1992 Worlds: Ladies Short Program

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Mar 7, 2013.

1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Re Harding it is hard to say as she didnt have U.S #1 backing by then. Had she done her Nationals SP I would guess them slotting her into 3rd ahead of Bonaly in the SP "maybe", although might have also been placed 4th or 5th. Had she won Nationals with a strong skate (which was possibly since while Nancy was the USFSA princess she bombed the LP) maybe higher than 3rd though.

2. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

OK, now I'm recalling that too. That probably means things were pretty close.

The only one besides Kerrigan who I could imagine with first-place ordinals would be Ervin. And as poorly as Nancy skated, that's certainly possible.

3. neptune

Well, it kinda worked, because she did train a lot harder later in the year, but it seems she did a few other things as well. ;)

4. neptune

That makes sense--I couldn't really see them placing her any lower than 5th with a clean SP, assuming she didn't skate poorly in the qualifying round.

5. judgejudy27

I copied down the marks and Kerrigan definitely received only 1st place vote ordinals. The ordinals from 2nd to 5th were all over the place, but every judge had Nancy 1st and by a good margin. So the change in the ranking must be that Lisa Ervin's marks pushed Harding below Kwiatkowski in the LP when she had previously been ahead, through an oridinal flip, but the computer was slow to register it, but once the change was registered it pushed Harding down from 1st to 4th overall (obviously behind Kerrigan once her marks came up, behind Kwiatkowski due to the ordinal flip from Ervin, and behind Ervin once she was 2 spots ahead of Harding in the LP rather than just one).

As for Kwan she was 8th in the SP and didnt even skate in the final flight so she couldnt have impacted any ordinals at that point.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  6. judgejudy27

I copied down the marks and Kerrigan definitely received only 1st place vote ordinals. The ordinals from 2nd to 5th were all over the place, but every judge had Nancy 1st and by a good margin. So the change in the ranking must be that Lisa Ervin's marks pushed Harding below Kwiatkowski in the LP when she had previously been ahead, through an oridinal flip, but the computer was slow to register it, but once the change was registered it pushed Harding down from 1st to 4th overall (obviously behind Kerrigan once her marks came up, behind Kwiatkowski due to the ordinal flip from Ervin, and behind Ervin once she was 2 spots ahead of Harding in the LP rather than just one).

As for Kwan she was 8th in the SP and didnt even skate in the final flight so she couldnt have impacted any ordinals at that point.

7. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

It is really hard to do what-ifs with Harding because she was so inconsistent. One year she would work hard, show up well trained and well prepared, and win Nationals and World silver. Other times she seemed not to be as focused on her skating or working as hard, not be as careful about her overall fitness/conditioning, and end up popping, doubling or falling on her jumps. I think maybe she was a bit like Bobek in frittering away much of the early season, then buckling down and working really hard in the weeks leading up to Nationals.

It did not help that folks were annoyed with her for continuing to smoke in spite of being asthmatic. The image of her using an inhaliner at the end of her program underscored her unwillingness to do what was necessary to be the best she could be. It also did not help that the message the USFS kept sending was that they wanted ice princesses rather than more athletic-style skaters. (I think Midori Ito was a victim of this same mind set. Good thing the Russians did not do this to Slutskaya when she came along.)

8. neptune

Maybe that made her a bit overconfident for Worlds. ;)

Thanks. Do you know what the actual ordinals were for Kwiatkowski and Harding?

I thought she was 6th?

9. neptune

I think you're right. I wonder, though, if Tonya was skating well in the practices at '93 Nationals. Does anybody know?

Definitely.

They sent that message loud and clear at 1989 Nationals. :p

Yep.