10 Greatest Skaters Who Never Won An Olympic Medal?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lamarenee, Mar 5, 2012.

1. lamarenee

lamarenee Active Member

2. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I think the list is ridiculous.

Urbanski and Marval, and no Kurt Browning? :rofl:

And it's VERY US-centric.

3. alij

alij Active Member

Really confused as to how they discuss Kurt Browning in regard to Chris Bowman but he doesn't appear on the list in his own right as for me he is one of the greatest skaters never to have medalled at Olympics

4. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Their opinion, their list. I think they left off quite a few skaters who might be more deserving and didn't lay it down.

5. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I agree it's ridiculous.

Marval and Urbanski? Seriously?

6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Ridiculous sounds about right. That list without Kurt Browning cannot be taken seriously.

I take it the authors are not very familiar with non-US skaters? Yeah, I thought so.

The user comments are nearly as bad.

ETA: Re Urbanski - "31 is like Betty White in figure skating years." Uh, not in pairs it's not. Obviously it's older than the average, but it's not that unusual.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Delete Bonaly, rename the list "10 greatest AMERICAN figure skaters who never won an Olympic medal," replace Urbanski/Marval with Babilonia/Gardiner or Starbuck/Shelley, and add Blumberg/Seibert . . . and then I would have few quibbles with their list.

As is, it's hard to believe they actually followed the sport outside the US media coverage. (And that does include Skating magazine, I'm afraid)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Urbanski & Marvel. Oh my. :lol: They would be by far the worst skaters in any discipline to win an Olympic medal if they had.

9. wickedwitch

wickedwitch Well-Known Member

Not having Kurt Browning makes this more than just a difference of opinions. They're just wrong.

10. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

A very strange explanation of their reasoning appears in the comments:

So apparently if a skater was actually a medal contender, they don't count as one of the greatest who didn't medal, but those who weren't good enough to be considered real contenders can be considered as the underrated greatest. :confused:

Was Todd really "always expected to medal"?

11. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I was a casual fan at best when they competed at the Olympics, and I remember thinking back in 1992 that the name "Rocky Marval" sounded like a character from the Flintstones. :shuffle: Oh, and their SBS spins were never in unison.

12. judgejudy27

Actually the whole list is ridiculous. Tiffany Chin, Elaine Zayak, Surya Bonaly, Tonya Harding, and Jill Trenary could all be on a top 10 ladies singles to never win an Olympic medal, but it is doubtful any of them would have made a top 10 considering all disciplines.

Meno & Sand is quite hilarious as well, despite that i liked them. Bowman and Bobek, the lazy and hard partying underachievers, please.

As for Todd, despite that he would be a worthy inclusion on the list, he was rarely ever expected to medal as it turned out. In 92 and 2002 he wasnt for different reasons despite being the reigning World bronze medalists. In 94 he wasnt expected to make the team and didnt. In 1998 Kulik and Stojko were thought to be a lock on the first 2 medals, leaving Todd fighting with the up and coming Yagudin for the bronze (which Candelero eventually won), and had Urmanov competed he wouldnt have been given much hope of any medal. If he had skated his best in all Olympic the only medal he could have won is a bronze in 1998, or perhaps not with Candelero skating so well that night and getting very high artistic scores. So by that logic (only counting underdog types) he could have been included on the list.

13. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Before I opened the link, I immediately thought of 2 - Kwan and Browning. This list is bogus.

14. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Huh? Kwan medaled twice, what am I missing?

15. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Sorry. I was thinking Gold. Omit Kwan. Add Tai and Randy.

16. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Funny that there are no post-2000 skaters on the list, I could definitely think of some who could also make the list. Delobel/Schoenfelder and Brian Joubert come to mind, for example.

17. icellist

icellist Member

We should create a new thread for greatest alters that never made it to the Olympics: yukari nakano. I felt really bad for her and maybe Alissa czisny if she doesn't stick around until Sochi

18. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I would have to leave Rudy off the list as well :(

19. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

The coupling of Bowman and Bobek is hardly unique to judgejudy, it happens a lot when fans do retrospectives. But for whatever reason, I just want to point out that whatever Bowman's flaws, he never went to a world championships or Olympics and gave an embarrassing, or even "hot mess," type of performance (on the ice, at least). IIRC in four Olympic programs he fell once and turned out of perhaps two or three other jumps. He was never lower than 7th at worlds, and that 7th was after two really fine free skating programs in 1987. He also had a string of fine Skate America performances and, with the exception of the 1990 Goodwill Games, I don't remember many really poor international programs. Unfortunately much as I like her the same cannot be said of Bobek.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

For me, Browning is THE greatest skater never to have medalled at the Olympics.

I disagree with this. When I saw the subject, Todd was actually the first skater I thought of. Going into the 98 Olympics, I think most folks assumed the podium would be him, Kulik, & Stojko in some order. Folks did not expect Candeloro to come up with programs like that after wandering in the wilderness for the previous couple years.

ITA about the author's logic - make a "best skaters who never medalled" list but exclude the very ones who were actually good enough to be expected to medal. :huh: I think they needed a different headline, like "skaters I used to enjoy watching who were not really good enough or dedicated enough to medal at the Olympics or who got really unlucky with injuries". Or maybe "skaters who should have medalled at the Olympics but got jobbed" would have been fun, too.

21. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Kurt Browning, obviously.

Maria Butyrskaya. Much more so than Harding or Bobek. She may have gotten shafted in Nagano for bronze.

I vaguely remember Urbanski/Marval because he was a truck driver, and she got into some sort of fight with a speed skater or something. Being the top pairs skaters in the US usually meant top 10 internationally, not a medalist. Didn't John Zimmerman and that girl he skated with come closer than Urbanski/Marval?

22. duane

duane New Member

I disagree about Tonya. I think she easily makes a top 10 with all disciplines considered.

23. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

Kurt for sure. I also do agree with Todd...1998 was heartbreaking.

In terms of US pairs, Kyoko Ina (with either partner) is a better choice than Urbanski and Marvel.

Punsalen and Swallow, Bourne and Kratz, and Dubreuil and Lazon are all good choices in dance...

24. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Not having Browning and having Bonaly doesn't give the list credit.

25. judgejudy27

That is basically the same thing I said. The 98 Olympics are really the only Olympics he was expected to medal in. As for Candelero, I agree, but what about young Yagudin who skated the best performances of the year at Cup of Russia. As it turns out even with Yagudin opening the door for him with a poor free skating performance, he still probably couldnt have medaled, since Candelero did so well in the long program, even beating Stojko in the long. If we presume a clean Todd wasnt capable of beating Stojko in the long program, it means he wouldnt have been able to beat Candelero either, and with the short program placings would not have medaled.

I still agree with him being on the short list of best skaters to not medal due to all his World medals, but as it is, it would have been hard for him to ever medal nonetheless.

26. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

I don't think one can presume that at all, considering even with his very subpar performance Todd took 3 ordinals from Stojko in the free skate (as well as 2 from Candeloro).

http://winter-olympic-memories.com/html/results/jp_3d/18_nagano/18_figure/18_figure_m_ex.htm

27. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

My Top Eight (not in order of preference):

Denkova & Staviski
    Delobel & Schoenfelder
    Babilonia & Gardner
    Biellmann
    Butyrskaya
    Harding
    Browning
    Joubert

Plenty of others who could be in the Top Ten: Fadeev, Eldredge, Sato, Ando, Zayak, etc.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  28. judgejudy27

In terms of pure skating talent I definitely agree, but I dont think an accurate list is based mostly on talent and (unfullfilled) potential. In terms of her overall career and how much a factor she was, she wouldnt be close to top 10 with all disciplines considered. She was only a medal contender at one Olympics and only the 3rd favorite going into that one.

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I agree with Chin and Harding. I'd add Blumberg/Seibert, Kurt Browning, Alexander Abt, Pestova/Leonovich, Delobel/Schoenfelder, Rakhamo/Kokko, John Misha Petkevich, Gary Beacom, Toller Cranston.

30. Conga

Conga New Member

Kurt Browning definitely, Butyrskaya, Babilonia/Gardner, Rakkamo/Koko (terribly underrated IMO)