Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

D

Deleted member 40371

Kerber lead 5-2 in the third set.
ETA: Serena strikes back, score is 5-4 now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lorac

:encore::cheer: Way to go Angelique Kerber. I did not think she could do it but she stood toe to toe with Serena and what a win.

Last edited:

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Angelique Kerber defeats Sterena Williams 6-4, 3-6, 6-4

:cheer2::biggrinbo:cheer2::biggrinbo:cheer2:

Angelique, you are the best - magnificent!!!

twinsissv

Well, Serena, I really like the golden yellow dress...anyway.
Congratulations to Angelique! :cheer2: I love that German flag...it's gorgeous!

Lorac

Fabulous :cheer2:

Congratulations!!

Serena was very gracious :)

She was wasn't she - that was nice to see. I do wonder if losing the first major of the year will help her relax as no one can start going on about the 4 slams in the year. I still see her as the favourite going forwards so could still equal/beat Stefi's record and depending if she wins the next 3 gets equal with Margaret Court. Whatever she is one of the GOATs and we should just enjoy the ride as we have no idea how long it will go on for.

Anyway regardless Angelique showed that hard work does pay off and always force your opponent to play another shot - she was getting shots back to Serena that many others would have given up on - not Angie - she just kept running down shots and forcing Serena to go for more and it worked.

Rottie

Kerber was amazing! How great for her to win a Slam, and her ranking rises to No. 2! Just goes to show, that's why you actually play the match.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Haven't watched much tennis this time round (other stuff going on) but I did watch the final last night. But I had to keep changing over to Anchorman because I was barracking for Kerber and I didn't want to see her start losing to Serena. In the end it was all good and a great tennis match.

OnyxRose81

Wasn't the best match at all but I'll take it. Congrats to Novak-ties Borg and Laver with 11 slams each.

I really hope he can win the FO this year but watch someone like Monfils come in and swoop it away.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Djokovic has been amazing. He could eventually surpass Sampras in GS titles. He may even win the grand slam some day.

OwenEvans

Noooooooooooooooo! The beginning of the end :(

Yes, I think so. His body is starting to go. That's why these type of injuries happen. It's incredible he's playing such high quality tennis at his age. Serena, too.

Navratilova and Rosewall are still the gold standards for longevity. She got her last wins over Seles and Graf (then No 1 and 2) when she was 36 years old. And, if I remember correctly, in both instances indoors on slow carpet! She was a few months shy of 38 when she reached her last Wimbledon final. And, of course, won her last grand slam title (US Open Mixed in '06) a month short of 50!

Rosewall won the US Open at 35, the Australian Open at 37 and reached both the Wimbledon and US Open finals at 39. He was still winning tournaments into his 40s!

Last edited:

oleada

I hope it's not the beginning of the end, but Roger's been lucky with injuries up until this point. He's certainly getting older :(

In other news, Angelique Kerber let it slip that Ana Ivanovic and Bastian Schweinsteiger are getting married, and Caroline Wozniacki got selected as Denmark's flag bearer for the Olympics.

Loves_Shizuka

It really is amazing hot relatively uninjured Roger has been for such a long and successful career. His style of play and game is perhaps very easy on the body, in total contrast to Nadal.

Maybe the break generally will do him good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information