125th IOC Session - 2020 Olympics/Wrestling In or Out?/New President

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by allezfred, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Barcelona is also considering opening a bid for the 2022 Games.

2. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

It was already with the 2018 Olympics being held in Pyeongchang. In fact, it was 0% even before Tokyo was selected.

3. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

On the one hand yes, but OTOH even if you are busy during the day, you can watch part of the Rio Olympics live if you are willing to be a bit sleep depraved. :)

4. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I think they are still smarting from the rejection of Chicago. Not a lot of love lost between USOC and IOC for that and other reasons right now (TV $$$).

5. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

6. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

While I wish wrestling was never dropped in the first place, I think ultimately it is a great thing for the sport, it forced itself to get with the times and ultimately will be better off in the long run. I do though, wish that baseball/softball had a chance to return, but alas I'd much rather have wrestling back in the games than baseball/softball so the IOC made a good decision here.

7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Good decision. But then I read this:
    That's the IOC in a nutshell. While I agree that wrestling needed to be brought back, it shouldn't have been dropped to begin with, and it created an unfair competition for softball/baseball and squash - sports in which successful players and teams are often from countries that are not sports powerhouses.

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  8. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

So wrestling is back and everybody can go back to not paying attention to it any more. ;)

9. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Tokyo :cheer:

10. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

I'll, for once (!!), be in the perfect time zone for Rio :p

Yay for Tokyo! :cheer:
    I'll be joining the :coffee: brigade for this one.

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

12. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Agreed re Tokyo, congrats! :cheer2: Also glad wrestling was saved even if I don't enjoy watching it myself.

But will point out North America has it worse timewise for 3/4 of the next Olympics. :wuzrobbed :drama: :coffee:

13. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

Actually, I think both PyeongChang 2018 and Tokyo 2020 will be favorable for North Americans. I fully expect NBC to manipulate the schedule to have as many key events as possible live in U.S. primetime, just like they did in 2008. We should get most of the skiing and snowboarding events live in 2018, as those events can easily be scheduled for 10am-2pm in Korea (which is 8pm-midnight in the Eastern time zone), and I wouldn't be surprised if NBC is able to have most of the figure skating events staged between 10am and 2pm as well. In 2020, I'm sure the swimming and gymnastics finals will be held in the late morning/early afternoon in Tokyo to accommodate the U.S. audience. NBC paid enough for the 2018 and 2020 Games that I would be very surprised if the IOC doesn't meet their scheduling demands.

14. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I've always watched the wrestling, and I know I am one of the few, the proud on that one. My grandfather was an Olympic wrestler back about a zillion years ago. Seriously - a zillion years ago. :lol: But I'm psyched.

15. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

TOKIOOOOO :cheer2:
    WRESTRLNG you did :cheer2:

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Hot men rubbing against each other!

17. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

It's actually really popular in many parts of the world. In places like Iran and Turkey, the general public basically cares only about football/soccer and wrestling. Same with a lot of the former Soviet republics and the eastern parts of Russia. A third of India's medals (3 of 9) in the last two Olympics have come from wrestling, and the medal-winning wrestlers are more famous there than Tiger Woods is in the US. In terms of worldwide participants, only a few sports are ahead of wrestling.

Like these hot brothers.

18. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Whew .. who turned up the temp in here? *fans herself frantically*

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I never would have guessed they were brothers

20. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Thomas Bach (GER) is the new IOC president.

21. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Yet another European male, and this one seems to come with more controversy than Rogge. Allegations of cheating during his sporting career, breaking IOC campaigning rules, business relationships with apparent conflicts of interest, and getting cozy with a Kuwaiti sheikh who isn't reluctant to throw this influence and money around.

In other words, he's the IOC in a nutshell.