UPDATES ON MY DREAM TO LEARN TO ICE-DANCE...WISH ME LUCK!!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
So even Tessa Virtue still takes lessons? Famous Ice-Dancers just don't always talk about their lessons?

Yes, they take lessons from their coaches. The lessons might not be the same kind of lessons that beginning skaters take - the lessons would be more about improving their dances or programs, rather than learning new steps or moves or dances. But they are still lessons.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
So even Tessa Virtue still takes lessons? Famous Ice-Dancers just don't always talk about their lessons?

I used to skate on sessions where Logan and Lynne had their lessons. The session was open to anyone in the club who wanted to do just dance (no freestyle). I will admit to standing at the boards and just watching when they did run throughs. :)

Last edited:

FSWer

Say,btw. does anyone know if after a curtain amount of lessons you need to renew your lessons with the coach? Or should it be all in as long as YOU YOURSELF can keep paying?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer The Foxtrot is a intermediate level dance, so, no, you would not learn it your first day. The first dance most people learn is the Dutch Waltz, but to do that dance you have to be able to hold an edge on one foot, and do progressives and swing rolls. So on your first day the coach will probably look at your basic skating and decide what to work on with you.

You work with the coach for as long as you want to work together and as long as you can afford to pay for lessons.

FSWer

So,she should be just checking me out that first day? Should she also be seeing what I can do?

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
Yes. You would work on swing rolls and basic stroking to see what dance you should start at. For me (and pretty much everybody), it was the Dutch Waltz.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
And if she doesn't think you are ready to start learning dances, she will probably work with you on basic moves like good stroking and strong edges. That may not seem like ice dancing, but it will help you have good basic skills that will help you do the dances better when you start learning them.

FSWer

Yes. You would work on swing rolls and basic stroking to see what dance you should start at. For me (and pretty much everybody), it was the Dutch Waltz.

So those are basicly the moves that an Ice-Dance coach uses to check you out on what your able to do?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer No, a coach will probably want to see your basic stroking and edges first. Then she might ask to see moves like progressives and swing rolls. But if she thinks you need to have stronger basic skills, she might work on those with you first, even if you know how to do other things.

Skittl1321

FSWer, based on what you have posted in the past the coach will probably start by working on forward skating/stroking, swizzles, gliding on two feet and one foot in both straight lines, and on curves (using your edges), and stopping. Then you will probably work on crossovers. You could ask her to partner you while working on gliding and stroking as a dance skill.

Although they are not needed for the first dances she might want to see if you can skate backwards or turn on two feet or one foot while moving.

Swing rolls and progressives are part of the first test dance (the Dutch waltz) but these are advanced moves. It may be awhile before you can perform them.

FSWer

Ok everyone. I little update here,and I hope you can all help me. I just got off the phone with the Girl who was going to my coach,and found out that she will be moving to Europe soon,and will not be able to coach me. So,I called another coach. But could not get through. As his mailbox was full. Also the other coach that was recamended to me (by the coach my Case-Worker and I talked with) doesn't teach Ice-Dancing. So,if anyone here if famillar with Newington Arena here in CT. Does anyone know of a coach I have not tried? Thanks.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer You or your case worker could ask the coach you talked with. That coach might be able to recommend someone else. You could also ask the coach you talked with to give you lessons in basic skills (like edges and stroking) that will help you in ice dancing later on.

FSWer

I just e-mailed my Case-Worker and the Coach. I hope something can be worked out.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer I hope so too. Even if you can't find a coach that teaches ice dancing - you can learn a lot from a coach who will work with you on developing strong basic skills, and any good coach should be able to do that. So don't give up if you can't find an ice dancing coach. Finding a coach to get you started might be more important at this point.

Shyjosie

Overedge is right, FSWer; the best coach is the one who is dedicated to their job and makes you enjoy your lesson and takes you serious. While learning the basics it's anyways all the same in either ice dancing and free style and moves-in-the-field, as it's all about edges, posture, developing skills.
I'm sorry to hear that the coach you've been waiting to get to train with for so long will be leaving. But as long as there's a club with coaches available, there's a way to get you started, I'm sure. I keep my fingers crossed that you can have your first lesson as soon as possible and that you get along well with your coach. Everything else will fall into place, you'll see.

FSWer

Is there anyone else here that has connections with my Rink (Newington Arena) that can hook me up with somebody there?

Sylvia

TBD
FSWer, are there any other rinks in the area you can skate at or is Newington the only one you can go to?

FSWer

I just e-mailed the coach my Case-Worker and I talked with,to see if he knows of anyone else he can recomemend. Or if we can work something out with him. As so far my Case-Worker has said (and I agree) is that I've just been playing Phone Tag. Has this happened t anyone else here?

Skittl1321

I've played phone tag with a coach to get lessons set up, but you seem to be having exceptionally bad luck.

Have you thought about joining a learn to skate group class? Just to get back on the ice and build your skills until you can start dance lessons?

Skittl1321

I DID take them once back in 2007

At my rink there are group classes in learn to skate all the way up to learning to do an Axel. (And then you can be approved for even higher level group classes for certain skills) So whatever level you skate at, you just take the next level class. If you joined the adult class the coach taught whatever skill the class wanted to work on based on their abilities. since it has been almost 10 years you may want to take a class again to refresh the skills.

What level did you pass when you did your class?

Clarice

This is interesting. I copied the text below from the web site for Newington Ice Arena, which is FSWer's rink. They have an interesting way of offering their classes. Most places I know have you sign up for a session of classes, maybe 8 weeks. But here it's all walk-in. Apparently you pay for a certain number of classes, but you can take them when you want, sort of like a freestyle punch card. That means if you have to miss a week, you're not losing any money - you still get to take all the classes you paid for.

FSWer, I think you should consider taking group class again if you can. Then at least you'd be practicing your skating skills while your case worker tries to work something out with a coach.

Skate School & Beginner Classes

The ONLY walk-in friendly skating school in Connecticut!

SKATING LESSONS YEAR-ROUND!
ROLLING ADMISSION

Suggested ages for classes: 3yrs to Adult

What to BRING TO CLASS:

Gloves (knit is fine)
Helmet (any sort will do — bike/ski/hockey/etc.)Skates (single blade) OR you may Rent Skates

TheGirlCanSkate

I think Clarice has an excellent suggestion. If you take group lessons, they are really flexible. You can also meet coaches in the classes, maybe one would work well with you as a private coach. And you won't lose more learning time, it's been 8th months for you to find a coach, this way you can keep skating and improving while you look for a coach.

Skittl1321

I think Clarice has an excellent suggestion. If you take group lessons, they are really flexible. You can also meet coaches in the classes, maybe one would work well with you as a private coach. And you won't lose more learning time, it's been 8th months for you to find a coach, this way you can keep skating and improving while you look for a coach.

That's a really good point about a coach. It is often easier to get into lessons with a coach when they know you.

And the group lessons look incredibly flexible. That's really nice.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer it's very common to play phone tag, or email tag, with a coach. They are very busy people and many coaches work at more than one rink, so they might be travelling all over the place and don't always have time to answer messages right away.

Please look at @Clarice 's post. Newington has a great learn-to-skate program that is very flexible. Those classes would be great for you to work on your basic skills, if you can't get ice dance lessons with a coach right away. And @TheGirlCanSkate is right in saying that you might be able to meet a coach there that could give you private lessons, or a coach that could hook you up with another coach.

If you wait until you have a private coach to start your lessons, you might be waiting for a while. But if you are able to take the learn-to-skate classes at Newington, you could start skating much sooner. It wouldn't be ice-dance lessons, but as @Shyjosie says, the basic skills of skating are the same no matter what discipline you are doing. So you would be learning things that you could use in ice dancing.

Skittl1321

Keep in mind too that a private coach is going to work on many of those basic skills with you, but at a much higher price. If your budget is limited, the group lessons are even more important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information