1994 Olympics in Lillehammer - Controversial Results across the Board!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Xela M, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

The difference of course being that G&G were still head and shoulders above everyone else bar M&D and were in their 20's looking and skating better than ever. Whereas T&D were in their mid 30's looking and skating OK-ish but by no means in a league of their own.

I agree though that T&D expected a red carpet to be rolled out for them and be handed the OGM before they even skated.

2. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

Yes, it seems that's what we need here.

That's helpful to know. Yes, we don't want to jump to conclusions until we can see things in writing. But if her marks were inaccurate, that would be pretty lame. I mean, if you're going to appear on TV to criticize something, you should make extra sure you know what you're talking about. ;)

True.

3. neptune

Not necessarily--you really have to weigh each individual statement. For instance, if she said, "Evgeni has brown hair," would that automatically make it false? ;) OTOH, it does make sense to scrutinize anything she might have to say about them.

4. neptune

That's why it's hard for me to get all choked up about the fact they didn't win. They already had an OGM. I sympathize a bit more with U&Z, who were waiting their turn just like all the other top couples had in the past.

Even if an athlete/team who truly deserves a second OGM (in a later Games) is scored a bit unfairly and ends up with silver, is it really a tragedy, especially if they've made a killing up to that point? Are they really going to end up homeless and shivering on the streets in the winter? ;)

Here's something to think about: Would U&Z have stayed on top of the dance world if the Olympics hadn't changed schedules?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  5. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

I don't think so. G&P only got better with age and although i didn't like their FD in 1996, if they did their 1997 Libertango and The Feeling Begins - there would have been no contest. G&P were simply the better team.

6. coraczek

coraczek Member

I think we should distinguish Tracy Wilson's subjective statements from those objective ones. When she says "they never touched the audience" or "they don't understand the music" well, etc. is not the same as when she talks about the rules.
    I was always sorry for U&Z. Especially that I don't think their FD in 1994 was that bad. Well, it wasn’t a masterpiece, it was worse than their routines from previous years but personally I preferred it to G/P sloppy rock and roll routine. And their OD was much more better than G/P OD.
    Maybe it’s not a tragedy, especially from the perspective of viewers. But if athlete/team truly deserves a second OGM, it’s never ok if they didn’t get it because of unfair judging.
    Probably it would have been even more difficult for them in 1996 than in 1994. Not only because G/P were better, but also taking into account the strained relationship between Usova and Zhulin. As someone has already mentioned in this thread that probably even already in 1994 they didn’t train as much as they should have.

7. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

..but it will always be a matter of debate/taste/like and dislike and also of morality what "deserve" means. This goes for all medals, all competitions. The judges have their opinion (more or less based on rules and on knowledge, but also on their personal preferences), and viewers have their points of view, too.
    Stating that a skater/team deserved a (second) OGM and saying why one thinks so is reasonable, but it will inevitably lead to the conclusion that the actual winner of the OGM is considered undeserving, and that's something I generally try to avoid.
    This is why I'm so utterly disgusted by some T/D-fans who can't stop raving on YT that G/P should give "back" the OGMs they had "stolen" from T/D.

8. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

I don't know why people often try to discredit G&P's achievements and i actually believe Tracey Wilson and Chris Dean have a lot to answer for when it comes to G&P slander. G&P were a technically superior team who did more difficult tricks at higher speed. It's not surprising they won as many competitions as they did. In 1994 T&D did not deserve to win. Their compulsories were terrible and at the Europeans actually received a 5.2 from a judge. They deserved similar marks for their waltz at the Olympics. You don't hear Katti Witt demanding an OGM for her 1994 performance just because she is a legend of the sport. T&D 10 years older were not on the same level as G&P.

9. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I don't remember exactly what Wilson had to say. I don't remember her giving marks.

I'm not saying that her comments about deductions and rules were inaccurate -- just that she didn't read the whole rulebook to the audience. So possibly any fans who took what she did say, unaware of the rest of the rules, might have extrapolated inappropriate and concluded that three deductions were warranted when really it was only one.

10. coraczek

coraczek Member

My opinions about G/P have nothing to do with Wilson or Dean. Actually, only recently, have I seen some YT clips where Wilson commentated. In 1994 when I watched Olympics in front of TV in my country I had no idea what some commentators in Canada, USA, UK or wherever had to say about the competition. I also didn't have any access to postolympics interviews. So the fact that I found both OD and FD not deserving gold, was just based on my observation. I'm not going to argue that others have to agree with my opinions. What Shyjosie has written (
    ) is probably right.
    But Xela M, you also keep repeating that G/P were so superiour. If it were so obvious, there weren't be so much talking even 20 years after Lillehammer. So you have the right to think so, but you should realise that other people have the right to think otherwise and it doesn't mean they are less right than you are. You keep repeating that T/D and their fans wanted gold for T/D just because they were legends. Do you really believe that that was the reason why so many people were disappointed with the result? Don’t you think that maybe people really found their performance better than G/P's? Do you really think that FS fans want their favourites to achieve medals just for their past achievements and not for what they show on the ice?

Yazmeen and (deleted member) like this.
  11. coraczek

coraczek Member

There is a link a few pages back.

12. coraczek

coraczek Member

BTW If anybody asks why U/Z or T/D still moan about the Lillehammer results, I would like to notice that it was neither U/Z fan nor T/D fan who started this thread. It was G/P fan who wanted to bring back the controversy again.

13. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

First of all, i started this thread to discuss ALL the figure skating results in Lillehammer, not just G&P's win and I actually started it after re-watching G&G's and M&D's performances in pairs (as I mention in my first post). I have absolutely no problem with T&D's or U&Z's fans, but with Chris Dean himself being a sore loser and starting a campaign against G&P. Chris along with Tracey Wilson created the impression that G&P were robbing more talented teams of their medals, which was very far from the truth.

14. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

THIS. While I agree G/P were definitely talented, I don't believe they should have won that year (I was torn between U/Z and T/D, slightly in favor of U/Z) because that rock n' roll number was a speedskate with tricks, not an ice dance. And I will admit my "less than love" for this team has nothing to do with Evgeny. Pasha is my least favorite skater personality-wise of all time because of her unfettered narcissism. That woman was so in love with herself I'm surprised she didn't insist on carrying a mirror onto the ice so she could blow herself kisses while she danced. I did love "Libertango," but her selfish attitude just carried onto the ice for me and ruined the skating. While the "woman is the pretty picture, and the man is the frame" in ice dancing, you should be able to focus on both skaters. With Pasha, it was always about her, Evgeny was just along for the wild ride.

15. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

Whilst I agree that Pasha was an acquired taste personality-wise, she was an absolutely incredible ice dancer. Evgeny (and the media) always portrayed him as being this poor angel who was being dragged along kicking and screaming by the evil selfish speed-addict Pasha Grishuk. Whereas Evgeny was very competitive himself and loved it. He didn't dump Grishuk before they won everything there was to be won in amateur sport because he knew he couldn't win without her. Otherwise he could have stayed with Dubova and skated with Navka or with Usova when her and Zhulin couldn't stand each other anymore. Grishuk was unique, just like Chris Dean was unique. Both were extremely selfish, competitive and narcissistic, but amazing ice dancers.

P.S. It's not like Chris was a "frame" to Jayne. On the ice he demanded to be seen more than her.

16. fracturedleg

fracturedleg Member

All geniuses are a bit crazy and narcissistic. That is why Pasha and Dean are, and moreso than their partners who while great skaters are not true geniuses and stars in the same way. That is also why Scott Moir and Patrick Chan are both a bit of an ass. Anyone remember John Curry and Toller Cranston, now they take the cake, lol! The rest arent since while they might be great, they still arent true genuises.

17. fracturedleg

fracturedleg Member

Yes, we should distinguish between subjective and objective. However when the crowd is roaring in the background as they were after the 1997 worlds OD is plain stupid to shout out "they never touched the audience" so you can be heard about the roars in the back.

There can be no question Tracy Wilson was heavily biased to G&P. She never once just said flat out they are the best team. Not even in 1995 and 1996 when there was literally no team to even challenge them, she still tried to say teams like Rahkammo & Kokko and a still developing Krylova & Ovsiannikov were as good or better.

18. coraczek

coraczek Member

Have you got any links to her commentaries from 1995 and 1996 World or European Championships? I was trying to find any on YT, but in vain. There some clips with commentaries of Dick Button or Sandra Bezic. Did Wilson even commentate those events? I would really like to hear her comments.

19. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

Although she hasn't managed to win Olympic Gold (yet) to me Aliona Savchenko is a similar character to Pasha Grishuk. She is selfish and narcissistic and she looks like she would sell her own mother down the river to win an OGM. Victory at all costs! Robin just came along for the ride. I admire fanatics like them. Figure skating would be dull without such stand out characters.

20. ripingroar37

ripingroar37 Member

Pasha is a horrible women and a talentless ice dancer who won all her medals through politics. Tracy Wilson was just speaking the truth and y'all should accept that. Her Olympic gold was a farce. She robbed Maya of her husband, then her olympic gold. She should be put in jail for treason.

21. Yazmeen

I can actually see at least some of that in Aliona.

My fevered imagination just pictured Christopher Dean trying to skate with Pasha. There would be a tornado on the ice... :eek:

22. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

Haha! I would love to be there for their training sessions :lol: There would be blood on the ice.

23. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

It came to my mind, too.
    I wonder who of them would be the survivor...?

24. ripingroar37

ripingroar37 Member

Pasha is a deluded quack who thought she was Marilyn Monroe and Madonna. Marilyn Monroe is a star, one of a kind, Pasha could never be her as much as she dreams to be. Madonna would be furious at this poser who was trying to imitate her. Madonna is a classy women who even screwed a bull once. Pasha could never be here.

25. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Dude, what? :lol:

26. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

Of course Pasha is the quack... :rolleyes:

27. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think ripingroar37 is referring to the time where Madonna dated Dennis Rodman who was a Chicago Bulls basketball player.

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Yazmeen

God, I hope so...

29. neptune

Good point, but we still don't know for sure yet if her comments were accurate.

Certainly. I'm just talking about contests that many would consider "close." I definitely wouldn't want to see outrageous judging just so that an athlete/team wouldn't get a second OGM.

I agree that G&P were better technically, but definitely not artistically. In fact, I think G&P were the Mariah Careys of the dance world--a lot of technical ability, but not much else. ;) I love this description of Mariah Carey that a British reviewer once gave, and I think it fits G&P as well:

[Carey] has a fine technical voice but the emotional resonance of a car park. :lol:

So they slacked off??? Why was that?

30. coraczek

coraczek Member

I love it :lol:

I only heard that they couldn't stand each other, so spent as much time as they thought it was necessary minimum, not more. But I don't know if is true, maybe just some gossips.