19 Kids and Counting - 5th season

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Aug 3, 2010.

1. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

New season starts tonight on TLC.

List of episodes from Wikipedia
    Today Show 08/03/10 - Michelle Duggar: I would have a 20th child

I think it is neat think Jana and John David went on a mission trip to Asia.

Not surprised that the Duggars would go visit the set of the film Courageous. Those Sherwood Baptist Church movies wouldn't be in my must-watch movie list, of course, but I will admit that they have been getting better - considering their budget and that 95% of the cast and crew are volunteers from the church.

2. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Omg she would have a 20th child? I guess she is still not at all botherd by all the orphans in the world. How godly of them.

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I really don't think a 20th child would be a good idea, and I disagree with the Duggars on a lot of things, but I don't quite understand how one more Duggar child would be a slap in the face to the world's orphans.

4. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Ah, well, if that's how it works -- I have no kids, so ipso facto I must be the greatest benefactor to orphans ever! Yay me! :cheer2:

6. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Not to judge you or others I'm just suggesting it to them because how open they are of wanting as many children as possible and they to have the means. They also claim to do what God says and I would think he'd want those without families to have one.

7. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should contact the Duggars and suggest you know God's plan for them better than they do.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  8. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I don't know what God's plan is. I said I would think he would want children who don't have family to have one. There is plenty in the bible to take care of others so I am going by that since that's what they go by.

http://www.gotquestions.org/adoption.html

9. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

There is plenty in the Bible about just about everything, including being fruitful and multiplying. Just depends on what part of it you want to use against people, I suppose.

I doubt if any agency would allow the Duggars to adopt. They're too old and have too many children already, so God will have to drop a child in the Duggars' laps for that to happen.

Meanwhile, Michelle gets pregnant at the drop of a.....hat; if God had another plan, you'd think He would seal that path off, but apparently He hasn't.

10. Octoberopals

Octoberopals Well-Known Member

The whole situation seems a bit strange to me........the older ones raising the younger ones. Having been a teacher for many years, how does one educate that many children on so many different levels?

11. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

You don't?

I'm not surprised to see that they'd gladly welcome a 20th child but I think after everything they went through with Josie the tide of public opinion might change. The family has certainly gained a lot of detractors as time has gone on but I think having another child would make it worse.

12. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I think that they are tempting fate. The outcome of the last pregnancy should have come as a warning to Michelle that her childbearing years are coming to an end and that another pregnancy might put yet another child in danger.

From a health care insurance perspective, while I know that they most likely pay their health care insurance premiums, their "family rate" is a bargain. It appears that this family is extraordinarily healthy, but actuarial and underwriting tables/formulas are predicated/averaged out on the basis of a 5 person family. One could argue that those of us who routinely cross-subsidize (singles, husband and wife and smaller families) families like the Duggars could have a bone to pick.

Nothing like being altruistic.

13. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

I don't know what's so strange about that. It's common in loads of cultures, it was common for centuries here and at your place across the pond.

About the medical issues - pre-eclampsia is certainly associated with higher age of the mother, and having pre-eclampsia in an earlier pregnancy will increase the risk for another bout of pre-eclampsia during the next one. But lots of woman who have pre-eclampsia during their first pregnancy will often go on to have a second or third pregnancy. I haven't heard lots of doctors tell women that just because they had pre-eclampsia, they shouldn't try for a second or third child.

14. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

What is the 6th season going to be called? "Life after My Uterus Fell Out"?

15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I was struck by, when Michelle was staying near the hospital, how much the burden of taking care of the family (packing for the trip to the homeschool conference, entertaining the little ones, etc.) seemed to be falling on the older girls, while Jim Bob - a/k/a the other parent - talked on his cellphone and did standup commentary for the TV crew :rolleyes:

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It doesn't surprise me.
    Jim Bob taking on those responsibilities wouldn't fit the gender roles they seem to believe in - and follow.

17. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Mrs. Duggar is always so positive, that's something I do like about her, I have no idea how she does that.

18. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I wonder, does she breastfeed? Just curious.....

19. DianeO

DianeO New Member

I think what I don't like about it is that she tries to come off as this wonderful mother of 19 (or is touted as such by the media), the woman who does it all and can manage that big brood, etc. when in reality she is only the mother till the child is like a year old and then they get passed off to an "older buddy" so Michelle can take care of the next baby. Those older Duggar girls run that household. I often wonder what the family would be like if the older girls had been boys (given their very traditional gender roles in the family). I wonder if that would have influenced their decision to have more kids lol.

20. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

For the most part she has nursed her children at least until about the six month mark. Early documentaries/reality specials of the show have discussed their buddy system. She cares for the youngest child so long as she nurses. Then the child/baby becomes more of the responsibility of an older sister who essentially becomes a teen mother.

Many scenes of the show have shown her nursing with a large drape over her as she goes about her her daily life. Such scenes have included her with her family in a Christmas parade, at a film festival, and visiting an elementary school. There have even been some parodies on the topic, as typically you see her with the drape (that has a print inlcuding the word mom) and the baby resting on a pillow called MyBrest friend, but all you really see are the babies feet dangling out.

For Josie she was pumping milk and freezing it. However, the lactose intolerance issues have put an end to that.

21. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I agree with you. My mother is the largest of a large number of children. I can see the stress that had put on her and she wasn't expected to do half as much as these Duggar girls. The unfortunate thing is they stand very little chance of escape. They aren't given the opportunities of education and career so their way out is marriage. Then they will get to parent their own children.

22. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I used to watch re-runs of this show quite a lot on TLC, but after they drug the cameras into the hospital to film that helpless little baby hooked up to all those machines, it just totally turned me off. Is nothing private in this family? I can't watch it any longer. :( :(

23. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

That is certainly something I don't get. Why would anyone want to have their family life portrayed like that on TV?

24. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

:bribe:

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Especially with the extra expenses associated with Josie's care; which will be ongoing.

26. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

I have seen the program with all the children, plus cameras, viewing Josie in the incubator. What struck me was the silence. Since this is a fundamentalist Christian family, I somehow expected there would be a call for prayer for the baby. Heck, I have no faith and I felt that the baby needed a prayer for its survival.

It isn't that they have a problem with prayer on TV, we have seen that before. I wonder if Jim Bob's faith was shaken by this event. If so, one of the older children could have said something. It just seemed out of character at such a difficult time.

I do hope that there will be no more babies for Michelle. She had such a close call this time, surely getting pregnant again would be irresponsible. What if she died and left all those children motherless? How could that be god's will? IMHO, it is time to put aside reproduction and focus on parenting the children they have.

27. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

Well it does make sense from an efficiency, division of labor perspective. Can't fault her for it. I just feel bad for the older girls, because they don't get much of a say, do they?

WRT another baby......well it's her body, so whatever, but I think she's a fool to let it happen. Her kids do need her.

28. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I believe you are supposed to be quiet around premies.

29. Octoberopals

Octoberopals Well-Known Member

Uck.....I guess that would tend to put an end to the endless 'bundles of love' that keep arriving.:watch:

30. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

You wanted to say pants, admit it! :)

Surely you are being sarcastic. It's not God's will for anyone to do anything they might be physically capable of.