#2 KAETLYN OSMOND : CANADA'S SWEETHEART

hohoho

Can someone describe what happened on the layback? I missed the skate and can't watch any videos online at the moment.

Hi Luna_skater, Kaetlyn does and illusion into a layback. It seems to me in the video that she wasn't totally ready for the illusion and never recovered from there. She did try but it looks like the amount of travel she developed from the start she could not control. Too bad though, take that spin out and it was a awesome skate.

hirtmoles31

It was too bad about the spin. I wonder how higher her score would be without it. That is usually a strong element for her.

hohoho

It was great to see her doing a harder triple-triple than she had ever done. That shows she knows she needs to up the ante technically to contend in the future which is great.

she noted in article that this jump layout was the plan before the injuries started. It actually makes more sense. Even though the 3T/3T is an easier combo, it is also the most risky. You have a problem with the first 3T and cannot do the second 3T then you cannot add it to the solo jump. Kaetlyn can to the 3F/3T and 3Lz/3T so she has the option. I don't think you will see her change back to the 3T/3T. She requires the 3L for the long to be able to get a 3-3 in there

Jiazumi

I have hope for Kaetlyn!! 8th place isn't so bad for someone battling injuries all season.

hohoho

I have hope for Kaetlyn!! 8th place isn't so bad for someone battling injuries all season.

And a blown spin. I think she is definitely one to look out for. She has the tricks. As mentioned before just some more refinement. It may help she is doing CSOI tour this year.

professordeb

My guess is that once she skates clean, and doesn't miss most of an entire season with injuries, we'll see a rise in her PCS -- like next season?

Seerek

she noted in article that this jump layout was the plan before the injuries started. It actually makes more sense. Even though the 3T/3T is an easier combo, it is also the most risky. You have a problem with the first 3T and cannot do the second 3T then you cannot add it to the solo jump. Kaetlyn can to the 3F/3T and 3Lz/3T so she has the option. I don't think you will see her change back to the 3T/3T. She requires the 3L for the long to be able to get a 3-3 in there

Or vice versa. Alex Majorov got an invalid element for his 3 Lutz - 2 toe combination in the short program because he doubled his quadruple toe loop solo jump (which I find kind of strange since while it's a repeated element, the solo jump is prescribed to be at least a triple for the men).

Kaetlyn must have been pretty consistent with the 3F-3T in practice over the past couple of seasons to be hitting it in only her second attempt ever in the short program. That shows how naturally talented she is; she can come back from injury over the course of the same season and get back her most difficult combination in time for Worlds.

hohoho

Can someone explain to me how Kaetlyn gets an edge call on her 3lz and Julia Lipnitskaia does not?

shutterbug

New Bev Smith article: Goosebump time in Japan

Canadian champion Kaetlyn Osmond met her challenge, too. Skating in only her second international competition of the season, she threw herself a challenge of attempting a more difficult triple-triple in the short (triple flip – triple toe loop as opposed to triple toe loop – triple toe loop) and met it. She did miss up a layback spin that is her favourite. “I just got a little excited and pushed a little hard and lost my edge,” she said. She’s on a roll, though. Coming into this event, she’s been skating perfect programs almost every day – the best she’s ever felt coming into a competition, so there may be more to come in the long program. She’s eighth, equalling her overall finish at her first worlds last year, and she’s dangerous because she skates with absolute delight. Sometimes, that’s what it takes.

The 3F-3T combo was nothing short of amazing. :cheer2: So happy for her! She lost about 3 points on the spin (based on her score from the SP at the Team Event), so it would have only moved her up one place had she not missed it. Re: the “e” call on the lutz, which type of entrance does Lipnitskaia use? Kaetlyn does hers off a back crossover, which is more prone to allowing a switch to an inside edge. My coach refuses to teach it that way because she feels the judges want to clearly see a good, sustained back outside edge before the jump. Not that this approach necessarily prevents all flutzing, but she figures why give the judges a reason to look too closely?

For the FP, Kaetlyn will skate first in the 2nd last group: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2014/SEG004.HTM Bah. :(

danafan

Canadian ladies über
New Bev Smith article: Goosebump time in Japan

The 3F-3T combo was nothing short of amazing. :cheer2: So happy for her! She lost about 3 points on the spin (based on her score from the SP at the Team Event), so it would have only moved her up one place had she not missed it. Re: the “e” call on the lutz, which type of entrance does Lipnitskaia use? Kaetlyn does hers off a back crossover, which is more prone to allowing a switch to an inside edge. My coach refuses to teach it that way because she feels the judges want to clearly see a good, sustained back outside edge before the jump. Not that this approach necessarily prevents all flutzing, but she figures why give the judges a reason to look too closely?

For the FP, Kaetlyn will skate first in the 2nd last group: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2014/SEG004.HTM Bah. :(

Draw inspiration from Alaine Chartrand, who drew the same start order for the free at Junior Worlds, skated clean, and moved up two spots :)

shutterbug

Well, I'm going to speak plainly here - that FP performance kinda sucked. :( And not directly because of her injuries this season either IMHO. The jump content is exactly the same as it has been in her last two FP's, and she skated it almost perfectly at Canadians in early January. Pretty hard to use the lack of training time as an excuse.

I think the pattern we're starting to see with Kaetlyn is that in order to skate well she needs a.) to be challenged and b.) to feel confident that her programs are competitive. Prior to the Worlds she talked about wanting to skate 2 "perfect" programs. Her SP wasn't perfect, but she did rise to the challenge with the new jumps and was very happy with the result. The technical content of her current FP is not competive with that of the top skaters, and she knew she would have to skate perfectly in order to maintain her position. Poor girl looked scared to death before her skate, in contrast to the confidence she displayed skating out for her SP. The end result is a poorly skated program with nothing meaningful to take away from it. I can appreciate that there wasn't much time to change things up before Worlds, but it might have been worth the risk to have her do a 3flip-3toe to open and then change the 3toe to a 3lutz in the 3 jump combo at the end. Even if she doubled the lutz or gotten another "e" call, she still would have gone into it feeling like she could compete with the other girls. Of course this is just MHO, and I admit to knowing diddly squat about coaching a skater at her level. :lol: I'm sure her team had their reasons for wanting to maintain the status quo.

All that said, I hope she elects to keep Cleopatra for next season because I think it's a great vehicle for her and she could do a lot more with it.

shine

You may be right shutterbug. I feel like there have been quite a few FP performances where she started out strong only to unravel in the second half. So far she has been a muc stronger short program skater than long program skater. Her talent is truly enormous and she seems to love to compete. So whatever is holding her back from skating at a higher level in the FP I hope their team is able to figure out over the summer.

puglover

I'm sure she was disappointed as well but this has been a very long season and she had the disadvantage of such a late start. She did both of her programs twice at the Olympics and I think the pressure must surely have been on her as ladies was definitely Canada's weakest link. Now a month later she is at World's so I'm prepared to cut her some slack. She did up the tech in her short and that is a big accomplishment. Hopefully she has a better summer training and can start next year ready to go.

spikydurian

Some of us may think Katelyn has fallen a wee short in performance but pug has a point. It has been a demanding season for Katelyn considering her injuries and the demands on her. She will bounce back next season.

puglover

I sense a real fire in Gabrielle Daleman and she seemed to get some notice at the Olympics and World's - even with injury and perhaps not her best skates. Also, Alaine C. had a good Junior World's. I think that is great for motivation for Kaetlyn going forward. Nothing like a real fight at home to make stronger skaters when they go up against the world's best and hopefully Canada now has a few ladies who can really push each other.

euterpe

IMO, Kaetlyn must have reinjured herself sometime between the SP and the FS. I watched her warmup before she skated and she was having trouble landing her jumps. She looked really worried when she went over to speak to Ravi. This has been a tough season for her, and it seems as if she's never completely recovered from the initial injury and has suffered additional injuries on top of that. I hope she will take time off to rest and allow herself to heal.

puglover

Well, she came through for Canada in the team event and skated away with an Olympic silver medal so she had her best skates (as I recall) when she had the most at stake. She is a tough cookie so clearly something was off here. She has a great team around her and Ravi seems to have the right personality for her at the boards. I know training costs have been an issue in the past and they have had to make decisions accordingly. I did post up thread somewhere some online sights where people can make financial contributions to certain skaters to help provide special opportunities. I think Canada gives some financial renumeration for Olympic medals don't they?

rvi5

I know training costs have been an issue in the past and they have had to make decisions accordingly. I did post up thread somewhere some online sights where people can make financial contributions to certain skaters to help provide special opportunities. I think Canada gives some financial renumeration for Olympic medals don't they?

Since the Beijing Olympics. Last I heard, it was $20K for Gold, $15K for Silver, and $10K for Bronze.

Kaetlyn has also acquired new sponsorship from the Oasis company (Orange juice).

puglover

Well, that is great to hear and I believe she is doing the full CSOI as well this year. Fingers crossed for her that she is not reinjured and can take full advantage of these opportunities as well as get in the training for next season. It must be so wonderful for those still competing, young skaters to travel and learn from the true showmen and veterans of the sport.

shutterbug

CBC interview after the FP (might be geoblocked outside of Canada): http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/figureskating/video/#id=2445581341 Aww, poor kid. :(

Sorry if I came across as overly negative. Not disappointed in her at all, just disappointed for her. It’s been a tough year, and she’s done remarkably well. I’m so thrilled she was finally able to get the 3flip-3toe combo in a program. :cheer2: And a great big gorgeous one at that. :HA!: Looking forward to seeing what she has in store for us next season. :)

Also very much looking forward to seeing her in CSOI in May. Any thoughts on which programs she’ll do? I’m guessing Sweet Charity & Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

Well, she came through for Canada in the team event and skated away with an Olympic silver medal so she had her best skates (as I recall) when she had the most at stake.

Not to mention getting 2 women's spots for Canada at Worlds last year and at Jr. Worlds the year before that.......

clarie

I really think that touring with all those seasoned skaters will do her the world of good. I'm sure she'll get a lot of good advice from them. It's probably a matter of getting the adrenals under control during comps......and doing more comps which she couldn't do this year. I'm sure she'll be up and at'em next year barring further injury :). Canadian ladies are beginning to "rock" :)

hohoho

I hear that Kaetlyn is in toronto this week at the Glencoe Club working with Shae-Lynn. Potential choreographer change?

SochiDid

Banned Member
I love her hips (for now) but I don't think it is necessarily good for figure skating.

Anyway, when Marchei skated to her long program this season I didn't believe it, but if only Kaetlyn skated to that program, oh god, I would totally take a moment, if you know what I mean.

shutterbug

I hear that Kaetlyn is in toronto this week at the Glencoe Club working with Shae-Lynn. Potential choreographer change?

New show program for SOI?

Probably is a show program for SOI. Shae just did one for Joannie last month, so it makes sense that Jo would suggest Kaetlyn give her a try as well. Good stuff. :) Will be very curious to see how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information