10 days into the new year...how are those resolutions coming along?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by TheGirlCanSkate, Jan 10, 2013.

1. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

It took me over a week to come up with a resolution. Last year it was to have 3 meatless nights a week and to bring my own bags at the grocery store. It hit me a couple nights ago that meals with my daughter were just not acceptable when I looked at her and she (and I) were eating dinner while reading books. So my resolution that if we are home, we set the table and light candles and have a dinner with no books or computer. My son came home (he has school and other commitments so he is not normally home) and saw us and started to laugh and then made a plate and joined us. We all lingered at the table and talked while he ate. I realized later that if we had been eating with our books he would have made a plate and eaten alone while watching tv in the other room. So no more missing opportunities!

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  2. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Glad that this seems to be working for you and your family.

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Sounds wonderful! But mine is to stop drinking coffee and too loose weight which aren't going so well right now. :lol:

4. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

In 1984 I had a resolution not to make any more New Year's Resolutions but to make resolutions all through the year as I saw something that in my life that needed improving. I kept that until 2009 but 2009 through 2012 were hard not to make yearly goals in Jan. for various reasons. However, I believe I'm back on track as I made a bunch of resolutions in Dec. of all times just because. :D

5. MacMadame

Loose weight is gross, all jiggly and everything. ;)

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Can I blame this latest typo on my iPad too?! hehehe Hey, a little jiggle isn't all bad! :p

7. floskate

floskate Vacant

I am 8 days smoke free. :eek: You have no idea what a big deal this is for me but I am now a non smoker for the first time in 25 years!!! And I'm doing this without any form of NRT :eek: :cheer:

FiveRinger, beepbeep, Kasey and 5 others like this.
  8. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Congratulations, floskate, and best of luck with it. I resolved to cut my smoking back dramatically with the help of NRT last June and have maintained the behaviour modification program I implemented. I'm not ready to take the next step, but think I can understand how big of a deal it might be for you.

9. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:cheer2: :cheer:

Still trying to get to the gym and weightlift more, although I wasn't able to go for two weeks and UGH I am feeling it 2 days after my first time back. But I'm glad the New Year's crush doesn't extend to free weights or off hours. :lol:

Trying to have a better sleep schedule. That one's failing. :saint:

10. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I'm 14 years smoke free next month - best thing I ever did for myself.

I made resolutions last year (mainly to get myself back in shape, including losing all this weight) and did a fantastic job - until summer, when I fell completely off the wagon and regained all the weight I lost and then some. :( So I am trying again this year, but this time I am putting in place some support, including a formal weight loss program. I have my first appointment in a couple weeks.

11. MacMadame

Sure. And can I say... I've always wanted to say that. This is just the first time I had the nerve. :lol:

12. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Mazel tov ... to you, to sk8r1964 and to everyone else who are quitting now (or who have quit)!

13. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

So far so good, down 2.1 pounds :)

14. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I wanted to lose the "constipated grumpy old man" sounding way-of-posting.....I'm still trying to loosen up. :p

15. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

So far, so good. It's now 10 days of 100 pushups, situps or squats every morning. Combined with portion control, I've lost the 3 pounds I gained over the holidays. And it's now part of the routine, so let's see if I keep it up!

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Aimless

Aimless New Member

I made this resolution a couple years ago but it was hard to keep because I kept leaving my bags in the car. I would just check out and sheepishly take the plastic bags. Then I got tough. Once or twice, despite it being rather annoying, when I realized my oversight I left my full shopping cart in the store and marched firmly back out to the parking lot to get the bags. Did this twice and never forgot them again. Thing is, if you have the right bags, they are *so* much better and nicer and easier to use than those wasteful, hand-cutting, crappy scraps of plastic flotsam. It's really a win-win thing once you get in the habit.

There's one pitfall, that has gotten me not once but twice. Dash to the store in little wedge of time between work and Jazzercise, jump out of car, rip open rear door, grab a bag, run into store for whatever urgently needed item. Come back out of store and am dumbfounded to see the driver's door OPEN. Never shut it in my haste. Twice I have done this.

My resolution, to work on my weight and fitness, is going well. Have lost just over 7 pounds and been to four jazzercise classes, speaking of which.

Congrats floskate on kicking the habit! It must feel great. Hang in there.

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I have couple of those easy cloth folding bags in my purse and they do not take up much room.

18. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Remembering to bring your own bags is a lot easier when you're charged 10cents for each one you have to get from the store. :p Huzzah for plastic bag bans?

19. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I usually remember or just get another 99 cent one off the rack. Or ask for a paper bag. I'll bet I have 30 or more in the cars or in the laundry room. Almost defeats the purpose doesn't it? :lol:

20. MacMadame

I refuse to get another one because I have so many. I've carried stuff to the car when it was falling out of my hands and bribed my kid to run back and get them too. I haven't done the "leave the cart in the middle of the store thing" yet but I bet, if I do, I won't forget them any more either.

I voted for our county's plastic bag ban as I thought it was a good idea and I have about 25 reusable bags, most of which I didn't even pay for, but I didn't realize how hard it would be to get in the habit of bringing them every damn time.

However, yesterday I brought one into Chipolte, told them I had it, and then they proceeded to put my food into a paper sack and then put that sack into my reusable bag. Um, doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of me bringing in my own bag? :lol:

21. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

Congratulations to all those healthy resolutions!

And lol about Chiplote....I've brought a glass dish to a Thai place and had them put 3 orders in it. It was for a potluck and I didn't want to bring it in a Styrofoam container. Normally I cook but this was for kids and I didn't think they would eat it anyway. It ended up being lunch for us moms later.

22. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I've lost 4 pounds, but mostly due to being sick. No taste buds, no appetite, no alcohol.

23. RobbieB

RobbieB New Member

I've lost 1.3 pounds. Not real exciting, but I guess it's a dent...albeit a really little one.

---
    R. Bryant
    Burlington Bus