10 month old abducted from crib

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

All it takes is one time, if indeed it is an "outside" job...

And I agree with Badams about the cell phones. I am "wireless" myself (no landline), and that cell phone is always with me when I leave the house and go somewhere, whether it's to work, the market, or to a contra dance in Lenox, MA which is an hour's drive from where I live. It is also in my saddle bag when I go bicycling (and yes I have had to use it!). That's the real purpose of a cell phone, IMO: so you always have a way to contact someone in the event of an emergency.

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I don't always carry my cell phone. Most of the time but not always.

3. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I forget my cell phone all the time at home, especially if it's on the charger.

My BIL's job doesn't allow cell phones, so he usually leaves it in his glove box, but he's also left it at home. Most notably during the VA earthquake that he never felt. His DD was freaking out because "Dad's not answering his cell phone!" He never answers it - voice mail and patience is the only way you can get hold of him on his cell phone during business hours.

4. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

If I worked the overnight shift I would absolutely always have my phone with me. Even if I had to leave it In the car. Overnight I always make sure there is a phone near enough to me to hear it or find it in case of an emergency. All I have is a cell, so it charges as I sleep...under my pillows. But that's just me.

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised. My roommate has slept through a fire alarm so I wouldn't be surprised if she slept straight through someone breaking into the house.

6. milanessa

(my bold) Yes, that's you (and apparently Karina). It says nothing about what these parents do. The fact that I (and FigureSpins) don't also does nothing to inform about this particular instance.

7. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I forget my cell phone all the time.

But the coincidence of the first time for ...well everything ... does come across as odd.

9. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Well, I don't live in the countryside and I make sure people know where I am going when I go out. If I need to make a call while I'm out, I borrow a phone. If DH needs to get me at the rink/studio/, they have phones at the front desk and can page me or take a message. I'm never out of touch for more than an hour, so it's okay.

The fact that the phones were all together in the kitchen and they were stolen is ominous, but not that the DH left his at home.

Although, I've had a bad feeling about this story from the start...

There's a photo of the little girl standing at a front door, so she might be able to walk, but she's too short to reach the doorknob/handle on her own. Locked or unlocked front door, some adult took that baby.

The Dad's alibi is that he was at work, leaving the Mom as the prime suspect since she didn't have an alibi. Wonder if something happened before the guy went to work and they planned a cover up this way, not realizing the wife would be the fall guy?

10. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

As soon as I heard about this case, I thought, "the mom killed the baby and disposed of the body." Would love to be wrong, of course.

11. milanessa

Why?

12. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I love how people have quickly decided that the parents or at least the mother is a baby killer. Oh wait, some think they just want publicity & money. I think that maybe we should wait for more facts before we expound our personal theories. Should we spare a thought that maybe the parents are innocent & that they are suffering? Or would that kill the fun?

13. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

It's the plot of like every other LAW & Order SVU.

14. milanessa

:lol: Oh, yeah.

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am not saying for sure the parents did it. I actually think the mother is more likely guilty than the father but anything is possible at this point. It is just that in cases like this, the parents are involved 99% of the time. Then throw in the weird facts we are learning about and a failed lie detector test, the odds go up to 99.9%

Aceon6 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Susan Smith, for starters. There was another one where the woman claimed her baby was kidnapped when in fact she had drowned the baby in a nearby lake. Later she changed her story to say she had allowed her baby to accidentally drown in the bathtub and dumped him off because she was afraid of punishment. Link: http://www.kcci.com/r/11420829/detail.html

I feel like I've seen these facts ("OMG, someone kidnapped my children...oh wait, I killed them") play out so many times. Maybe I watch too much Dateline.

I'm not having any fun. That was just my gut reaction. Like I said, I would be thrilled to be wrong. But what are the odds that the one time they don't lock the door someone comes into the house, steals the baby and leaves?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  17. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Lie detectors aren't always that accurate, and also, what did she lie about? What question or questions didn't she answer truthfully?

18. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I agree with you a lot.

It is kind of interesting to read this read from a psychological perspective. There is a theory that says that people react the way a lot of people do in this thread as a form of terror management.
    As soon as something happens that is too hard to grasp and too horrible, they try to persuade themselves that it could never happen to them and that the victims are at fault themselves.
    It is too horrible to even think about your baby being abducted so parents are blamed. Not only if they are the real culprits but also for things every person would do once in a while like forgetting their cell phone or not hearing an intruder.

That is why you so often hear women saying "well, she asked for it with her clothes" when they hear that another woman was raped. (it was her clothes therefore it could never happen to me)

I am not saying that it is not possible that something is fishy. In a lot of cases it sadly was. But the reactions are very typical of terror management, laying the blame at the victims before anything is proven.
    Just imagine that you are wrong. How many people think like you and what a hell these parents then would have to go through added to the abduction.
    Maybe it is fishy. But please keep in mind that your reaction is a very typical one if there are victims (ie to blame the victims) and try to think more of the innocent until proven guilty line...

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  19. myhoneyhoney

The article did not say what the questions/answers say. I'm not involved with the case, I'm just passing on links to articles about this.

20. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

The article also only said that the mother said that the police told her she flunked ... which could be an interrogation technique.

21. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I heard part of a news conference the baby's mother gave, she said the police showed her a picture of Lisa and kept asking her where the body was. She said she kept telling them she didn't know but they would't stop asking her.

22. milanessa

99%? Really? Where did that figure come from?

23. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

Ummmmmm, it is the family or someone close a lot. Not always, just saying. I would have thought Jaycee D. stepfather was guilty, but he wasn't. This situation of parents, etc. abusing, murdering their children is happening way to much and I'm surprised people are shocked that some of us think that thought.

24. myhoneyhoney

That in itself could cause enough agitation and cause a false reading of "lying". I don't know, I hope the parents have nothing to do with this but my gut feeling is another form of Susan Smith. :( It also reminds me of the Haleigh Cummings story in Florida.

25. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Google turns up stats in a few different sources. Parents are involved in child abductions roughly 82% of the time, according to a brief search. That is likely a misleading number, though, as it includes child abductions related to custody disputes and reports when a non-custodial parent has kept a child longer than visitation allows.

26. milanessa

http://www.parents.com/kids/safety/stranger-safety/child-abduction-facts/

27. milanessa

No one is shocked. Lynch mobs have been around for a long time. Just not enough evidence yet for me to go there.

28. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

And when Jaycee was finally found, there wasn't a whole lot of apology going on about his assumed role in the kidnapping. Even in the tv special that ran this year, the only mention of him in the whole show was that there was a stepfather in the picture who "didn't get along" with Jaycee.

29. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

So we can't discuss the details of the case without being part of a lynch mob? On a discussion board? Um...ok then.

30. milanessa

That's not at all what I said. :rolleyes: