1st Senior B in USA to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah in mid-September

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

I'm starting a new thread from these April 6th posts in the earlier U.S. Senior B speculation thread and a few other reliable sources:
    Still waiting for this competition to be listed in the ISU 2012-13 Calendar as well as an official announcement via USFS.

2. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

Was the US only getting one Event B, or trying for another one in California in addition (previous thread topic)?

3. Sylvia

I believe only one Senior B was planned for the U.S. and we know of at least 3 clubs that bid to host it.

4. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Salt Lake is 4320' above sea level. Not as bad as Colorade Springs (6000') but may be a bit taxing for those not used to it.

5. euterpe

double post.

6. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Meh. I wuzrobbed of a 20 minute door-to-rink drive for this. OTOH, it's a short flight to SLC, and I've never been anywhere but the airport there. Wherever it is, :) that the USA will be hosting one of these.

7. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I think it's 4,900 feet about sea level that starts to affect humans. I don't remember altitude being a problem at the Olympics.

8. euterpe

I recall that it was a concern for skaters who train at sea level. All the top skaters arrived well ahead of the event in order to get accustomed to the altitude.

Altitude will affect some people more than others. Anyone with asthma or other breathing problems can feel uncomfortable at 2000'. My husband had COPD and Lake Placid (1900') was a problem for him.

9. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

While I wish this B event were in Ontario, so I could attend, I am so happy US will host a B Event!

Yeah us!

10. Lil Sarah

Lil Sarah Member

I'm hoping that means more Canadian athletes will get the opportunity to compete

11. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Great that there's finally a Senior B event in North America!

12. aster

aster Member

The sanction is listed in the Governing Council book.

13. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Cup O'Salt?

Any word on whether it includes all disciplines?

14. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

:rofl: Maybe 'Skate Salt Lake'?

But seriously, this is great news! Finally a Sr. B in North America! :cheer2:

15. Sylvia

"Skate Salt Lake" is the name of the club's annual summer competition :) (this year's dates are August 9-11, 2012): http://saltlakefigureskating.com

Thanks for the provisional sanction info, aster!

16. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

The Senior B submission in California was from the Glacier Falls Figure Skating Club, Inc. (host of 2004 Jr. Grand Prix of Long Beach, 2006 US Collegiate, numerous SWPs and most recently 2011 U. S. Synchro Nationals and sponsor of Skaters Care, a benefit for Japan Tsunami Relief).

It was proposed by GF that the Senior B be held in conjunction with the Glacier Falls Summer Classic, held annually in early August. In response, US Figure Skating felt that date was too early for the Senior B season. Glacier Falls did not want to change the well established date of a major West Coast competition. GF also felt that a stand alone Senior B would not be financially successful due to the high costs of running a competition in Southern California.

Salt Lake City has an excellent facility with a well established financial foundation (proceeds of the 2002 Winter Olys) and a terrific club and volunteer base. They will run a great competition.

My sincere best wishes to them on having a great event.

euler likes this.
  17. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Yeah for a North American Senior B!!!

18. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

The altitude here is about 4400 feet. (I use high altitude directions for baking). Of course it depends on where you are as this is the mountains. Altitude can have an affect on skaters. However, since the Winter Olympics are often, if not mostly, held at altitude, skaters will always need to train for it.

Steiner (our name for the Salt Lake Sports Complex where adult Nationals were) is indeed a great facility and I can't imagine this competition will be held anywhere else. I believe this is happening because there is a young group of very capable and very enthusiastic people in the Utah Figure Skating Club who are going after competitions again.

I surely hope I will be able to see most of this competition. Will Salt Lake be the permanent home for this competition? I bet it won't be.

19. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Are you in the SLC area? I live in Clearfield. :)

20. Sylvia

ISU Communication No. 1727, published today, lists the new U.S. Senior B, September 13–16, in Salt Lake City, Utah. :)

All 4 disciplines are included in the ISU Communication chart, but it will depend on many entries in each discipline are submitted by the participating federations.

Copying this over from the "2012-13 Schedule for International Figure & Synchronized Skating Competitions" thread in GSD:
    I believe this is the first-ever Senior B in the USA so we'll have to wait for the competition announcement to be published online.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  21. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

My memory says that most senior B's are in the same place each year. Is that correct? Do we have any idea if the Salt Lake Senior B will be in Salt Lake each year. It would be very cool if it was.

22. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Okay, thank you Sylvia -- for the answer in reference to the questions on how many USA athletes can participates, and who determines that.

23. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

It would be cool...if your skater likes skating at altitude, and if you live in the West.

OTOH, there is no reason that an East Coast Senior B couldn't be held, if not in the US, then in Canada.

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Can't believe that USFS is calling it "a senior B" in their official documents. :D

And yeah, great news!

Not only for American, Canadian and Mexican skaters but also for all the foreign skaters who train in US and Canada (and there are many). :)

25. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

It could be named the ┬┤Salt Lake SkateGate Memorial┬┤

26. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I believe they've invented things called airplanes which are very good when you want to get somewhere far away from where you live. ;)

They could turn Thornhill into an international event. Oh wait, they tried to last season, but couldn't get their act together. :p

27. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Yes, lovey, there are airplanes...for those that can afford them...and afford the room & board & tickets at the same time, in the same year.

:lol:

However, the difficulty of finding a bar near a hotel in SLC is sufficient that I hope USFS will choose a different venue in another year.

http://www.slctravel.com/liquor.htm

The above website is happy to inform you that in the whole state of Utah, there are now 400 bars...that is, in 84,898 sq mi or 219,887 sq km...they do say it is now easier to drink in Utah though, than when we went there back in the 1990's.

And yes, Canada failed to get Thornhill going as a Senior B last year. It's a shock that USFS has managed to do the trick. I had thought Skate Canada was more efficient than USFS...

28. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Doesn't it depend on the number of federations represented by entrants and/or officials? So we still have to see whether SLC will pull it off.

Are they doing this as a stand-alone competition or in conjunction with an established club competition? That might have been part of the hangup with Thornhill?

I know my club considered bidding for the senior B in conjunction with our open competition and decided against it because it would be too much work to run essentially two major events at once.

29. Sylvia

It looks like this new Senior B is a stand-alone comp. Salt Lake Figure Skating's annual club competition, Skate Salt Lake, is scheduled for August 9-11, 2012, in Murray, UT and will be co-hosted by the Murray Silver Blades FSC: http://www.saltlakefigureskating.com/ (no mention yet of this Senior B on their club site)

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

#firstworldproblems :drama:

Skating events = temporary food deprivation.

YOU GOTTA SUFFER FOR SKATING.