1994 Olympics in Lillehammer - Controversial Results across the Board!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Xela M, Mar 31, 2014.

1. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

94' was like the Sympathy Olympics lbr.

Andora and (deleted member) like this.
  2. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I am bored with how we poster's too often say "I'm fine with so-and-so's win" from 1,062 years ago as if it could be protested or disputed now if you weren't "fine" with it. The events are not really still debated or debatable. Using the past tense of I was fine with it (if you were a fan alive at that time), or "I agree with his/her winning" would be better.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm fine with Torvill/Dean getting first place in the OD.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  4. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I'm bored by posters who use unnecessary apostrophes.

5. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Some of us post with iPhones that proffer ungrammatical things... ;)

6. coraczek

coraczek Member

I was only ok with the Urmanov's gold medal. IMHO neither Oksana nor G/P and G/G should have won gold medals.

7. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I was very upset at the time about Torvil and Dean getting penalized for very interesting lifts. That made the result meaningless. It felt similar when Michelle Kwan got an overtime deduction in 2004 Worlds. Certain skating rules were stupid under 6.0, and that's why I didn't mind when its butt the hit the door on the way out. Judges took idiosyncratic penalties and referees did random things.

8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I am fine with Oksana having bigger hair than Nancy.

9. coraczek

coraczek Member

And G/P weren't penalised for too long moments of dancing without holding hands.

10. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Yeah, my general view is that ice dancing was a fraud under 6.0. Up to and including the win by Bourne & Kraatz in 2003 the results seemed to be totally fixed before every event. The judges had a scheme and an alibi to insure Lillehammer went to G/P.

11. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think Lillehammer was the first completely professional figure skating Olympics. The sport was amateur before this. It changed everything, and opened all new cans of worms.

12. nguyhm

nguyhm Member

Sergei and Artur were very good friends. I agree with you that Artur and Katia would not have been a good match, Artur was better with someone more powerful and not as dainty as Katia. Natalia was the best match for him. Oksana was ok but it was not the same as M&D.

13. nguyhm

nguyhm Member

Her life story as an orphan sleeping in the ice rink until her coach took her in could have made an impact.... - for me anyway since that stuck in my mind more than her skating :slinkaway. As for bad hairdo, Oksana wins with that frizzy bang :slinkaway. Although I have to admit that her "artistry" was a breadth of fresh air at the time.

14. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I never liked Oksana Kazakova, but funnily enough Artur was more generous when speaking about her in interviews than he ever was about Natalia. In fact, he said that Oksana was a lot more passionate and artistic on the ice than Natalia, which I really can't see :confused:

I know Artur was great friends with both Sergei and Katia and I remember her supporting him in Nagano when he won with Oksana. Even if Artur and Katia were probably the best pairs skaters ever, I don't think the public would have accepted Katia with anyone but Sergei, especially not so soon after his death.

I still love that story, just as I loved Baiul's friendship with Petrenko. I was so gutted when she sued both him and Galina :(

15. nguyhm

nguyhm Member

To me Oksana was like a robot compared to Natalia, her movements were "programmed" - it's ironic that they had a program with her character as a wind up doll or a puppet - and the way she wrapped her free leg in spins and/or jumps drove me nuts.... (her foot was not pointed out in straight line with the leg...) - I know it's easier said than done but I expect better...

16. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

She laughed off that story years ago claiming it was all greatly exaggerated. Of course, with Oksana, who knows what is true anymore.

17. Muffin

Muffin New Member

I always thought Artur and Moskvina liked Kazakova because she was obedient (for the most part) and didn't interfere with their genius or try to horn in on Artur's spotlight.

18. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they never skated to copelia. It's like artur created her in a lab from his sister's doll. which is perhaps why he speaks more highly of her IMHO. control issues

19. Xela M

Xela M New Member

Oksana Kazakova really was like a wind up doll programmed by Artur and Tamara! Their little project. I absolutely love Artur, but he was quite cruel in the way he spoke about Natalia. Both him and Tamara kept telling her that he could easily leave her for another partner if she didn't get her act together, didn't lose weight etc. I remember watching a short documentary on them and it said Natalia fell into depression and gained a lot of weight before and after 1994. I thought she skated beautifully, although Artur was always the star.

It's karma that Artur now looks like a mixture of old Marlon Brando and GĂ©rard Depardieu, whereas Natalia aged quite well and certainly is not overweight.

20. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Artur and Katia would not be a good match. Their styles just arent similar at all.

Oksana and Artur were a pretty good match, although she isnt as strong a skater as Natalia. I am not surprised Artur says differently and praises her more though. Natalia did not get along that well with Artur or Tamara after 92, and they threatened to ditch her from their team many times. He mantained a very good personal relationship with Oksana into a long and excellent pro career, and even coaching together awhile.

21. VIETgrlTerifa

He probably enjoyed her company more. Sometimes one's personality just meshes better with one than the other even if the other is more talented. It happens all the time.

22. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I'm surprised Artur hasn't had more success as a coach or am I missing something? Does he coach any of the top teams? He was practically an assistant to Tamara even when he skated. Apparently he helped her coach Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, even when they were competing against them in 1998 and he always had his own view about choreography. He practically choreographed his and Natalia's 1994 long programme, which I thought was spectacular! Tamara wanted them to skate to swan lake, which would have been awful given Natalia's look.

23. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Natalia is a beautiful skater but she does strike me as a somewhat difficult personality.

24. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Most skaters are very photogenic compared to the rest of the population, but Artur and Kazakova always stood out as exceptions. Natalia was much easier on the eyes.

25. icespin31

icespin31 New Member

Are you me? God, it's so rare to find another person here who appreciates Oksana's artistry... I agree, I've never seen a more artistic ladies skater. The way she moves on ice is just so special. Nancy otoh... is so stiff and does such jarring ugly movements.

Back to the main topic, I think G/G should have won. I need to rewatch men and dance to decide.

26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Oksana achieved beautiful speed and did so effortlessly without looking like a hunched over troll. She was one of a kind.

27. Xela M

Xela M New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZFLYV6CTlM Here is a video which compares G&G to M&D in Lillehammer. It starts off by saying M&D were robbed, but then actually proves why G&G rightfully won. I must say, as a casual viewer, I didn't realise all the technicalities mentioned in the video.

I guess it's impossible not to like G&G. Katia Gordeeva was so beautiful and G&G's long programme was so magical that M&D looked like angry heavy weight wrestlers in comparison. Although I loved M&D's expression and Artur was a superstar. I also loved the fact that M&D stepped up and skated their absolute best on the night, despite all the disasters they had in practice and off the ice. They really showed what champions are made of.

28. Xela M

Xela M New Member

Yay! I thought I was the only one on this board who loved Oksana Baiul :oksana1: a ballerina on ice!

29. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I have to agree with this. Oksana Kazakova looked terrible. I guess they chose her, so she doesn't overshadow Artur who I thought was pretty hot :eek: (a 'man's man')
    Natalia Mishkutenok was quite pretty with long hair. I didn't think the short hair suited her.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  30. VIETgrlTerifa

I think people finding Oksana to be artistic isn't that rare. Most people will cite to her Swan Lake SP and The Swan exhibition as two of the most artistic pieces in Olympic-eligible skating. They just find that LP to be beneath her even though her great qualities shine though. I find it funny that someone said Oksana wasn't hunched over, but I remember her posture could have been a lot better on her back crossovers.

I think it's popular around her to state that Oksana was a natural performer and could express music well.