100 Things Your Kids May never Know About

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Karina1974, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I don't think recording a song in a studio is going anywhere. I know you can do all sorts of things with your laptops nowadays and buy really good microphones but 99.9% of artists go in to the studio to record their albums. I don't get that one, at all.

3. Karina1974

Maybe what they are referring to is paying for studio time in a professional studio, and utilizing a "professional" producer/engineer.

My friend Alex's band has been recording, producing and engineering and even mixing their own albums for the past 10 years, without paying for studio time. When he got married and he and his wife bought their house 3 years ago, they converted the top of the garage into a recording studio/rehearsal space.

4. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'd say the kids are blessed if they never have to know about the original Spam. yuk!

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think you are right. Most people trying to make their own music can do it all on their own now. However, it is only a stepping stone. If you are signed by a label you will be thrown into a studio in 2 seconds flat. Besides, most people back in the day could not afford studio time and only played as a live band, often never recording any material.

6. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

It's true about answering machines. Ours' recently broke. It was a machine with four different mailboxes - press 1 for x, press 2 for y, etc. I only found one electronics store with a multiple mail box answering machine and it didn't work. In the end we found some second hand on Craig's List and bought several. . .

I wonder when landlines are going to disappear? Seems that they are used by older people/couples who don't want to pay the higher price for a cell and by businesses who don't want their staff using a phone they can turn off.

And video stores are definitely disappearing. Blockbusters Canada recently went under and several independents are shutting down. Two 'artsy' type independents which were neighbourhood traditions for many, many years shut down in this past year.

Where are people going to get their movies now? Apparently Rogers isn't expanding. Netflicks for $8.00 a month plus tax and fees, etc., doesn't appear to me. And can you actually store the movies on a computer and watch on a TV screen with the proper toy?

7. wustfan

wustfan Member

I don't get number 87. Why would kids never know a pool with a diving board?

8. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Considering #79, I would guess lawsuits.

9. Karina1974

A lot of pools are taking them out because of the fear of diving accidents in the form of people hitting the pool bottom. I remember back in 1987 when the pool where I had learned to swim took theirs out because the state of NY changed the allowable minimum depth to 14 feet, and this pool only had a maximum depth of 10 feet. I used to dive off that board a lot and I often would touch the bottom before surfacing.

One of our state parks, John B. Thacher, in recent years decided to redo the pool over completely and, as I understand it, they were not going to replace the diving boards. They had one, possibly two, 1 meter boards, and a 3 meter board, and I used to swim there very frequently. I don't even know if that project was ever finished, because 2 years ago we had the controversy over whether or not the state parks were even going to open for the summer (due to no $$ in the budget to run them) so I don't know the status of that new pool.

10. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I have a landline because my house sits in a dead zone. I have to walk to the end of a 90 foot driveway to make a call on my cell phone. Also, if we lose power for days or weeks due to a hurricane there's no easy way to charge it.

11. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I'm getting so sick of my cell phone. I wouldn't be surprised if I got rid of it and got a landline instead after I graduate college, honestly. I've been thinking about it constantly. My plan runs out right after I graduate.

Don't most answering machines come built into the actual landline phones these days, anyway? Though I'm sad that they're hard to find. I was planning on getting my father one, as he won't ever get a cell phone and it's irritating to have to call and call until he picks up because I can't leave a message!

12. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I have a landline because my alarm service requires it. I would like to get rid of it.

13. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Our landline phones were getting so they wouldn't hold a charge so we got a new system at Walmart last week with 3 sets. It has a built in answering machine. Several of the brands there had them, like V-Tech & AT&T.

Sorry for the double post.

ETA: I still have my dad's old 16mm movie camera.

14. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

4. The number of TV channels being a single digit.

Landlord won't let us have a satellite dish and cable is not available. And our bandwidth is capped at 15 GB per month. So - we have 8 channels.

21. 5- and 3-inch floppies, Zip Discs and countless other forms of data storage.

Little skateycat just got a book from the library that was Magic School Bus Explores the Computer or something like that. It was published in 1996 and contains a page on how to dissect a floppy disk.

96. Libraries as a place to get books rather than a place to use the internet.

See above. Even with the 15 GB cap, the internet service is much better at our house, with no one kicking us off the computer after 30 minutes, except ourselves.

15. grimey

grimey bird is the word

75.LEGO just being square blocks of various sizes, with the odd wheel, window or door.

When I was growing up “Space” LEGO and Castle LEGO( maybe pirate as well) were the only themed ones. Gone are the days when you could just make a house

16. Japanfan

Usually people with landlines get voice-mail with their service provider as part of bundle of features (call wait, caller ID, etc.). The messages are delivered and accessed on the phone. The reason I need an answering machines with multiple boxes is that I share the landline with my husband and run a business from my home.

For one person on his or her own, voicemail is usually all that is needed.

17. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

You can leave a message when you call him, but he insists he doesn't have an answering machine. He probably has voicemail and doesn't even realize it and has no clue how to access it. But it's been years and I feel like it should have filled up by now?...

18. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

6.Rotary dial televisions with no remote control. You know, the ones where the kids were the remote control.

Ha, I forgot all about that. Suddenly I remember sitting on the floor in the living room and one of my parents saying "Southpaw! Turn it to Channel 2."

19. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Your parents called you Southpaw?

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  20. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

To add to #91, having to manually roll down the car windows.

21. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I am always a little :rofl: and :confused: by these lists. There has been and always will be a 100 things your kids will not know about. It's called progress. To state that our generation is better off because we did certain things is :rolleyes:

22. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

In my part of the United States everyone uses Redbox. They're little kiosks located all over town at drugstores, McDonald's, etc. You can use your credit card to rent movies for 99 cents a night. I also stream my Netflix through my Roku player. Others stream it through their gaming system. I can also connect my laptop to my television and use it as a monitor. Netflix is about to start charging separate fees for streaming and receiving DVDs, so I might cancel it when that happens, unless they can add more new releases to their streaming.

23. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I get DVDs from the library.

24. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

Re: movies...there ain't *nothin* you can't get on the internet these days.

I also have a few friends with Apple TV, which has a huge movie selection. The only way I see movies are in the theater, on TV, or because a friend has downloaded it somewhere. Once in a blue moon, I watch something on DVD that I've bought or has been lent to me, but I haven't set foot in a video rental store in years.

There are a lot of things on the list I don't think will go away entirely. Recently mentioned, manual car locks and windows--I still have those on my 1999 vehicle, and they'll remain on vintage cars for a long time. When I think about things my kids will never know, I always come back to the Internet--they won't be able to fathom what it was like to not have the Internet and all its conveniences, just like I can't imagine a world without electricity.

25. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

26. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

We have unreliable signals at home, as well. And we can only get service from Verizon or U.S. Cellular, no other companies have towers in our county. And I still know plenty of people who live in rural areas without access to a reliable cell signal and have landlines.

27. Japanfan

We tried using a free program (Bit Torrent I think) to download movies but it gave us a virus, so that was the end of that]

I've never heard of Redbox but would be fine paying an per-movie fee to Neflix. How is the quality when you transfer the stream to you TV screen?

28. Japanfan

Who is saying we are better off? Some advancements are for the better, some are not. Long distance phone calls are way more affordable today than they were in decades past, and that's a good thing. And there are many, many wonderful things about computers and the information highway.

After WWII, there were many advancements in appliances and packaged food products. My mum loved, loved loved them all: dishwasher, mix-master, electric can opener, Campbells' soups, cheez wheez, etc. It

However, I remember a friend whose mother insisted on using a ringer washer instead of an electric because it did a better job of cleaning clothes. And I think that the washing machines of today remain inferior to the old ringer washer.

There is always something lost as technology advances. I certainly don't have any desire to return to using a typewriter - I remember being so excited when I got my first electric one - but think the general quality of writing has declined due to the computer. And attention spans are smaller.

And while many new, cheap technologies are wonderful, they have built-in obsolescence. The household I grew up in had the same TV and two telephones for 30 years!! Today TVs and phones are out-dated quickly and break down within a few years.

And one personal quibble of mine about advancements in the telephone is that you can't get hold of anyone on the phone anymore. People turn their cell phones off and don't listen to their messages, if they even have a message box. And any company you call has a voice mail system in place - you used to be able to call a government office and actually talk to someone in the government.

Another change not totally for the better is that so many children recreate with TV and technology. When I was a kid we played outside and found things to do. Sure, we didn't develop the technological skills that kids have today. But I think we may been more imaginative (or imaginative in a different way) and less materialistic.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
    Kruss and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Karina1974

^^^Good post. The other problem with "high-tech" stuff is that it's great and it makes the job easier... until it breaks! And then you are completely screwed if that is the only method you have to get the job done. Where I work, for instance, all the sales work is done on the computer - looking up pricing, writing quotes, releasing the actual orders and printing out the paperwork the shop uses to select/cut the steel, and closing out and billing the order. If the computers go down, and the server needs to be re-booted or what-have-you, we're SOL. Everything in that office is done on computer, not just sales, so the whole work day comes to a halt until the computers are up again.

30. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

This is SO true! When I was a kid, we were constantly outside playing with our friends. In the car, we talked and laughed with each other, or played road games.

Now my sisters literally have to kick their kids outside to play, only to have the kids come inside soon after, proclaiming they're "bored". They don't know how to play kick the can, turn a bike upside-down and pretend it's an ice cream machine, or play games while on a long car trip like spotting different states' license plates. Wow, typing that even seemed boring. :lol: But it's true, and I can't help but feel they're missing out. Not to mention that they also don't get the exercise they need sometimes.