1700's Ship Found at WTC Site

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Jul 15, 2010.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I saw this on the news this morning. Very cool. :cool:

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

4. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

It said in one of the articles that particular area wasn't excavated when the original was built.

5. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Here's a great article about the Viele Map, which shows the original and filled-in topography of Manhattan.

And a link to a large version of the map.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  6. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

I just read this...how cool is that! More history of the US and my favorite era the 18th century! :)

7. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Very cool! I wonder why they can't halt construction until the ship has been excavated, however. Surely they could work on another part of the new building during the excavation, right?

8. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

It's probably an issue of :bribe: and related construction delays. Construction schedules are complex and dependent upon other steps being completed within the allotted timeframe. Contractors get bonuses for finishing work ahead of schedule and penalties for late completion in some contracts.

9. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

It doesn't seem to matter if they stop construction or not. The archaeologists said that as soon as the ship was exposed to air, it began to degrade extremely quickly. There's little, if any, time - it's been protected by the gloopy mud for 200+ years, and now that it's up in the air, it's already going. They said that they were glad that it was raining yesterday - the sun would have made it degrade even more quickly, and the rain and clouds gave them a bit more time to document it. They've been rushing around the thing and measuring it, documenting it as it basically dissolves. They hope to retrieve it, or what they can of it, by end of day today. They think they won't be able to get any large portions of it out intact, but they're trying.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no knowledge of archaeology, but isn't there something they could put over the ship, such as a big plastic cover, to protect it from the sun?

11. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Very interesting - thanks for posting

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

No. When you find organics you have to put them back in the same condition that preserved them, such as water or mud. The oxidation process begins as soon as the organic material hits the air. That's impossible with a ship. They'll take measurements and photos and try to retrieve key elements that help identify use, age, etc., such as nails and joints.

This is one reason why we don't excavate things unless we have to. It's better to leave artifacts in place and let them be preserved.