Tokyo 2020 Emblem Unveiled

D

Deleted member 40371

After watching the emblems of both Olympics and Paralympics side-by-side, I was expecting a ? in the next square, asking us to predict the next pattern, like in the inductive reasoning tests.

I think they could have done a lot better... I believe they were too conservative with the emblems is my opinion.

MsZem

I see the sea
The emblem they've used for bidding was x100 better!
I don't understand why they ditched that one. :revenge: :angryfire
The cherry blossom motif emblem was perfect.
True, but it's still vastly preferable to London 2012, which had aggressively ugly design for the emblem and just about everything else. At least Tokyo 2020 isn't ugly - just a bit dull. Which suggests that there will be less hot pink, ugly fonts and other travesties in five years' time.

Clay

Who is the coach? Everywhere! Everybodeee!
Bid logos are almost always better than the final design. I think they are required to change them. Lillehammer, Barcelona and Albertville only made small changes, so I'm not sure of the specific requirement. I think the last one I really liked was Turino 2006 or maybe Vancouver 2010.

Regarding the Tokyo mark, I find the look and feel similar to the Oslo 2022 bid logo, which I thought was even better.

Vagabond

I guess we're never going to see anything like this again any time soon, though I'd be interested to see what would happen if we did.

I suppose it would make the rhythmic gymnastics events more popular in certain quarters. :shuffle:

D

Deleted member 40371

Smart decision, I hope they come up with a better design than this one.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
I did not like the original logo, so I am glad they will have to come up with a new one.

Come on, the Nagano one was beautiful! you can do it Nipon!

millyskate

If it's not broken why fix it? For both London and Tokyo, the logos used for the bid were nice. No need to come up with a new one :)

D

Deleted member 40371

If it's not broken why fix it? For both London and Tokyo, the logos used for the bid were nice. No need to come up with a new one :)
Too much money to spend I guess is the answer to that question.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

I believe there is a stipulation in the contract to host the Games that they cannot use the same one as for the bid.

Sylvia

TBD
I believe there is a stipulation in the contract to host the Games that they cannot use the same one as for the bid.
I was wondering about this - according to this Japan Times article:
According to IOC rules, the official Olympic emblem for each games must be produced by the Olympic organizing committee from scratch and thus bidding logos cannot be recycled, said Yasuhiko Tanabe, a spokesman for the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee.

In addition, the official emblem for the sports extravaganza must be kept secret until an official unveiling ceremony, meaning neither the 1964 Olympic emblem nor the bidding logo can be recycled as official emblems for the 2020 Games.

D

Deleted member 40371

Personal opinion, I vastly preferred London to this. Sad ...

Ageless

This one is a little drab. The pattern is fine, but I wish it had some color. The original cherry blossom emblem was pretty.

Lorac

Personal opinion, I vastly preferred London to this. Sad ...

Me too - it actually grew on me as we got closer to the games.

This one is a little drab. The pattern is fine, but I wish it had some color. The original cherry blossom emblem was pretty.

Agreed - it lacks colour and impact. I know the London one had mixed views but it had colour and an impact.

MsZem

I see the sea
Like Meoima and Ageless, I wish the Tokyo emblem had incorporated color into the design. The pattern is nice, but it could use more visual interest. But I much prefer a relatively subtle emblem to the aggressively ugly design for London 2012.

tamms

The logo screams classic and traditional. It's not bad. A lot of the ichimatsu patterns I've seen are in dark colors. I think they could leave that as is but put "Tokyo 2020" in a different color.

VGThuy

I preferred the original cherry blossom emblem when they were applying for the games. This one isn't bad, but it's just there. It'll probably grow on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information