1984 OLY Ladies Long Program

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by longingfornia, Apr 6, 2011.

1. longingfornia

longingfornia New Member

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I started a thread in regards to the '84 Oly SP about a year ago. I seem to remember the SPs but not the LPs.

But I do remember the competition being rather uninspired overall

Witt deserved the win that day. Sumners had the best basics, but popped 3 or 4 jumps which kept her in contention but definitely off the top of the podium

Tiffany Chin and Elaine Zayak were the most inspiring. I recall thinking Elaine was badly undermarked in the SP and somewhat undermarked in the LP. Tiffany was great but for a step-out on the 3flip.

Ivanova's program was all over the map: occassionally showcased some good jumping ability, but was otherwise snoozeworthy. :blah:

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It is funny how Ivanova ended her program. It basically summed up the overall program- lifeless, blah, and like she didnt really give a darn.

4. olympic

I always thought the same thing, but I've excused those lifeless I-don't-give-a-darn performances after reading how horribly she was treated by the Soviet Fed: [keeping her and her coach apart so they wouldn't defect; punished and not allowed on the team for 2 years; general criticism that the Soviet ladies weren't keeping up with the US and GDR ladies]. Perhaps that '84 Olympic bronze medal helped her spiritually for a while at least :( ....

But, yes, if Tiffany and Elaine had better figures, one of them [probably Tiffany] would've snagged the bronze instead. And we discussed in another thread the whopping no. of top ladies who may have made the comp interesting but retired in this Quad before Sarajevo -or simply sat out/forced to sit out Sarajevo -[Biellmann who was before her time; Kristofics-Binder and her great figures; Cottrill and her strong figures and a 3loop in the LP; Wegelius; de Vries; Wainman; teeny bopper Ito, etc.]

5. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

:confused:Could u tell more about this? It was quite interesting the skating world in that very political era:)

6. olympic

Here's her Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kira_Ivanova
    It will give you a good synopsis. :)

7. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

^Ivanova's life sounds really tragic. :(

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

ITA about Ros overmarked.
    I was really disappointed the first time I watched this program (in 1994, during a special TV show for Katarina Witt).

9. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

That's only the surface of it. IIRC she was raised by her grandmother (I have no idea what happened to her parents) and her twin sister had committed suicide :(

10. olympic

Were you disappointed in Witt's or Roz's '84 performance? Or both?

11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I thought Zayak was great.

I always felt quite sad for Ivanova. She never looked very happy. But I found her a very interesting skater.

I seem to remember reading something about one of the Russian coaches being a bit of sleezebag and trying it on with the girls. I think it was in Gordeeva's book and it might have had something to do with Kondrashova.

12. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think Katia mentioned in her book, My Sergei, that Stan Zhuk used to beat Anna up.

13. duane

duane New Member

Wow, I've never seen these performances! Zayak was great!!

14. reese

reese Well-Known Member

In her book Katia says that she saw him hit Anna only once. He was definitely an alcoholic sleaze tho.

15. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

^Once is enough. Is it Kondrashova who coaches Glebova?

16. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Yes it is

17. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

IIRC, she also mentions Zhuk trying to sleep with a young Russian skater in Calgary.:fragile:

I think her comment was that she was aware she was "lucky" because she was too young to be hassled in that way.

18. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that was her point. That she was lucky because she was just barely too young for him to bother her in that way. I agree that once is more than enough re: Anna. I have no doubt that it happened more than once, but my point was that Katia mentioned that she only saw him hit Anna once. She says she went to get Sergei immediately, but that Zhuk was gone by the time they got back.

19. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Who placed ahead of the other in the LP, Ivanova or Kondrashova?

20. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

In Sarajevo Ivanova placed higher than Kondrashova in both the SP and LP. Had Anna placed higher in both she actually would have beaten Ivanova since she was close to her after figures.

21. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

Here are the placements for the top 13:

1) Witt 3-1-1 = 3.2
    2) Sumners 1-5-2 = 4.6
    3) Ivanova 5-3-5 = 9.2
    4) Chin 12-2-3 = 11.0
    5) Kondrashova 7-4-6 = 11.8
    6) Zayak 13-6-4 = 14.2
    7) Ruben 6-11-7 = 15.0
    8) Vodorezova 2-8-11 = 15.4
    9) Leistner 9-10-8 = 17.4
    10) Dubravcic 8-9-9 = 17.4
    11) Cariboni 4-14-12 = 20.0
    12) Thomson 10-12-10 = 20.8
    13) Manley 16-7-13 = 25.4

22. olympic

Wow. Thanks. These are interesting!

A couple of observations -

1) Zayak was 13th after the figures. That's quite a drop compared to '81 worlds - 7th; '82 - 4th; '83 - 9th [even w/ a stress fracture and ahead of Chin there I think]. I wonder if she was dumped on the intl. stage due to the fact that Roz and Tiffany were considered #1 and #2 in the US and the USFSA was just not promoting her -or - was she just particularly bad in '84? Then, I feel Elaine was grossly underscored in the SP

2) I wonder if either Leistner or Ruben from FRG would've had the ability to wedge themselves between Ivanova/Kondrashova and Chin/Zayak and this may have helped either Chin or Zayak [based on my notes in #1] to the bronze medal. Ruben did get silver at '84 Euros behind Witt. I've never seen vids of her. Was she a superior skater to either Ivanova or Kondrashova? I do remember Leistner bombing the SP here in '84. I think she could've tangled the standings enough to push either one of the Americans to the Bronze IF she had performed well...

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

24. olympic

Thanks, I remember at the time seeing portions of this program on NBC, and thinking that she did have some spark, but I'll have to view this more carefully at home.

25. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't think Elaine competed at any GP events at all until Nationals in 84, and she showed up at Nationals in awful conditions. (That move where she grabbed the side of the barrier and high kicked both her legs into the air was cringe-inducing and done to "Eyes of The Tiger" no less.) I also think that back in those days, it was very important that the U.S. gold medal favorite came into the games as THE National Champion.

Elaine definitely improved by the time Sarejevo rolled around, but it was too late in the eyes of the international judges. Competing in some of the pre Olympics events would've helped her, if she had done well in them.

26. olympic

LOL. I remember that - grabbing the side barrier. I was like WTF.

Her split leap-3toe-2toe-2toe combination would've been a good CoP move nowadays. She probably had the most ambitious program at Sarajevo, as she went for 5 triples including a 3loop in the 2d half of the program, but I always get my back up for her because I always felt like she was treated like dirt by USFSA, judges, even commentators like Dick and Peggy.

27. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

This was her "Bonaly Moment" (although Bonaly's backflip at Olys came later - in 1998). Elaine was basically saying F*** U to the judges, we all felt. USFS and int'l judges preferred the more "princessy" Roz, even though neither Roz nor Elaine came from a "country club" background. It was all image and packaging in those days. Olympic, you are correct in your thinking, although, in fairness, Dick Button was admiring of Elaine's athletics. He went nuts for her entrances into spins, for example. It was PEGGY who went on and on about Roz being so pweety and elegant, "just like a lady should be."

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  28. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I wanted to see that barrier move!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkrfexVFctI

3:16

I do wonder sometimes why the boards aren't used more as part of choreo. She did that during her program so she wasn't skating but at the begining of a program the only thing that comes to mind immediately was Kavaguti and Smirnov starting a program at the boards instead of the middle of the ice.

It is kind of unfortunate how good Chin was in the SP and LP but the figures kept her back. She was young and that was where years and years helped people out but the SP and LP were good for younger jumpers like her.

What if Sumners had not placed fifth in the SP?

29. duane

duane New Member

LOL! I don't think the barrier move is that bad. Is this an illegal move?

30. reese

reese Well-Known Member