14th Van Cliburn International Piano Competition, May 22 - June 9, 2013

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by UMBS Go Blue, Feb 15, 2013.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

How beautiful!
    That says more about what kind of man he was than all the fame/awards in the world.

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Re the NYC ticker tape parade for Van Cliburn after he won the first Tchiakovsky Piano Competition in Russia, Van Cliburn said in the below interview that he didn’t think the adulation was really for him. He felt that it was just "a great moment for classical music..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Z1e6HWV3Y

Van Cliburn on the famous headline that he was the 'Texan who conquered Russia':

Van Cliburn on performing:

Van Cliburn on the lasting joy of music:

Thanks for starting this thread, UMBS Go Blue! RIP Van Cliburn.

3. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

4. UMBS Go Blue

Just my opinion from the sound clips provided in this link only:

Clear standout
    Nikolay Khozyainov, Russia

Totally rocked the Liszt Spanish Rhapsody; brought a lot of life and character to it. Edited to add: the sound clip in the interactive feature likely came from this YouTube vid.

Honorable mentions
    Sarah Daneshpour, USA
    Feifei Dong, China
    Giuseppe Greco, Italy
    Ruoyu Huang, China
    Claire Huangci, China
    Vadym Kholodenko, Ukraine
    Alessandro Taverna, Italy
    Jie Yuan, China

Also worth a look, although the clips were only in ensemble
    Lindsay Garritson , USA
    Nikita Mndoyants, Russia

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  5. UMBS Go Blue

Quoting from a Cliburn Foundation email earlier today. Jade is BACK! :cheer2: :rockstar:

6. skatesindreams

Wonderful!

7. UMBS Go Blue

8. skatesindreams

I'll be reading and watching, avidly!

9. UMBS Go Blue

The Olympics of piano has begun! 2 weeks of merry music making! :cheer2:

They had some hiccups with the live webcast, but it's now up and running. They'll also have all the performances available after the fact, on demand.

http://www.cliburn.org/landing.html

10. UMBS Go Blue

What little we did see of Claire Huangci (USA) was quite dynamic and competent - especially for her unlucky position as the 1st performer of the competition.

Partial standing ovation! And this isn't even in Canada! Whee! :cheer2: :40beers: :respec:

Live webcast here:
    http://www.cliburn.org/landing.html

Twitter feed here:
    https://twitter.com/TheCliburn

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  11. skatesindreams

Thank you!

12. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

It's working perfectly, and the quality is excellent!

13. UMBS Go Blue

What little we saw of the first performer - Claire Huangci - was quite good. Will have to review the rest of her performance. And, also, this year's competition allows for 2 preliminary round recitals so that we can get more than 1 look at a contestant.

Scipione - the 2nd performer - was... meh. :yawn:

Beatrice - currently up - is looking very good, although she's doing a relatively easy Clementi piece. We'll see how she does with the Schumann.

14. LynnW

LynnW Politiking for Purple

Steven Linn is quite dramatic with +3 GOE facial expressions.

15. UMBS Go Blue

Didn't catch Lin.

Koziak was merely OK. Muddled reading of the Rachmaninov.

16. UMBS Go Blue

Alex McDonald. Mmmmm. :grope: :swoon:

Too bad he's engaged. :wuzrobbed

17. skatesindreams

I'm missing the blog and listener participation commentary that they offered in 2009.

18. UMBS Go Blue

See the Twitter feed down below. There's also a blog elsewhere on the website that started this morning but have not checked it yet.

McDonald had a few technical errors in the Haydn and in the Liszt so far, but his Liszt interpretation is quite exquisite, which is to be expected as Jade said he did his doctoral dissertation on it.

And he's :swoon: :grope: .

19. UMBS Go Blue

And the obligatory home crowd standing ovation, Canuckistani Texas style. :lol:

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  20. skatesindreams

I checked the message board/forum suggested on Facebook; but, they were arguing about lack of difficulty in the repertoire of some contestants.

21. UMBS Go Blue

Listened to Mndoyants in the background; while Beethoven's final sonata is always a pleasure to listen to, Mndoyants's interpretation probably won't cut it.

This Buratto hipster who's on right now has some pretty OTT expressions playing a relatively simple (but beautiful) Haydn sonata. We'll see if he can hold up to more challenging pieces.

Edited to add: Buratto is really a quite good performer. Too bad the expressions are a bit OTT for the genteel classical music world. He's really more suited to playing double bass at a hipster cafe on Valencia in the Mission or at the Village Vanguard.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  22. falling_dance

falling_dance Happy for Kozuka, Sad for D. Murakami

I enjoyed the Hipster Buratto's playing of the Schumann Fantasy.

23. UMBS Go Blue

Reviews are in from day 1 of the Cliburn!

Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Dallas Morning News

My $0.02 below, on top of, or summarizing, all my previous posts. Archived video can be seen at the Cliburn's on-demand page.

5.0 stars

Giuseppe Greco, Italy. Rocked the house. Every minute of his performance is worth watching. The Beethoven sonata was absolutely riveting, particularly the 2nd and 4th movements, and his interpretation of the Debussy L'isle joyeuse warhorse is my favorite yet.

4.5 stars

Claire Huangci, USA. Stylish, lucid, dynamic performer. In the "on-demand" link, the last 5 minutes (starting at about 30.00) are exactly the kind of footage that will make the PBS special this fall.

4.0 stars

Luca Buratto, Italy. Yes, he's over the top in his mannerisms, and he looks more suited to playing double bass in a hipster quartet in a cafe on Valencia in the Mission, or in a jazz band at the Village Vanguard, but much of his music-making was quite exquisite.

3.5 stars

Steven Lin, USA. Demonstrated technical competence and lots of flashiness, but I'll have to listen further to gauge the artistic depth.

Alex McDonald, USA. Seemed like he had a few technical errors here and there, but the interpretation of the Liszt sonata was quite compelling, which is no surprise as he did his doctoral dissertation on it.

Beatrice Rana, Italy. Very, very competent technically, and quite a bit of depth in her musicality. But she's rather young, at 20, and plays like a competition "robot," with zero panache. Let's hope she continues maturing. After all, Olga Kern was unmemorable in her first Cliburn apperance before emerging renewed and taking Fort Worth by storm in 2001.

Others

Marcin Koziak (Poland) / Nikita Mndoyants (Russia) / Scipione Sangiovanni (Italy). Didn't really care for, or warm up to, their interpretations of what they played.

24. skatesindreams

The newspaper reviewers had some divergent opinions!

I missed Greco; and definitely want to hear him.
    Thank heaven for "on demand" video.

25. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

OMG... I know him! For many years, I heard him play every summer because we both attended the same summer conservatory as teenagers.

The "simplest" pieces are sometimes the most difficult to play. Every note is heard--you can't mask any mistakes.

26. skatesindreams

Last edited: May 26, 2013
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  27. aftershocks

The above link is to the TSL interview with Jeremy Abbott, skatesindreams.

Did you have a different link re the meaning of The Cliburn comp to pianists?

28. skatesindreams

I'll find it, and fix the link!
    That's what I get for trying to do two things at once.

ETA: Fixed

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  29. aftershocks

^^ Thanks skatesindreams for both links. Sylvia posted another link to the Abbott interview in GSD, and I opened a new thread with the link so people can find it more easily. Thanks again. :)

It's so great that we have unfettered access to The Cliburn competition performances!

30. UMBS Go Blue

Bit busy yesterday and today and have not tuned in until now.

Sean Chen, who's up now, has movie-star-handsome good looks, and lots of hair... that is seriously in need of a cut and some styling. He'd really look :swoon: :grope: with just a little more TLC. :saint:

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.