#2 KAETLYN OSMOND : CANADA'S SWEETHEART

puglover

Just returned from the CSOI show and Kaetlyn was just terrific. She did skate as a guest skater in Calgary last year and I would have to say the improvement in her is noteworthy. She definitely held her own in all the group numbers and looked to be having the time of her life. I loved both of her solo numbers - showed different sides of her and I thought were both very entertaining. She did not have her leg wrapped - at least that I could see - and hit all of her jumps solid and powerful - maybe doubled one. Her spins were strong and centred. She has a natural presence on the ice - something that many skaters work years for, and she plays very well to the audience. I know she is an Alberta girl - granted an import - but she got great response.

puglover

Yes, I know she was not born in Alberta but lives and trains in Edmonton now. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

cbd1235

According to twitter, Kaetlyn has started work on her new SP choreographed by Lance Vipond. No word on the music that I've seen, but I'm glad she stuck with Lance!

hohoho

Word I'm hearing is Lance Vipond for the SP and Pasquale Camerlengo for the LP. I hear Kaetlyn is on the ice every morning at West Edmonton Mall doing choreography if anyone is in the area

Emdee

Camerlengo... nice. I hope she does a fiery Tango or sultry Flamenco style. She has the pizazz for it! Cannot recall whether she has done a Tango yet.

Emdee

I'd actually like to see something more lyrical from her, lest she becomes one note

Me too but I think she may have to ease into that style. Her personality is more geared to the fiery. Would be nice if her short could be like that and she could be comfortable in her long where she tends to have problems. I like Camerlongo who can really combine the two - the lyrical and the dramatic. Love what he did for Dai . Time will tell what he does for Kaetlyn.

puglover

One of her exhibition numbers to "Over the Rainbow" was lovely. Quite a departure from the other program in costume, music, movement and expression. I think she could definitely do something more lyrical for a competitive program - however - not as many skaters can pull off the sassy as well as Kaetlyn so it has gotten her noticed. Having seen her live now a number of times, she really commands the ice which is a huge benefit.

spikydurian

Camerlengo... nice. I hope she does a fiery Tango or sultry Flamenco style. She has the pizazz for it! Cannot recall whether she has done a Tango yet.
I agree. Kaetlyn has lots of personality on ice. She would fare well with a fiery program, and I like Camerlengo programs. So excited ... Lance and Camerlengo and Kaetlyn.

shutterbug

:cheer2: New programs! Very pleased to hear Kaetlyn has decided to go with Camerlengo for her LP. Overall I find his programs quite sophisticated, which will be great for her at this point in her development. Very much looking forward to seeing what they can create together. I just hope there are plans to include a 3-3 this year. And as always, looking forward to checking out her new SP. Lance Vipond is so creative. :)

clarie

IDK...to me she stands out from the others by what she chooses to do. I find most of the other ladies pretty redundant. I hope she skates to music and has programs she comfortable with, but I think she could "sell" just about anything. She's got that showmanship down pat even when she screws up her program, she can stll sell it.

rvi5

IDK...to me she stands out from the others by what she chooses to do. I find most of the other ladies pretty redundant. I hope she skates to music and has programs she comfortable with, but I think she could "sell" just about anything. She's got that showmanship down pat even when she screws up her program, she can stll sell it.
That is probably why her choreographers give her the Sassy Sultry programs (Vipond, Bourne, were there others?). They are attempting to maximize her exposure with what she does well. A lot of skaters do lyrical skating. However when you are trying to establish yourself, it may be best to stand-out, not blend-in. I expect she will eventually widen her repertoire of styles when they feel it is time.

Last edited:

Emdee

That is probably why her choreographers give her the Sassy Sultry programs (Vipond, Bourne, were there others?). They are attempting to maximize her exposure with what she does well. A lot of skaters do lyrical skating. However when you are trying to establish yourself, it may be best to stand-out, not blend-in. I expect she will eventually widen her repertoire of styles when they feel it is time.

I agree but I think she has to begin the widening process. In some ways I think KO is like Katerina Witt - very much an IT girl. Her warmth and charming smile can bring a lot of sunshine into her program.

shutterbug

Canada’s Osmond seeks redemptive season

“This year is about showing something new,” added Vipond. “A more mature, more refined, more patient skater. The focus is on more classic lines, more graceful, fluid movement, and deeper and longer running edges. My hope is that Kaeltyn can be just as mesmerizing to an audience when she is doing less.”

Definitely like the sound of this!

Cant Skate

Kaetlyn is back in an airboot this week :( Same injury as last summer by the sounds of things...stress reaction type fracture. Hope this isn't the start of something serious...poor kid.

Jiazumi

Aw srsly, she's like the only new and upcoming skater that actually I can watch without falling alseep.

C'mon Kaetlyn!

shutterbug

Kaetlyn is back in an airboot this week :( Same injury as last summer by the sounds of things...stress reaction type fracture. Hope this isn't the start of something serious...poor kid.
Oh crud. :( I'd hate to see her get a late start again this year. Hopefully they caught it early this time. Is she breaking in new boots?

coppertop1

Here's hoping Kaetlyn has a good 14-15 season and is healthy. I think it's good that she's trying out different choreographers (not that I dislike her material that Vipond gave her, he always picked out great material), but it's always good to branch out and try new things, instead of sticking to your comfort zone. I like Kamarlengo's material, he was great with Weaver/Poje's tango and I loved Akiko's Phantom of the Opera music (I do think POTO is overused, but with good reason and she made it fresh).

Best of luck, Kaetlyn! She's one of my favourites, I love how she puts her personality into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information