16 year old Solo Sailor Feared Lost

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Jun 10, 2010.

1. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I'm glad she's okay. I hope that she doesn't not continue, and that any funds she makes from selling her story will go to pay for the search teams.

3. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

That's what I heard too.

I'm glad she's alright, but I can't help but wonder what this cost the .au tax payers. :shuffle:

4. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Yeah, right. :lol:

I'm glad she's alive, but I too wonder about the stupidity of her parents' decision. I wonder what they would have thought and said if she had died. Be sorry they let her do it or be proud that at least she died living her dream? Probably both, but 16 is an awful young age to die.

It seems like she's going to be OK, so I think the story will be: yes, it was dangerous but we knew our daughter was prepared to deal with it and she did. She had an adventure of her life and our decision was justified. Everyone's happy.

Taxpayers: Say what?

If you think about it, what was really the reason for doing it so young? Would have it been less of an experience if she was 18? I don't think so. I think the main reason was to set a record. At 16 people have a lot of dreams and ideas, should their parents let them do it just because they want to?

Say, she said, mom I want to experience motherhood now, why wait? I want to be young mom. I can get pregnant and give birth, you can help me take care of the baby and support us financially (or we could find sponsors too, I could name the baby Gillette if they wanted me to) since I'm too young to be able to afford a baby. But it's a dream of mine and I want it now!

5. genegri

genegri Active Member

I didn't want to say this yesterday because she was missing and searching for her was the top priority. But now I can be judgemental.

Sailing the world alone at 16? I am very impressed with her parents' decision, NOT!

They can say whatever they like, but don't tell me vanity and fame are not part of the motivation. I am not saying her parents are at the same level of fame whoring as the balloon boy's parents, but I too, hope they are held responsible to pay back Aussie tax payers for the search effort. Big chance at that huh?

And call me old fashioned, but I don't find missing school months at length and knowing whenever you are in trouble, you can just whip out a transmitter and cry for help all that inspiring.

6. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

So glad she is found and safe! Bravo to her and her parents for understanding the meaning of risk and adventure!

7. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Matryeshka and WindSpirit - ITA.

What were her parents thinking? What really should be done is fine the parents for the cost of the search. It's one thing when someone goes missing due to circumstances beyond their control. But when parents are that irresponsible, they should have to at least pay for part of it.

That said, thank goodness she's okay.

8. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Too bad there is no way for the Australian government to sue for reimbursement. This was not an, "I think my child has been kidnapped" or a plane crash or something else preventable, this it was a search operation based on this girl's (and her family's) recklessness. Would some kind of insurance cover this?

I would like to think any government would help an Australian out in the same way (I am sure they probably would), but I also think there should be a way to recoup costs (not just for her, but in any similar situation), especially if it turns out she does make a lot of money from this incident, which I think is likely. I think the Australian government did the right thing (I supposed they could have refused, and can imagine some supporting that, and some being outraged against it), now she should do the same and pay for costs incurred.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  9. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

And the French. The Australians may have sent the plane that found her, but there were search and rescue crews sent from Reunion Island too. I think those are the boats which will pick her up tomorrow.

It would be nice if she paid for her rescue, but by the same token if they hadn't helped out I would have been outraged. She's 16 and in trouble.

Let me rephrase that then...her parents, sponsers and anyone who encouraged this should pay for the rescue :shuffle:

10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

This seems like quite negligent parenting. Teenagers want to do lots of things that reasonable parents don't allow.

I am glad that she seems to be okay, at least for the moment, but her parents should really be called to account.

And I hope they get a whopping big bill from the Search and Rescue folks too.

11. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

Yes, I too am baffled at the parenting here.

Even if she is the best sailor in the world, a 16 yo girl alone in the ocean is prey to all kinds of dangers. Didn't they worry about kidnap/rape?

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

If the parents and the girl are such great and experienced sailors, why send her during the winter months in the Southern hemisphere?

13. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

She's alone in a boat in the middle of the ocean. Who's going to kidnap/rape her - a pod of dolphins or a flock of seagulls?

Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm glad that she is safe.
    The entire family is part of the competitive sailing community; so the parents are unlikely to view what happened as evidence of their irresponsibility.

Insurance Riders, and releases from/assumptions of financial responsibility for rescuers, etc. should be required for all similar endeavours, whatever the age of the participants.

pat c and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Civic

Civic New Member

Pirates.

I just don't understand this type of stunt. If she is such a good sailor and wants to make a name for herself why not shoot for the Summer Olympics? They have sailing competitions that are a lot safer to participate in.

16. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

That wasn't the original plan. She was originally started out earlier, but had problems of some sort and had to stop...so she started later than planned. Also, she needed repairs in Capetown so stopped there for a few weeks. Without all the stops she would have been there a little earlier, and if she hadn't tried now she'd be too old for the record.

BUT - she lost the chance at the record by stopping in Capetown and someone should have drawn the line somewhere. That much is clear. Goodness knows what the parents were thinking at that point.

17. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

And you don't believe there is even a possibility that there might be other boats that she comes into contact with from time-to-time? And of course no mischief-maker could observe her by herself and follow her right.

18. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

According to a story on NPR this morning, the family is deeply involved in the sailing community. The father is a boatwright and the kids apparently could sail before they could ride a bike. They are also very religious, the parents were quoted in interviews before the daughter set sail saying this was in God's hands. The daughter was also quoted as saying it was God's will that she take this trip. story

Even given the above, I have to ask what the hell the parents were thinking? I've known some very mature and competent 16 year olds and I still would not believe they were ready for such a trip.

Unfortunately as long as this Jessica Watson story is the message broadcast around the world, there are going to be kids and their parents attempting the same.

This
    and this:

19. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Before Jessica Watson sailed, there was a LOT of controvery and people accusing her parents of irresponsible parenting. Yet she made the voyage.

Before Jessica Watson, there was Jesse Martin, who sailed further and was only 18, and still holds the record (Watson didn't go far enough).

I don't think that this will encourage kids to go sailing around the world. There was the same fanfare for Jesse Martin, and then there was a huge lull before anyone tried it again.

And of course the politicians were present. The media loves her. You think they'd miss an opportunity in an election year? ;)

20. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Yep. Evidence right here that she shouldn't be doing this at 16 yo. She obviously wasn't wise enough to know that she shouldn't be in the Southern Hemisphere at this time of the year. The delays would indicate she would be in the Indian Ocean at this time but she proceeded anyway. Ridiculous.

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  21. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

Awesome! Now they can reimburse every governmental body that was involved in the search & rescue effort. Surely they will, won't they?? <snort>

22. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Jessica Watson is not the girl who had to have a rescue effort launched.

23. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

*Jen*, are you the family spokesperson or something? :shuffle:

Anyway, this from the father just makes me stew. :angryfire

Again with the comparing this irresponsible, perilous BS with driving a car! The hell!

For your sake, Mr. Sunderland, I hope that nobody is hurt trying to rescue your girl. And I hope that you get a big $$$$ bill for some of the cost of this rescue. I'm sure that you'll make it all back with the book Abby will market off of her experience.

24. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

:huh: No? I just read the news and a capable of looking at both sides of an argument. If I were the family spokesperson, I probably wouldn't be calling her parents irresponsible and saying that it was a ridiculous idea to make the journey in winter, if at all, but at least I've bothered to read their justifications.

Did you even read what I said?

25. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yes, that would have made more sense, but I don't think sense of any kind was in play on this one. Actually, if she is such a good sailor, she should have known better than to try to make the trip alone, in the first place. Good sailors respect the sea and it's power.

26. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Her older brother also succesfully circumnavigated the globe solo, without stopping, at 17. He was a record-holder until his record was broken, which was one of Abby's motivations (I was reading her website yesterday).

It sounds like a brave thing to do. A little stupid, but aren't all brave acts partly stupid?

27. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I don't really see the point in sailing across the world at that age or any age, especially since it's been done so many times. There are so many more important things a 16 needs to be worrying about like school. And I know these kids do their schooling while sailing but how much time is really devouted?

28. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Or any age? I don't know if there's a 'point' other than the experience of it. Not that I think a 16-year-old should be sailing around the world, but doing this is like climbing Mt. Everest, or, really, doing any big thing that isn't necessary but which you do simply because you want to and can and you've dreamed about it. No 'point' necessary.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Wait, people seriously think she is going to be raped by pirates while out at sea? :lol: Seriously, not a joke? One too many Pirates of the Caribbean viewings it seems! Do you think the ocean is like the interstate, that you come across boats all the time in the middle of the Indian Ocean? Much less real Pirates? Am I completely naive or what?

Oh yes, the great Indian Ocean peeping Tom, he is a nasty one I hear. I'm not sure what is more confusing, that you think so many people are floating around in the middle of the ocean or that so many of them are rapists...

30. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Would there even be pirates in the middle of the Indian Ocean in the winter?? I mean, this girl was stupid enough to be out there then but you would think that a bunch of pirates would know better.

And let alone a bunch of pirates stupid enough to be in the middle of the Indian Ocean in the winter who happen to be rapists...