1994 Olympics in Lillehammer - Controversial Results across the Board!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Xela M, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

Thank you. I didn't realise she was already pregnant before the Olympics in '92. I guess it makes sense because the rumour was that he told Natalia about it on the bus after they had won Gold. However, I didn't think things were resolved before '94 because they looked quite disastrous right before they actually stepped out onto the ice and put down two show stopping performances and both Tamara and Artur made some quite public unkind comments about Natalia.

Artur is not really the sensitive type :D I have read a few of his interviews on Artur Jr. He doesn't sugarcoat things.

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

T&D were probably the second-fastest team that night. G&P were undeniably fastest.

3. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I would have marked the podiums as:

Pairs:
    1. G/G
    2. M/D
    3. S/N

Men:
    1. Urmanov
    2. Stojko
    3. Candeloro

Dance:
    1. T/D
    2. U/Z
    3. G/P

Ladies:
    1. Baiul
    2. Chen
    3. Kerrigan

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

My podiums would have been:

Pairs:
    Gold- Miskutienok & Dmitriev 2nd short, 1st long
    Silver- Gordeeva & Grinkov 1st short, 2nd long
    Bronze- Shishkova & Naumov 4th short, 3rd long
    4th- Brasseur & Eisler 3rd short, 4th long

Men:
    Gold- Stojko- 1st short, 1st long
    Silver- Urmanov- 2nd short, 2nd long
    Bronze- Candelero- 4th short, 3rd long

Dance:
    Gold- Usova Zhulin- 1st golden waltz, 3rd Blues, 2nd Rhumba, 1st free dance
    Silver- Torvill Dean- 4th golden waltz, 2nd Blues, 1st Rhumba, 2nd free dance
    Bronze- Grischuk Platov- 2nd golden waltz, 1st Blues, 4th Rhumba, 3rd free dance

for anyone wondering I had Rahkammo & Kokko 3rd in both the golden waltz and Rhumba.

Ladies:
    Gold- Kerrigan- 1st short program, 3rd long
    Silver- Sato- 6th short program, 1st long
    Bronze- Chen- 4th short program, 2nd long (although I might have put Chen 1st over Sato in the long just to prevent the travesty of Kerrigan being crowned Olympic Champion)

5. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Perfectly stated! :rofl:

I was fine with the men's and dance results.

I've always felt that -- as much as I adored G/G -- M/D should have won gold that night.

6. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

I can't remember what article I read it in, but apparently one of the judges approached Artur after the long programme and said that, even though she voted for G&G, she thought M&D skated better. The same article also referred to Basseur & Eisler skating so slowly they could have been arrested for loitering :D

Basseur & Eisler also hilariously complained that neither G&G nor M&D should have been allowed to return, so they really won the Gold medal :rofl:

7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

It was the Starlight Waltz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk_Pwqr-MyQ&feature=player_embedded
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SmgkaCvF6Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Fb79U6OmE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV0JocVnOUs

The Golden Waltz wasn't introduced as a compulsory dance until 1995-96.

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:rofl: So true. And so funny, berthesghost.

9. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Do you mean the starlight waltz? I think the golden waltz came into existence as a compulsory dance at around 1996-1997. I could be wrong though. I agree with G&P being 4th in the OD though. The rhumba was badly suited to them (Oksana anyways) and they put far too much attack and energy into it. They scaled it back for worlds though and had refined it somewhat.

I never saw the Finn's waltz CD. Did they perform it well? One rendition of the starlight waltz that I'll never forget is Klimova & Ponomarenko's from the 1990 Goodwill Games. It was picture perfect.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  10. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I remember really looking back at the content of the two programs after 2002 and being utterly surprised at how little Oksana actually did. The problem is, I have such an irrational dislike for Kerrigan's skating, that, even to this day, I can't be anything other than grateful that she isn't an OGM.

11. nguyhm

nguyhm Member

Oksana skated with a "scared" look on her face. She later built up more confidence and looked more relaxed but still carried herself pretty "stiff". She did look "obedient". To me Natalia was much prettier and a lot more feminine.

12. nguyhm

nguyhm Member

I find Oleg very attractive in his younger days, it's a shame that his looks went downhill as he aged :(

13. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I don't think pretty had anything to do it. Personally, I feel uncomfortable with those kinds of remarks in sports discussions. I would say that Natalia had better ease of movement and perhaps felt more comfortable. By the time Oksana came long, this was no longer a partnership of equals, but a superstar skating with a nobody and quite frankly, Artur and Tamara got off on it, playing Henry Higgins and whatever his sidekicks name was. I wouldn't say they treated either woman very nicely.

14. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

I definitely see that with Kazakova, and I feel like as a group they named that and even artistically expressed it in their Matrix program where she was the puppet. And, poetically, breaks free :)

15. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I highly doubt your dislike for her skating can be irrational given all that one can criticize: the stiffness, the wooden personality, the joyless facial expressions, the terrible music choices, the aerobic choreography, and so on. Her high presentation marks were always a joke to me. I do compliment her taste in dresses, her relatively solid technique, and the way she overcame adversity in 1994. Still, for someone so erratic in consistency, she managed to accomplish quite a lot, much more so than other skaters in history who were just as inconsistent. For Nancy, her success was all about timing and the good fortune to come up in the ranks during a time when ladies competition was rather weak outside of Midori Ito and Kristi Yamaguchi.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  16. whispermink

whispermink New Member

Usova & Zhulin had an awful free dance and it was much weaker than Torvill & Dean and Grischuk & Platov performed that night, but since they were reigning world champions and it was their turn for the gold medal they should have been given it, and the judges were wrong not to. They are too great a team to not win an Olympic gold too, and Torvill & Dean already had one and Grischuk & Platov were almost certain to get in in the future, so even though their performance sucked that night, they should have given it for their overall careers.

I would given the womens gold to Witt since her winning her 3rd Olympic gold would be a better story and none of the women were even that good anyway, so why not. Baiul landed the same number of clean triples as Witt.

Men I would given to Urmanov since Stojko was so ugly while Alexei is quite handsome, and their skating was about the same.

Pairs I would given to Artur Dmitriev since he is hotter than Sergei, and the performances were about the same, so I go with the cuter.

17. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

I love this :D Are you Balkov? :judge:

18. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Absolutely disgusting rationale. Go watch a beauty pageant and leave the sports to people who enjoy a real athletic competition. :rolleyes:

19. platapus

platapus New Member

Usova & Zhulin should have won since they were the only team to perform well in all phases. Torvill & Dean had weak compulsories this year that if anyone else had performed would have gotten 8th or 9th. Gritschuk & Platov had a weak OD that deserved no higher than 4th and should have taken them out of gold running, especialy when Usova & Zhulin did better compulsories too.

20. platapus

platapus New Member

Baiul the ladies gold and Kerrigan only bronze. Are you on crack. You do realize 99% of people think it was a disgrace Baiul beat Kerrigan for gold by just .1 of the point dont you. Now you are pushing Baiul well ahead on the podium too. Too funny.

21. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Torvill & Dean's blues CD was hardly weak. Sure, they had some weak free leg positions but their chocktaw (sp?) was excellent. It was better than Usova & Zhulin's. I thought U&Z should've been 3rd in the blues CD. And U&Z's FD was not only cheesy but it was slow. My biggest criticism of them over the years has been their lack of content while they really improved upon that in 1994, look at how much their speed and flow cut back. That being said, there's of course a good argument for them to have been first and they didn't really break any rules unlike the other 2 couples in the free dance.

22. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I just watched Oksana's LP for the first time since being bitterly disappointed in 1994. I think I've seen that "circular step sequence" in a Sonja Henie movie. If you keep your eye on the blade on the ice she's really not doing a whole lot at any point, and suddenly I have a new appreciation for Uncle Dick's feelings on ugly laybacks. I don't care who, I'd have put someone ahead of that.

23. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

24. fenway2

At yet someone on this thread placed Oksana two places ahead of Nancy. :lol:

25. michaelfsfan

michaelfsfan Princess Glee (TM)

I think the judges were distracted by what Baiul was doing above the waist during her programs and forgot to pay attention to what she was doing with her legs. :p

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

Maybe the judges had a taste of Kerrigan's personality ;)

27. michaelfsfan

michaelfsfan Princess Glee (TM)

What personality? :EVILLE:

28. fenway2

Give me sullen, awkward and withdrawn over a hysterical drama queen anyday. :D

29. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

That's not awkward and withdrawn, that's self-obsessed and disgraceful. Give me Tonya over Nancy anyday :p

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  30. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Maybe it was a Japanese thing, but all of their top ladies including Junko Yaginuma, Kumiko Kawai and Hanae Yokoya around 1994 appeared to have the same haircut and costume designer.