1992 Worlds: Ladies Short Program

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Mar 7, 2013.

1. neptune

neptune New Member

She did? In what way? I never thought of Nancy as being dramatic, nor can I think of any comments from back then that referred to her in such a way. Of the solid skills Nancy possessed, somehow I don't think drama was among them, except perhaps off the ice. ;)
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Well, Kerrigan at least attempted to project to the audience, effective or not. Can't say the same for Gold. :p
  3. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

I never thought Nancy "dramatic", but she had a clean, polished look to her skating which I can appreciate. And I agree with whomever said that her "packaging" garnered her those few extra tenths. She always looked fantastic, and, IMO, was one of those skaters who never had a rough edge to what she did. Aside from jump mistakes, everything always looked "in line" if you know what I mean. I think this counts for a lot.
  4. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

She also looked middle age always. Scary.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I like how the ladies used to look more womanly.
  6. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Yes but the rest don't have horse face.:lol:
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  7. neptune

neptune New Member

It's a real shame Ito didn't show up at these Worlds. I wonder if she's ever regretted it? I mean, what did she really have to lose? I think she had more to gain than to lose. It would not have been at all shocking to see her snatch back the world title.
  8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I think that Nancy's choice in music may have helped in the dramatic angle. The music which she used for 2 years, including her break-out season in '90 - '91, from 'Born on the the 4th of July' has a haunting quality to it and sticks in your head
  10. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Going far back in time, before Nancy really did any jumps, you can see her edge quality and the unique beauty of her skating.

Nancy Kerrigan 1987 NHK Trophy
  11. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Lovely program until that disastrous ending. Thanks for sharing. I really miss the "moves in the field" type elements in programs today. You can no longer show a long beautiful edge the way Nancy did in this program.
  12. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

I'm calling you out on this. Completely uncalled for. I'm sure you think of this kind of bashing as being 'snarky,' just because it's the acceptable word on here for bullying and being a troll, but I think you're out of line.
  13. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think Nancy was always beautiful, but there is even a Family Guy episode where they joke about her teeth. Nancy had to live through an unprecedented media circus where they televised her crying after a brutal assault, so I doubt she is hurt by remarks about her appearance anymore. She must know she was one of the prettiest skaters, even with her awkward bows and scrunchies (what was going in the 80s and early 90s with hair in general?).
  14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I associate Kerrigan with elegance, but unfortunately I also associate her with dullness.

I love that everything she did was finished off. Her spiral sequence was a stark contrast to Hubert's. Even if slow, everything was extended and nice. But she just lacked the natural expressiveness of a Baiul (sigh), and who was her choreographer? I think I would always want to pick lighter, more melodic music for her. The Born on Fourth of July music was too haunting for her.
  15. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Why the shot at Gracie for not being as mature a skater as Kerrigan was considering Nancy was already in her early 20's when she hit the big time. Of course Kerrigan was more mature.
  16. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why people think Nancy's skating hasn't aged well. For me she has excellent edges, elegant line, good power,difficult in-betweens, very finished presentation. Her shoot-the-duck into 2F with arms up has to be the voidiest move in this whole competition. I agree her placement was generous given the botched combo, but overall I really like her skating.

I enjoyed Tonya's Moon River much more than I thought I would. Shame she never really got back to 1991 form.
  17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Nancy's music style is very late 80's early 90's. But I agree with you about her skating, powerful and good technique.
  18. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Nancy's skating is ok as long as she keeps everything simple - simple cross overs, keep the arms straight out, stick with the simple, straight forward bodylines, etc. It's when she strays from this that she looks very awkward. I do not like her footwork or when she attempts any type of dance moves. The hopping thing in her 94 lp was just plain ridiculous.

The best thing that happened to Nancy was when Vera decided to dress her.
  19. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Ok, I agree with you on that. Nancy, Jill and Debi all had a tendency to portray 'confident jazzercize' in their footwork, I thought maybe Jane Fonda did their choreography. Although at least Nancy had a classic look, while Tonya, Kristi, Midori and Jill's big hair and bigger bangs really dates them. And Yuka's headband really wins the overall Gold Medal for 'Most Evocative of the 90s'.
  20. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Mary Scotvold
  21. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

My point was projection and musicality, not maturity.
  22. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Well, at least Gold can project a 3/3 to the judges :p
  23. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Let's see if she could do it at Worlds and Olympics like Kerrigan. :p
  24. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Agreed, let us see . . . thank goodness we won't have to wait very long :D
  25. neptune

neptune New Member

Shame she never really practiced. ;)
  26. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

Can anyone tell me the starting order of the ladies for the short? because on the old system that would have affected the scoring!
  27. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Great Question. Tony Wheeler's Blog did an amazing recap of it. See this link. Flutzing Around, Tuesday July 6, 2010 It has all the video links too.

Short Program Skate Order
    1. Nancy Kerrigan, USA
    2. Anisette Torp-Lind, DEN
    3. Joanne Conway, GBR
    4. Kristi Yamaguchi, USA
    5. Lu Chen, CHN
    6. Patricia Neske, GER
    7. Nathalie Krieg, SWI
    8. Laetitia Hubert, FRA
    9. Surya Bonaly, FRA
    10. Yuka Sato, JPN
    11. Karen Preston, CAN
    12. Marina Kielmann, GER
    13. Josée Chouinard, CAN
    14. Tonya Harding, USA
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  28. neptune

neptune New Member

Nancy did have good technique, but I don't believe she had that much speed.
  29. neptune

neptune New Member

Actually, I've read that skating order affects the scoring even more under the IJS.

Incidentally, concerning the mentions of Gold, is she working on a triple axel? Meissner made a brave attempt at one, but it was puny at best compared with Tonya's. However, I do think Gold could do the jump justice. OTOH, under the IJS, it's really not worth the trouble to acquire one IMO.
  30. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

These are the results i agree with

1st: Kristi - 5.8 5.9
    2nd: Chen - 5.7 5.8
    3rd: Josee - 5.6 5.7
    4th: Karen - 5.6 5.6
    5th: Latetia- 5.5 5.5
    6th: Nancy - 5.2 5.5
    7th:patricia- 5.2 5.4
    8th: Yuka - 5.1 5.4
    9th: Surya - 5.1 5.3
    10th:Tonya - 4.9 5.3

Feel free to agree or critisize
  31. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Interesting. Where would you have placed Belgium's Alice Sue Claeys who was eighth in the short. (I am assuming she went clean and landed a 3toe/2loop combo.) For a first year senior, she had the look of a seasoned competitor, too. It is a shame she got injured, because I thought Claeys was a skater with medal winning potential.

Apart from Yamaguchi, Neske and Harding, it's funny to think that Bauil would beat them all the following year.
  32. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I think 5.6 for elements is a bit high for Josee since too much her miss was a blatant step out and should have been more than .2. I think 5.8 for presentation for Chen is much too high for that program which was not at all artistic.
  33. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Given the dire quality of the event it shouldnt have been that surprising a newbie came in and beat everyone with Kristi retiring next year. Kristi was so far ahead of the rest this year she could have probably won with 4 falls.
  34. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

But I seem to remember '93 Worlds as a mixed bag. Surya Bonaly had the performances of her life (I think she should've won, personally), Chen Lu gave her best performances up to that point, Yuka Sato maybe had a step-out and/or pop in there but was otherwise great, the German skaters Marina Kiehlmann and newcomer Tanja Szewczenko were clean, as was even Karen Preston. But, I think the one skater the judges would've put over Oksana Baiul was Nancy Kerrigan and she was a disaster, only to be out-disastered by Josee Chouinard!
  35. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Interesting that Karen Preston beat Chouinard at 1993 Worlds. Did she have a problem after 1993? Why did she not qualify to the Olympics?
  36. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

Preston two-footed several jumps in the free skate at 1994 Canadians (and fell on a triple flip IIRC), which might not have been fatal errors vis-a-vis Susan Humphreys except that her Swan Lake program wasn't particularly well-suited to her. That Humphreys skated very nicely to music from the same ballet without falling certainly didn't help.
  37. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I agree. My recollection is that everyone assumed Kerrigan (the highest ranking skater returning after 92) would win 93 Worlds pretty easily. She did have a strong SP then totally imploded in the FS. While Bonaly was able to win Europeans, the judges at Worlds so hated her technique flaws and lack of presentation they were never willing to put her on top, regardless of how many jumps she landed. So that left Baiul with a strong clean skate. Even though she was a comparative newcomer, she was so obviously and extraordinarily gifted, I think the judges were happy to give it to her.

The most significant repercussion of Kerrigan's meltdown from the US POV was that left us with only 2 ladies spots at Lillehammer, meaning a very young Michelle Kwan didn't get to go.
  38. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

At 93 Worlds, Bonaly actually produced 7 clean triples and 2 2axels. No 3/3s but no URs either. But yes she was a very flawed skater. However, as strong as Baiul was, her whole package was also severely lacking when she didn't do any combination jumps, a fourth spin, a step sequence and both of her 2axels were flawed. Definitely not a well balanced program (although I am not sure if this term existed in 1993).

In hindsight, I would give the free to Chen (5.8/5.8) who produced 5 solid triples and a 6th slightly flawed triple together with a complex program, and also have Bonaly (5.8/5.5) ahead of Baiul (5.6/5.6).
  39. neptune

neptune New Member

I definitely agree about putting Chen first. I can even see putting Bonaly ahead of Baiul as well.
  40. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

But I haven't watched their short programs in a while and don't know how this placement would affect the overall podium. IIRC Baiul was clean in the short. Don't remember the rest.