15 years ago today

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by cctaka, Nov 20, 2010.

1. cctaka

cctaka New Member

I'm not sure if there is a thread on this but....

15 years ago today, the skating world has lost one of the greatest pair skaters of all time, Sergei Grinkov.

Rest in peace and you will always be remembered.

Wonder if there will be a special mention on Battle of the Blades before Katia performs....

2. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem it, does it?

Sergei will never be forgotten by those us who were lucky enough to see him and Katia skate together. He really was one of the best male Pairs Partners that ever was.

The thing I wonder the most about Sergei these days, is how he'd be reacting to Daria as a teenager and discovering that boys really aren't as icky as they were maybe five years ago? That was the one thing that really had me the most sad fifteen years ago tonight. That Daria would never really ever know her Father or remember much about him. Still has me sad even now.

May he rest in peace.

3. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

R.I.P. Sergei :(

I wonder if Katia still gets sad when she thinks of him :(

4. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

RIP, Sergei. Katia's first solo tribute to him stands out as the most moving figure skating performance I have ever seen.

5. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

Woaw, time flies ! I hadn't realized it was already such a long time ago...

6. isask8

isask8 New Member

RIP Sergei

I just finished reading Ekaterina's book a few days ago. It really touched me.

7. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Wow. :wuzrobbed

RIP Sergei.

I remember watching them as a little girl, wanting to be just like her, with such a great partner. They are why I got into skating. I remember crying all day when I heard he died; I was 9.

8. Kati

Kati Active Member

He was such a great skater, and a good man. RIP.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

There's a nice tribute to G&G at the beginning of this "Battle of the Blades" fluff intro segment that also features a clip of a now 18(!)-year-old Daria being interviewed in California: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-wAZLLI_Tw

10. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

I think of dear, beautiful Sergei every November 20th and remember how heartbroken I was then and still am now. Everytime November comes along, I think to myself, "his aniversary is coming up, how can it be ____ years?" I cannot believe it is 15.

I'll say a prayer for Dasha today.

-Bridget :wuzrobbed

11. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Simply can't believe it's been 15 years. It is still shocking to me - to see such a young, healthy man pass away at such a young age. My thoughts are with Katia and Daria today. These anniversaries are never easy.

12. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem that long ago. I remember watching the TV tribute and sobbing when she skated and at the end.... when they left an "opening" for him. Just so sad. They were such a great couple. :(

13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Every year, on November 20th, I think of him. That's weird !
    But I really loved their skating.
    RIP Sergei :)

14. Tessa

Tessa New Member

I remember sobbing.

15. Artifice

Artifice Guest

It's like it was yesterday. 15 years... my god. Sergei is still alive for the world of sport, his skating has not been matched, as well as the G&G pair, except by one team IMO. But G&G will remain one of a kind.

16. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

The reason I always remember the date is because it was also my mom's birthday.

That day, I was getting ready for work and walked into the room where the radio was and they were finishing up "...................Olympic figure skater passed away". I got chills all over. I looked up the radio station's phone number and called them. I asked them who they were talking about. The girl who answered the phone told me and we both started crying.

17. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Sergei Grinkov will never be forgotten.

18. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Can't believe it's been fifteen years...seems just like yesterday when it was the ten year anniversary, and I made this:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Gymfan15#p/u/10/Q7U1diEG3KU

I can't believe Dasha is eighteen already! I saw that clip of her talking and I didn't believe it was her. But then when you look closer, you see just how much she looks like her dad. Awww...

Sergei will never be forgotten; he was part of one of the greatest pairs skaters ever.

Rest in peace...

19. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I remember my mom left me a voice mail message. She said one of the Olympic pairs skater guys from Russia had died. I didn't know if it was Artur or Sergei since she didn't have a name. Either way I was worried. Artur was my favorite male pairs skater, and Sergei was married with a child, so I felt awful either way! Still surreal. Kind of like remembering the day Lady Diana died, or when John Lennon was shot (as least for us skating fans).

20. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

My experience is similar to yours Susan1, I first heard it on the radio....Olympic champion figure skater passes away was all I heard. I assumed it was someone from a long time ago. They repeated it again shortly after, I remember being so shocked & my mom & I crying. I can't believe it's been 15 years. So happy Ekaterina Gordeeva has continued skating though :)

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

My gosh, it's hard to believe it's been 15 years. Daria was so tiny. What a beautiful young woman she's become -- she looks so much like both parents!

I hope his family and friends relived some fond memories of him today. God rest him.

22. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

I was 13 when it happened. I wasn't big on pairs, at the time. So, I didn't really know them too well, but I completely fell in love with their skating from all the clips and the special. Since then, I've read her book 3 times(which says a lot), and I think she's one the sweetest and bravest people I've ever seen.

23. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Sergei died in Nov.1995. I still think of that day every year. Such a big loss!

24. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Wow Sergei certainly lives on in Daria ! :eek:
    When the clip came on it was like seeing him there :)
    She is a beautiful girl and he would have been so proud.

25. Kelleys6th

Kelleys6th Active Member

26. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

27. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

They also skated to Out of Tears by the Rolling Stones at that show. Also telling...

28. Nikki Lee

Nikki Lee Active Member

Ms Gordeeva skated to the Mahler piece that Virtue and Moir used to win Olympic gold. Virtue and Moir made some beautiful romantic moves in that performance. The emotion of that skate was built on the foundation laid by Grinkov and Gordeeva; perhaps not consciously but energetically.

29. Kelleys6th

Kelleys6th Active Member

And Marina Zouva was choreographer for both.

:cat:

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

That anniversary will always be with me.
    Thank you, Sergei. RIP.

God be with you, Katia and Daria!