10 month old abducted from crib

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Oct 4, 2011.

1. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I think people on the sidelines have grown tired of becoming emotionally invested in these sad stories that turn out to be phony. People have become much more suspicious and untrusting as a result of having their trust abused.

Maybe it's television, as someone pointed out, maybe it's just that we don't trust people anymore. With good reason - look how much time and effort went into searching for allegedly abducted children that turned out to have been killed, or sold to be killed, by their parents. In those children's names, I think the police and the public have to be at least a little suspicious of the parents during disappearances, especially when it's a "stranger in the middle of the night."

I never thought Jaycee's stepfather was involved. I did think Zahra Baker's stepmother killed her, which the justice system upheld. Shaniya Davis' mother - not a doubt. This story just seems too bad-mystery-novel-ish for my taste, although it's plausible. I haven't seen any video footage of the parents, so I hope I'm wrong.

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

3. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

People saying that they have a gut reaction that the mother killed her baby and disposed of the body as soon as they heard about this or that they had bad feelings from the start isn't really discussing details of the case, at least not to me.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Because he did not get along with her, he MADE her walk to school which is how the perv abducted Jaycee. So in my mind he is culpable.

5. moojja

moojja Active Member

How old was she? What was the neighborhood like? B/c walking to school by yourself seems pretty normal to me.

6. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:confused: Are your children ever out of your sight?

Hedwig and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

My mother took the bus to school by herself in Taipei (a VERY large and busy city) when she was 6.

I suppose her parents secretly wanted her to be kidnapped. :eek:

8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

That is some fcuked up reasoning.

Aren't you the one who posted earlier about being able to spot fake tears a mile away?

(and I also was allowed to walk unchaperoned around my town under the age of 10. Too bad my parents were just too inept to arrange for a psychopath to pick me up!)

9. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I didn't realize this forum was strictly for stating facts and that interjecting one's thoughts is not allowed.

10. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

The whole story is in the Jaycee Dugard thread. Dirt road, rural area, no houses; better yet read her book for the first hand account.

11. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

didnt they move to that town because they thought it was safer?

the idea that he is culpable is rather silly

12. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I have my phone with me almost all the time. On the rare occasions that I have forgotten it, I generally turn around and go get it. I've had one too many flat tires or car issues to even think about not having it. The reason I got one of those first huge cell phones was because my car had issues on a major interstate and no one stopped, in broad daylight. Eventually my car started again and I could get to a truck stop, but it was scary to be on the side of the interstate with semis and cars passing you at 70 miles an hour.

I am quite OCD about locking the doors and even more so if my husband is out of town. When my kids were little, I made sure that all the doors were locked. I don't sleep well when my husband is gone and wake up with the littlest of noises. If my husband was working nights for the first time - I would have had super hearing. But then as some people have noted, not everyone has that "spidey sense" or "cautionary" personality.

The video clips of the workers going through the landfill was gut wrenching. There was a little boy killed by his father in this area and we saw night after night of video clips of people searching landfills. People volunteered to do that.

The police and FBI must have some reason to believe it is necessary to search landfills. They must have some reason to state that the family is no longer cooperating. I would like nothing more than to believe that the child is safe or that if she isn't that the parents are not involved. That said, I think that the family does know something and may be involved at some level.

13. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I could see that little boy's face in my mind as soon as I read this, numbers123. That was a horrible tragedy.

I also have a feeling that the police in KC have found (or not found) something that is making them take the course in this investigation that they are taking.

14. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

That's exactly why I got mine, because I had a few car emergencies, including one at a gas station, where in order to use the pay phone I had to take out $$ from an ATM and then buy something in order to get change for the phone to call AAA.

I am too. My mother was a stickler about keeping the doors locked, and running around making sure everything was tied down if we were all going somewhere out of town. My parents' house is the only one on their street that hasn't been broken into in the 38 years they've been living there.

15. DianeO

DianeO New Member

^^^This.

The biggest red flag to me is that it was the husband's first time working at night AND the first time she left the door unlocked. It doesn't add up. If I was home alone with my baby for the first time during the night I think it would definitely be in the forefront of my mind to make sure the door is locked.

16. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Don't you think it's strange that the two other children in the house slept through it all?

17. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

I think it's highly likely the parents were involved in some way; there are too many convenient coincidences. But IMO anyone who tells you that they don't believe in coincidences is an idiot by definition, so I reserve at least some doubt because sometimes 1+1 does not equal 2.

For example, I've been known to leave the house through the garage and leave the front door wide open--or vice versa. Michael Moore would probably think he was in Canada if he happened to drop by. And when my kids were little, I was often so tired I had no idea where my cell phone was or if it was charged or turned on, and we used to charge all of our phones in the kitchen at night.

But the likelihood that someone would just happen to come along looking for a child to snatch AND just happen to come to a house that just happened to have an unlocked door AND a child AND only one adult at home AND and and and. Not likely.

However, I remember one case where a child was snatched at out of bed at night under highly unlikely circumstances and the police were convinced that the parents did it--only they actually didn't. And the police didn't bother to look for anyone else, so the kidnapper/killer ended up killing at least one other child before he was caught and confessed.

So......I just hope the baby ends up being all right.

18. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Not if there's an undiscovered history of abuse and they are just afraid to say what they saw/heard.

But that having been said, if my baby went missing, and then I was subjected to 3 days of interrogation while I wanted to be out looking for my kid, I might stop talking to the cops, too. Especially if I knew I had nothing to do with it and I felt they were ignoring possible suspects.

This is a horrible story whatever happens :(

19. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Given the way the police sometimes latch onto a theory and keep holding it despite any (all?) evidence to the contrary, I don't know what to read into this other than "the parents" are part of their theory.

They were certainly latched onto that idea in the Adam Walsh case at a similar time in the investigation.

I have found that in "big" cases, the police seem more likely to grab hold of a theory and be reluctant to let it go until something else smacks them in the face, hard. Most police detectives will never investigate a kidnapping; it isn't as if they have a lot of opportunity to become good at those investigations, and there are likely to have been a huge number of mistakes early along.

20. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

It doesn't sound like the mother left it unlocked. I assumed the intruder (if there was one) to have left by the front door. It may be that the parents or the mother is to blame but I would rather suspect someone who knew the father was working overtime. To just assume the mother did it means that the true perpetrator is not being sought.

21. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

X What Prancer said. And ...

I do NOT trust lie detector results (a real-crime junkie, I've viewed/read of far too many false positives/negatives :sekret: ... e.g. didn't OJ pass his first one?).

However, nothing else adds up. I'll be shocked if one of the parents in this case (more likely the mother) isn't involved. And I'm hoping that the little girl is just being used as pawn for what-have-you, and is - against odds - alive and non-traumatized.

Bizarre mindset you possess, there. Everyone I grew up with (and their kids) traversed - alone - "dirt roads, rural area, no houses" ... and there were, let's see, :COP:, zero abductions or any kind of things untoward.

22. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I've heard Polly Klaus's father say when it's your child you are so desperate that you do whatever the police ask. They and the news getting the word out has to be one of your only good options. I can't imagine anyone not being frantic.

23. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

My understanding is that she said she left the door unlocked. That's what was intimated on GMA.

24. numbers123

Pure speculation on my part, but the cell phone thing bugs me. I know that my kids are never more than inches away from their phones and text constantly. Could it be that there was (is) a discussion on the phone that someone was trying to hide?

Like I said the cell phone things bugs me the most because it seems so out of place.

Regarding the left the door unlocked - if I had left it unlocked, I would probably said something like "it was unlocked? I think I remember it being locked and I usually check the locks before I go to bed" I didn't hear the interview that rfisher did, but from her account it sounds like the mom said "I didn't lock it"

25. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Does anyone wonder if the child died naturally, say crib death, SIDS, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, or if, say, the baby was crying and the mother shook her to death, TRAGIC, and the parents wanted to get rid of the body rather than be questioned about it. Guess those are too far fetched.

So sad, something is terribly wrong here.

26. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I don't think it's too far fetch at all, she may have panicked and asked someone to take care of the body instead of call the police.

I also forget sometimes to lock my front door or take my cell phone up stairs with me or even forget to charge it and it goes dead.

If the father did come home in the middle of the night and I knew he was going to be home at the time, I wouldn't think a thing about it if I heard noises at that time. I would have assumed it was him making noises, especially if there was a car running in the driveway or someone opening the front door.

I just the hope the child is found alive soon.

27. numbers123

As much as I want this to happen, the fact that they were searching the local landfill, I don't think that is a real possibility. :( But then I could be wrong - I certainly hope so.

28. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

What would their motive be? I can't think of one other than to hide a death, as Lacey suggested.

29. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I don't watch Nancy Grace, but I'm sure she's already tried, convicted, and crucified the girl's mother :rolleyes:.

That being said, I do think there's something definitely hinky about her account of how things went down that night.

30. Louise

Louise Banned Member

I was watching a news video on this case. They went through the family's house, and it is very small. I can't imagine someone going in and out of there without the mother not hearing something. I want to be upbeat and hope the little girl is returned unharmed, but it really doesn't look good to me. As for the mother's motive, who knows. Maybe she gave the child too much medicine and the baby died, and she's trying to cover it up. But there are two other kids in the house, and you'd think they would have been aware of something going on.

If the mother is innocent I hope she is cleared soon so that this won't be another JonBenet like situation where the parents are still thought to have been involved. Very sad situation.