1994 Olympics in Lillehammer - Controversial Results across the Board!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Xela M, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

As arrogant and despicable as I find Dean, I have to admit he was a genius. He made T&D into what they were just like Pasha made G&P and I admire both of them. Jayne and Evgeni were extremely fortunate to be part of those teams. Both Dean and Pasha would probably have made champions out of whoever they were partnered up with.

2. coraczek

coraczek Member

Ok, I wasn't precise. Somebody who uploaded the documentary in YT, divided it into 4 parts. The link was to the first part. You can see the crying in the 4th part, which is also on YT.

She wasn't sane. It's not surprising why so many people liked Platov (and hated Oksana). They just felt sympathy for him:D.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  3. coraczek

coraczek Member

I don't agree. I don't think it would be easy for them to find partners which would stand their moods.

4. angelflies

angelflies Active Member

Dean maybe but Pasha is a charming, humble, and sweet women who any man would be privileged to skate with. Platov just made a bad impression of her since he was jealous that she wanted to sleep with old creepy Zhulin rather than him, which I understand as I also dont know what she was smoking in that case.

5. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Sure, but it depends on what form the corn comes in. If it's moist, you could sit around the popcorn maker for hours, but all you'd end up with is mush!!! :) Of course, some other possibilities are grits, corn on the cob, and Paula Deen's corn-pone soup. :D

Well, Nancy just had so many tasty options available to her, but all she did was take the easy way out. ;)

6. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

No it isn't. What they are saying is, even if I take off a tenth for the separation, that dance is still worth more than anyone else's. It is only one tiny piece of a 4.5 minute dance full of all kinds of other stuff. From the judges POV, it is not any different than deciding it doesn't make much difference that Grinkov singled the salchow and that you think the harder lifts more than made up for it. It was one pair of marks for the entire skate, not spreadsheets like we have today.

Also, we don't really know if judges did give a lower score or not. The complaint was that, for a rules violation, the event referee was supposed to give a sign of some kind advising the judges of the need for a deduction (as was done for the two illegal D&T elements) and he didn't do that for G&P. That does not necessarily mean that the judges who saw it for themselves did not take it into consideration anyway.

But all this still misses the major concept of 6.0 scoring, in which the absolute points are meaningless. The actual scores were only the means to an end. If the judge found that dance so superior to the others that it should win even with the separation, then he gives marks that will put them first. If the referee had called for the automatic deduction, then the judge would have given 6.0 instead of 5.9 or bumped up the presentation mark if that was necessary to keep them ahead of the next skater.

7. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

Tarasova did say that Grishuk was mentally ill. But as much as Platov had to put up with her tantrums and insanity, he was very competitive himself and knew that he needed her in order to win. In a recent-ish interview he said that he never had a partner like Grishuk because as long as he was with her, he had a feeling that he could win anything. She had incredible energy and was such a fanatic of skating that she would rather die than come second.

8. angelflies

angelflies Active Member

If the clubbing never happened Nancy Bore-again would have been only 4th or 5th in Lillehammer. She might have even finished below Harding who might have won a medal. First off she had a history for choking under pressure. She needed the clubbing to give her a sharper focus.

Secondly the judges have everyone reason to write her off. She had been heavy favorite for the gold at the 93 worlds and even with Baiul, Bonaly, and Chen skating great there they were ready to hand it to her on a silver platter if she just made 2 mistakes or less but she blew up and took 9th in the long program. So she lost the reputation edge she had lucked into getting in the first place just by being older and her lucky 91 and 92 medals. They had no reason to consider her a favorite anymore. She wouldnt have been treated like a favorite by the judges and peoples expectations of the judges without the clubbing and the notoriety it gave her.

Thirdly the other skaters were probably distracted by the whole broohah. Look at how well Bonaly skated to win Europeans and even at worlds but so much worse she skated at the Games where Nancy beat her. Same for Sato and Chen and their unusual SP errors. Baiul was probably even affected. Harding was the one affected worst of all as she was treated like a criminal skating at the Games.

9. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

I love this :lol: I've heard it said several times that Platov was jealous and actually propositioned Grishuk, but she rejected him. However, I wasn't sure if Pasha started those rumours. Anyway, if true, I also can't believe she would refuse handsome young Platov to sleep with married pig Zhulin. Although Maya also claimed to have rejected Platov's advances. Maybe Zhulin was better in bed :p

10. angelflies

angelflies Active Member

Zhulin was never hot I find. Platov is much hotter. Plus he is a creep and nasty man. Granted it seems Platov isnt the little angel he pretends himself to be even if Pasha exagerrates some of the truth.

11. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

DID THAT HAPPEN!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!!

12. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

I also could never understand what women saw in Zhulin. He always looked ugly to me, whereas Platov was to die for! However, Zhulin seemed to make women fall over themselves for him whereas Platov got rejections left right and centre. Maybe Platov had less sex appeal in person and Zhulin had all the bad boy charms?

13. angelflies

angelflies Active Member

I cant figure it out. Maybe Zhulin has a bigger package. Maybe he is richer. Who knows.

14. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

:lol: I don't think Zhulin was rich back in 1992

15. angelflies

angelflies Active Member

I am just searching for answers. I am a women and wouldnt touch him with a ten foot pole unless he was incredibly rich so I am trying to guess what these women see.

16. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

I always thought Nancy had to be secretly thanking Tonya everyday. Tonya made her rich and famous. No one would have remembered Nancy 20 years on

17. angelflies

angelflies Active Member

Well she was already rich. She got a bunch of endorsements in 92 and 93. She got more than Kristi who always kicked her ass in competition, and was the Olympic gold to Nancy's bronze, due to racism in the U.S at the time. So she didnt need Tonya for that, although she did get even richer. She was always overhyped both on and off the ice. I love Tonya and wish she never clubbed Nancy to make her the star she is, that she never deserved to be. Too bad a real talent like Tonya is now out of the sport, and thrash like Nancy almost becomes an OGM and a hero.

18. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

Can I just say I love your posts in this thread :lol:

19. angelflies

angelflies Active Member

Thanks, I love your posts too. Whenever I am on this board even when I dont post, I notice some of your posts. I love how you just way what you want, and dont give a darn what others might think of it. Just calling it like it is.

20. neptune

Weren't there 3 separations? So, wouldn't that be at least 0.3 off? I find it hard to believe that their dance was still worth more than the other dances after such a deduction.

Yes, it is somewhat different, because there was not a prescribed deduction for that.

True, but the judges still had rules to follow. So, in the SP, would it have been okay for the judges to gloss over required elements and/or mandatory deductions?

Well, the referee was to blame as well. But if G&P had 3 separations that needed to be penalized, then based on their actual scores, it seems unlikely that the judges in general took all the deductions.

If the points were entirely meaningless, then why were there any prescribed deductions at all? ;) There were required deductions for mistakes in the SP and for falls in the LP as well.

Yes, but it needs to be reasoned out numerically, not just, "I think G&P are that much superior." Otherwise, it's slipshod judging.

Make that 6.2. ;)

21. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

Wow I always thought I was the only one who liked Tonya much more than Nancy. It's so sad she turned out to be so stupid :(

22. neptune

Good point. That's kind of like marrying someone you can't stand just because they're a mega-millionaire. I mean, in the long run (assuming a pre-nup ;)), is it really worth it? I don't think so. Better to have your sanity, tranquillity, and dignity IMO.

23. nguyhm

nguyhm Member

I got to shake Chris's hand a long time ago after a Stars on Ice show, he seemed very nice to me at that time.

24. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I dunno, the 28 second mark at this video http://youtu.be/9oozUaizleQ?t=28s makes it look like she was complaining to Mickey about the horror of the corniness that she had to endure.

I always found her comments about Oksana during the medal ceremony to be pretty hilarious , as well as her comment about lacking motivation during pro-competitions since everyone made the same money.

The Disney escapade always annoyed me; however, because she was being paid millions just to smile, wave and wear a medal. If she felt that strongly in spite of the price tag, she should have said no.
    Funnily enough, I think quite a number of people prefered Tonya's skating to Nancy's. I certainly did, although I can't say I was really a fan of either one.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  25. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

To quickly get back to the Zhulin vs Platov debate... the one thing about Zhulin was that even though he didn't look very strong and Maya was nearly as tall as him, I don't think they ever had trouble with lifts. Maya said that she had never been injured before she paired up with Platov and he dropped her or let go of her during a spin, so she hit the boards and had to have shoulder surgery. Maybe Zhulin had more stamina :p

Driving 4 hours everyday to whore around between practices for the Olympics would have taken its toll on a lesser man, but not Zhulin :D

26. neptune

But apparently she'd had a toenail removed by a doctor the night before. Why did she wait so long to get that taken care of, though, I wonder?

Notoriety? That would be Tonya. ;) Notorious rarely has a favorable connotation. Anyway, Nancy did win Piruetten, and if she'd skated really well at '94 Nationals, that could have been a boost for her as well.

Yes, it probably did negatively affect a lot of the skating, sad to say.

27. neptune

28. neptune

Michael Rosenberg has some interesting observations about Tonya's appeal:

http://www.abqjournal.com/354673/sports/a-remarkable.html

“If you had a dinner and had 12 skaters sitting around the table, at the end of the night, you would say Tonya was the most interesting, the most fun to talk to,” he says. “She’s smart. Street smart. Funny. Unpolished, but funny. Truthful. And a spectacular athlete."
    ---------------------------------

In fact, he still believes she's innocent.

29. neptune

People who inflict emotional abuse are usually pretty selective about the ones they dish it out to. ;) They're a lot like these critters:

http://www.earthrangers.com/content/wildwire/chameleon_belalanda_dice.jpg

:)

Another thing to keep in mind is that even "regular" people are often nicer to complete strangers than to those they have to be around every day, who they may feel (rightly or wrongly) get on their nerves at times. :D The moral of the story: If you meet a public figure, don't read too much into a one-time pleasant encounter. ;)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  30. trouble77

trouble77 Member