back at the 2008 World pairs event there seemed to be alot of debate about the results. Savchenko & Szolkowy were already considered the Worlds best pairs team but made a mistake in the short and numerous glaring mistakes in the long. Many actually felt the Zhangs were robbed at the time, even though their long was a bit flat and slow and also had a couple mistakes. There were others who actually felt Dube & Davison who had the competition and long program skate of their lives were robbed and should have won the long program and placed higher than bronze. Some also felt Pang & Tong who finished 5th after being hit hard on some UR jump calls were unfairly marked.

Who do you feel should have won the pairs event this year.

2. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Who came in 4th? Since 5th is there, shouldn't you list 4th too?

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Despite the mistakes, I think Savchenko & Szolkowy deserved to win.

4. MikiAndoFan#1

Kavaguti & Smirnov.

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

D/D did have the LP of their life but they were just too far back in the SP to catch up to S/S (not that they would have beat them anyway) they also only beat Z/Z by only 0.66 in the LP. I think the placements were correct in the short and long.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. judgejudy27

I guess I should have but I dont remember anyone saying they should have even been on the podium after the event. They were pretty much non discussed after the event and I dont even remember their skate too well except landing a quad throw and making some other mistakes after.

7. julieann

K/S lost the bronze medal by 1.44 points, so they were pretty close to making it on the podium. I remember them really biffing the 3T seq, if they had nailed those, they would have won a medal. P/T getting 4th over them would have been the travesty.

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Savchenko&Szolkowy, without any doubt !
    I think they would have deserved the 2010 Euros title as well ;)

9. judgejudy27

Looking at the protocals again I understand the result even though it surprised me a bit at the time. The EuroSport commentators were definitely surprised at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAxTbMwnf6o

10. MikiAndoFan#1

Me too! :D

11. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Why, Johnny Weir, of course. And he would have, if only TPTB in skating weren't so hellbent on persecuting him for being gay! :drama:

12. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

Savchenko/Szolkowy, as all of the above pairs either splatted/underrotated. D/D I do recall were too far off in the SP...

Plus i think that year the judging panel were rewarding difficult programs (i mean choreography and transitions) a lot better too. hence, S/S would easily win despite technically not skating their LP well.

13. laviemn

laviemn New Member

People mostly talk about the LPs when they dispute the results of this event, but how did these teams do in the SPs? I think S/S, Z/Z and K/S were clean and the top 3 after the short. I don't remember more at this point so I don't really have an informed opinion.

14. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I remember thinking P/T were robbed, but I can't remember if I thought they deserved to actually win or just medal/place higher than they did. :eek: I have thought they were completely robbed on so many occasions, and then when they do finally win it always seems to be with some not very good performances so it's a total let down. :p

15. judgejudy27

S/S were not clean in the short. One of them stepped out of the side by side triple toes. They were 2nd after the short because of this error by about 2.5 points behind the Zhangs.

S/S and P/T were the only top teams to have a miss in the short. Qing Pang stepped out of the triple toe and it was underrotated and downgraded and were 5th in the short. K/S and D/D were clean in the short too and were placed 3rd and 4th, K/S about 3.5 points back of the Zhangs, D/D about 6 points back.

16. judgejudy27

Wow I thought skateboy would atleast have an opinion on this thread as I know he is a big fan of the Zhangs. I was curious what he thought.

17. julieann

SP

TEC
    Z/Z 43.50
    K/S 42.28 -1.22
    S/S 40.75 -2.75
    D/D 40.52 -2.98
    P/T 37.58 -5.92

PCS
    S/S 31.25
    Z/Z 30.86 -0.39
    P/T 30.29 -0.96
    K/S 29.14 -2.11
    D/D 28.14 -3.11

TOTAL
    Z/Z 74.36
    S/S 72.00 -2.36
    K/S 71.42 -2.94
    D/D 68.66 -5.70
    P/T 67.87 -6.49

People do often forget about the short and how a few points can make a huge difference going into the long. People were just upset that P/T got no credit for the 3T because it was downgraded, like it's impossible for them to mess up a jump (even though they fall, step out and open too early) it was unfortunate for P/T that it happened but it was correct.

If they would have done it correctly they would have probably been in 2nd or 3rd.

Z/Z (no music :mad:)
    S/S
    K/S
    D/D
    No P/T, sorry...please post if you find it.

18. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

If you opened this thread to know his opinion, why didn't you just send him a PM ? :p

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Absolutely:p

20. julieann

They made too many mistakes that night to win that one. :)

21. judgejudy27

It is interesting though when looking back at the 2008 Worlds. In the short program likely the Germans would have scored about 3 points higher without the step out on her triple toe (assuming they got a bit of GOE). So they probably still only would have won the SP over the Zhangs by a point or less with both going clean. Yet in the LP they were able to have more and much worse mistakes than the Zhangs and still win the LP by about 8 points. So I guess the scoring potential of the two teams was much vastly different in the LP as compared to the short.

22. julieann

S/S had a base value of 62.35, much higher than Z/Z 57.30. S/S only made two mistakes, one on the 3S where they were given all -3 in GOE and the 3T seq where they were mostly given -1 or -2. The rest of the program was spot on and were given full levels for everything except the step sequence was a 3. They even got a level 2 twist to finish with 68.77 TEC and 63.03 PCS. The Zhangs PCS were only 59.31.

The Zhangs started out with a base value of 57.30 (even D/D and K/S were higher) because they didn't get full levels on many of their elements that brought the base value down and along with their mistakes they ended up with a TEC score of 64.15.

S/S more than made up for the SP deficit to win.