16 year old Solo Sailor Feared Lost

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Catherine M, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

2. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

She's in my prayers....how terrifying for her.

3. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I know this isn't original, but what were her parents thinking?!! I hope the parents of that Dutch girl who wants to do the same and is even younger is paying attention to this.

4. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

The Australian girl just made it all the way around, and she was 16 too. I thought her parents were mad as well but can't help thinking that she had a better rescue system in place. 400 miles from the nearest ship? I really hope she's okay :(

5. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for the random fishing boat captain that had to make the decision on whether to risk his boat and crew to go see if they can find her.

As for the parents, I have no comment.

6. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

My husband's parents know this family. I feel sorry for them but at the same time I don't see why anyone would let a child do this alone.

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Indeed!

Hoping that she is found, safe.
    My thoughts are with her family and friends.

8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

"Her seventeen-year-old older brother managed just fine last year"?

She's sixteen, the odds of her dying in a car wreck were higher. The article I just saw was being cautiously optimistic she'll be found alive.

9. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Just heard on Australian radio that both Australia and Reunion Island are sending rescue choppers. Hopefully they'll get to the area quickly and find her.

10. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Yikes. Yikes. I can't imagine being those parents and second-guessing allowing her to do this. . .

11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:( I hope she's okay!

12. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:shuffle: All righty then. Whereas there is data aplenty about the millions of us who survived driving ...

... I'm thinking there's really not a viable statistical sample to determine the death rate for children sailing solo around the world.

Horrible parenting. Just awful. :angryfire And aren't there sailing age requirements? So, now ... millions of dollars to be spent to perhaps rescue this child. And if she's found alive (God willing), it'll serve to encourage a 15 year-old to top that, then 14, 13, 12, 11 ... and so on. Lovely.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Things like this really annoy me because whether people are underage or not, it's their own (or their parents') choice to do this. And they cream the opportunities it can bring if successful.

But when things go wrong, we have to foot the rescue services bill.

14. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

How are all these people affording to do this? Sponsors won't want to keep sponsoring if it becomes a regular thing. I always wonder if they need a "rescue fund" - sending out rescue crews is not a cheap thing.

I hope she's found, and that she's okay.

She will, like Jessica Watson, not be eligible for an official record even if she makes it, because the record for sailing around the world starts at 18 so as not to encourage younger and younger people to risk their lives.

15. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Didn't a 13 year old just successfully climb Mt Everest? Everyone said he was crazy and too young before he did it, but he did it.

16. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I just saw this on the news and he admitted it was stupid and encouraged other young people not to attempt such stunts. And he was sun/windburned beyond belief...

17. manleywoman

I find comfort in this quote from CNN:

18. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

That's what irks me too. Yes, I hope she's found safely, but now all this additional manpower and resources have to be redirected and exerted to remedy a rather reckless decision.

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

But at least he went with 3 experienced sherpa guides, in addition to his father and dad's girlfriend.

20. manleywoman

True, GK. True.

21. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

This is totally stupid. I agree with everyone else-why would her parents let her do this? It is setting yourself up for disaster. She is a CHILD I don't care how good she is at sailing. She does not have the same experience as an adult who has been doing this for years and years and can think on their feet. There should have been an experienced adult with her for safety. I really hope she is found.

22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I just hope she is found safely!

23. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Praying she's found safely!

24. Kelleys6th

Kelleys6th Active Member

Shark bait

:cat:

25. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Then her parents were not just stupid once, but twice. Seventeen, sixteen, five year olds, three month olds survive car accidents. It is an acceptable risk, and for most, a necessary one. A solo trip around the world in a sail boat isn't; it's simply vanity--for ANY age. I mean, I sailed around the world alone? My first thought isn't, wow, it's why. Even if it was a 53 year old male.

As for her brother, the difference between sixteen and seventeen can be quite profound in terms of maturity. Also, I know this is un-PC, but he would be a lot stronger and better able to manage/survive for longer in case of storms/waves. And didn't the teenager that did do it safely mention in the article he was now seeing a psychiatrist to deal with the lonliness he felt? :yikes: Sounds like tons of fun.

There are so many things that can go wrong, I don't care if her whole family did it first. Or the entire state of California. It was dumb, and I hope other families who have kids that want to do things like this pay attention.

One big hoorah though to Guiness Book of World Records for cutting out the youngest to... category. At least someone learned something.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

27. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

No, they're not. You can't apply a statistic to an individual.

The odds are that most Americans between certain ages who die accidentally will most likely die in a car accident. That's because the most dangerous things most Americans do is get in a car--and even then the odds are that most of them will survive every single time they do it. In this case, you have an individual who is doing something much riskier than getting in a car, which means that that individual's risk is much greater than the risks faced by all the combined average 16-year-olds for whom the statistic applies.

As soon as she got in that boat, her risk factor went way beyond anything that would apply to 16-year-old American girls.

I hope she's found safe and sound. I have a 16-year-old; I just can't imagine any of it--the parents, the voyage, the loneliness, the terror......16 may be very competent and skilled, but it is still so very young.

28. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

I'm an experienced sailor. 48 years of sailing. 10 years of teaching and running sailing programs on Lake Michigan, sailed the West Indies and there is no way I would even think of attempting something like this.
    I have sailed with some of the most experienced sailors in the world (America's Cup and Whitbread competitors) and they wouldn't do this themselves. I can't image the terror she would have gone though out there that far from land and rescue.

29. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

A Qantas airbus should be in the area right now but I really hope she's in no real distress, as the article said that rescue boats won't reach the area for about 24 hours and no one can really jump off the airbus to help.

It's the wrong time of year to be making that kind of trip, 16 or 36. It's winter in the Southern Hemisphere and the storms are a lot worse than usual. That's precisely why Jessica Watson did her 6 or 7 months over the summer period.

30. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I completely agree.

I would think a sixteen year old sailing around the world alone would grow up really fast. And I would also assume that she is as strong as she needs to be. If not, she certainly should not be sailing alone under most circumstances.

What bothers me is that a sixteen-year-old is not an adult and parents remain responsible for that teen to a certain extent. If the teen doesn't survive the journey the parents are going to feel guilt and remorse for the rest of their lives. Even more so if they encouraged the teen to set out on such a big trip alone.

Though in all cases it would seem only prudent to advise the would-be-adventurer to sail with companions.