10th Anniversary of Michael Weiss Foundation's Ice Champions LIVE 9/14/14 Laurel, MD

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Worlds is HERE & NOW!

http://www.michaelweiss.org
    10th Anniversary Ice Champions LIVE!
    Sunday, Sept. 14, 2014
    at the Gardens Ice House
    13000 Old Gunpowder Road, Laurel, MD

Tickets HERE! https://www.eventbrite.com/e/10th-anniversary-ice-champions-live-tickets-11466305027

Hosted by Christine Brennan — USA Today sports columnist and best-selling author
    And featuring:
    Brian Boitano
    Richard Dornbush
    Mirai Nagasu
    Ashley Wagner
    Adam Rippon
    Michael Weiss
    Alissa Czisny
    Katia Gordeeva
    Ryan Bradley
    Dan Hollander
    Kimmie Meissner
    Sinead and John Kerr
    Isabella Tobias and Ilia Tkachenko
    Eliana Gropman and Ian Somerville
    DC Edge Synchro Team
    Next Ice Age
    More skaters to be added!

Seating Chart HERE! http://www.michaelweiss.org/chart.htm

2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

We're going! It has become a tradition for us. Hoping that Gigi & Luca Becker will be there as well!

Sylvia likes this.
  3. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Another song from Annie Mae, perhaps?

4. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

I will try to attend if I can afford the tickets.

5. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Great line-up this year. Hope I can make it.

6. Sylvia

Great!

RD, I hope you're going again? I've enjoyed seeing your photos from this show the past few years.

7. paskatefan

Yeah, RD, hope you can make it too!

8. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Thanks...

and yes, I'm planning on going again this year!

Sylvia, peibeck and paskatefan like this.
  9. Sylvia

^^^ Great, RD!

Added to the site:
    Hmmm, I wonder what the current record is or if there is one? I know Weiss, Bradley, Dornbush & Hollander can do back flips. John Kerr maybe?

10. paskatefan

^ That should be fun!

11. toepick

toepick Member

Ugh, it's back in Laurel again? I really miss it being in a place that was public transportation accessible.

12. RD

RD Well-Known Member

^ I know.

13. OrioleBeagle

I just bought my tickets! I'll be bringing my friend Tiana (my co-worker) I live about 20 minutes from the rink!

paskatefan and Sylvia like this.
  14. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I'll be there for the second year! I'm in the Baltimore area, so The Gardens is a much better location for me than NoVA. But yeah, for those without a car, it does kind of suck.

Sylvia and paskatefan like this.
  15. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

It's nice that he is bringing more exposure and giving fans a chance to see this great group of skaters in a show. And that Mirai Nagasu and the Kerrs are there.

However, having his name attached as if he's relevant at all in the skating world anymore makes me remember how much I strongly disliked his personality. Hopefully there's more substance there now. :)

Never mind, he really went to town on that website. Chuck Norris is just a fart in the wind compared to him. :rolleyes:

:coffee:

16. acraven

acraven Well-Known Member

I don't believe I've ever heard anything negative about Michael Weiss from someone who actually knows him. In any case, his foundation has donated many hundreds of thousands of dollars to skaters who need help with training expenses. The figure may actually have reached $1 million by now. In addition to the huge organizational effort, the family opens its home to the out-of-town skaters to minimize the cost of putting on the show.

17. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

^^what acraven said. Michael Weiss has done more for up-and-coming figure skaters than most of the "wonderful humble and modest personalities" out there, so what does the guy have to do to get some respect? Talk to any skater who has participated in his shows or who has received a scholarship from him and maybe you'll change your mind.

18. Sylvia

lostnfound and paskatefan like this.
  19. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Looking forward to seeing everyone at this 10th anniversary show! On ice seats are sold out - but I believe there are still bleacher seats avail as well as a couple of VIP seats. The skaters loved the Laurel location last year, which is why we are back there again this year. Silent Auction items will be posted on Michael Weiss's website soon. I'm handling the on ice seats again this year - and happy to say that we have relocated the VIP's to the bleacher side of the ice, since the skaters most often seemed to focus on that area as the"front stage" of their performances. See you all in one short week!

paskatefan likes this.
  20. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

I've been involved behind the scenes with the foundation show since the beginning - and can say that the whole Weiss extended family goes above and beyond to make this show a success and raise money for the scholarships - all the $$ raised from the show is given away in these scholarships. It's truly wonderful to see a skater give back to the sport in such a meaningful way, impacting the lives of so many up and coming athletes.

paskatefan, skatesindreams and Sylvia like this.
  21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your efforts.

I must admit to having mixed feelings about the move of the VIP seats though. I understand, however, because last year the skaters mostly faced the other direction. But occasionally I've gotten good photo ops when the skaters leave the ice.

Here are my pics from last year: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8440248@N08/sets/72157635825981856/ and hope to get some good ones this year as well.

kittyjake5, paskatefan and lostnfound like this.
  22. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Your photos from last year are fabulous!!! I remember you :) Any chance you are coming as a professional photographer this year? Are you VIP this year or regular on-ice seats?

23. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I've done VIP the past 3 years I've attended the show and I'm doing it again this year :40beers: I was dead center ice in the VIP last time and it gave me great coverage of the ice :respec:

I'm not a professional though. Just a hobbyist/serious amateur.

lostnfound likes this.
  24. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

I am sure you will get some amazing photos again this year. I'm at the beck and call of the VIP's again this year, so give me a holler when you get there!

paskatefan likes this.
  25. OrioleBeagle

I will be sitting in Section 4 Row D.

lostnfound and paskatefan like this.
  26. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Silent Auction items are up on Mike's website www.michaelweiss.org - autographed photos, sports items, Sochi olympic memorabilia, travel, skating related items - lots to choose from as always!! You can bid on line up until Sept. 11, then any addition bids only taken at the event site in Laurel at the Gardens Ice House Rink the day of the show. Check Mike's website for more info :)

paskatefan likes this.
  27. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

I really think all the seats are great for this event. Much more up close and personal than an arena venue.

paskatefan likes this.
  28. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Mirai is on the roster to compete at the U.S. International Figure Skating Challenge this weekend. The ladies' free skate is Saturday evening. Is she doing both the competition and the show?

29. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Good question - I will check to see if there is any updated information. I know that there is always the "skaters performing are subject to change" clause because things do come up. Performers are donating their time for this, but unfortunately they sometimes have to cancel and do other events (especially if they are still competing!)

30. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Those who believe that Michael Weiss is anything less than a stand up gentleman are completely wrong. His team wasn't always the best at promoting him in a way that would endear people to him, but he has a reputation for being kind and down-to-earth.