Volosozhar/Trankov - Cheer Thread!

AnaBM

Wohooo, I cannot wait for these two to come back! They have been my favorites from the beginning! And it will be super interesting along with Canadians and Chinese!

btw, if I may contribute, my post about their comeback :)

Volosozhar and Trankov look forward to come back in September
http://www.ifigureskating.com/volosozhar-and-trankov-look-forward-to-come-back-in-september/
Completely agree with you cocovica. They've been my favorites from the beginning too (or well... since I got into figure skating :p). And thanks a lot for the link to the article, I already leave a comment.

Amantide

Morozov did Masquerade Waltz which is IMO probably the second best pairs SP of all time, after B&S' La Califfa, so he's capable, and I don't know why he mostly doesn't create anything special.

I think the merit for their SP goes to a women choreographer they work, can't remember the name now. I think she did Masquerade, mostly anyway. But yes, I agree that he can be much better than some of his programs.

I was actually more worried for the SP. I've listened the song and watch the movie lots of times and I loved it :biggrinbo I'm just a bit worried for the 'cultural apropiation' and how they will make work such a 'dancable' theme? But with your comments Amantide I'm much calmer (and excited) now.Is gonna be a long wait till we see their programs :(.

Keep in mind that my friend thinks D&W Scheherazade was a great program and I don't. :p So I don't know how accurate she might be. :D

I think the music it's great for a program, but I hope they will not use the lyrics.

p.s. In their wikipedia Morozov is listed as Former choreographer. :watch:

Last edited:

Cherub721

YEAH!
I can see Max really going all out with the energy in this piece. Tatiana is so elegant and somewhat reserved... I would like to see her really go crazy too.

AnaBM

I think the merit for their SP goes to a women choreographer they work, can't remember the name now. I think she did Masquerade, mostly anyway. But yes, I agree that he can be much better than some of his programs.
It was Alla Kapranova, she is listed in their ISU biography as current choreographer and according to this interview, it was Morozov who made the sketch of the programs but she was the one who work with them (IMO sometimes to make it fit properly to the skaters is harder than design it so thumbs up for her cause she did it amazing ;)).
Keep in mind that my friend thinks D&W Scheherazade was a great program and I don't. :p So I don't know how accurate she might be. :D
Well I didn't really loved D&W Scheherazade but mainly because I'm not a huge fan of them :rolleyes: though I do recognize there are some good parts on it so I'll hope the best.
p.s. In their wikipedia Morozov is listed as Former choreographer. :watch:
Good God I hope so! Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Morozov, but I really want to see V/T with new and different choreography.
And IIRC Maxim said in a interview not so long ago that lyrics were good as long as they weren't over used during all the program cause that could distract, so I guess if they chose to put them in the SP it won't be so massive like listen POTO for 4 straight minutes :lol: (really I'll never get over this season).

clairecloutier

It was Alla Kapranova, she is listed in their ISU biography as current choreographer and according to this interview, it was Morozov who made the sketch of the programs but she was the one who work with them (IMO sometimes to make it fit properly to the skaters is harder than design it so thumbs up for her cause she did it amazing ;)).

Just to clarify--the article you linked to is about V/T's 2013-14 Olympic programs, not this year's programs. However, they may have used the same choreographic process for the current programs.

The article says, in regard to the 2013-14 programs: "Both programs were mounted by Nikolai Morozov and the team continues to work on them with choreographer Alla Kapranova."

To me, that sentence implies that Morozov did the original choreography, while Kapranova works with them on polishing the details. If Morozov isn't doing the majority of the choreography, I'm not sure what his contribution is.

Cachoo

I love the idea of Indian music for the SP. I do get tired of hearing some of the same music over and over again. I liked what Davis/White did with Indian music. This has an even more exotic feel and I'd love to see what they do with it.

lala

I love the idea of Indian music for the SP. I do get tired of hearing some of the same music over and over again. I liked what Davis/White did with Indian music. This has an even more exotic feel and I'd love to see what they do with it.

I don't understand they chose the music from India or that is a music of North-American native people. In Europe we call the native people "indian".

Cherub721

YEAH!
I don't understand they chose the music from India or that is a music of North-American native people. In Europe we call the native people "indian".

In North America, we also call both groups "Indian." Their music is from the country of India.

Xela M

I don't know what to think about it. It has the potential to be both brilliant and a complete disaster. The more important thing for me is that V&T upgrade to a quad twist and get all their amazing elements back. D&R at the top for one more season makes me physically sick, so I'm really counting on V&T here

AnaBM

Just to clarify--the article you linked to is about V/T's 2013-14 Olympic programs, not this year's programs. However, they may have used the same choreographic process for the current programs.

The article says, in regard to the 2013-14 programs: "Both programs were mounted by Nikolai Morozov and the team continues to work on them with choreographer Alla Kapranova."

To me, that sentence implies that Morozov did the original choreography, while Kapranova works with them on polishing the details. If Morozov isn't doing the majority of the choreography, I'm not sure what his contribution is.
I do was talking about the 2013-14 programs, specifically about Masquerade. Sorry haven't expressed clearly :)

kinoriH

I don't know what to think about it. It has the potential to be both brilliant and a complete disaster. The more important thing for me is that V&T upgrade to a quad twist and get all their amazing elements back. D&R at the top for one more season makes me physically sick, so I'm really counting on V&T here

you know, as much as i do think like you, i have this weird feeling that neither V/T or D/R will be on top again. :(

to me it seems like this era belongs to the chinese and Tarasova/Morozov...

Amantide

There was a link which I can't find anymore and she was listed as the choreographer for Masquerade SP, only. Morozov can do good choreo but it has been a long time ago. That SP doesn't look as his program to me, despite what V&T might say about it. He may've had the idea though.

In North America, we also call both groups "Indian." Their music is from the country of India.

In Europe as well, at least in Italy. They usually do specify "indiani americani" (USA) and "indiani" from India.

AnaBM

What is objectionable in a name that means fire bird?
I think Volosozhar is prettier, or well not prettier but very original :). It seems not common even in Russia, and who wouldn't like to keep a last name that means fire bird (is that true :eek:?).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

The Chinese (most probably Sui-Han) could beat out D&R next season. Of course I very much prefer seeing V&T on top.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I think Volosozhar is prettier, or well not prettier but very original :). It seems not common even in Russia, and who wouldn't like to keep a last name that means fire bird (is that true :eek:?).
It means rather something like "burning hair"^^

Finnice

Why wouldn't she want to keep her old name. Your name is your identity, and i csn understand why she feels the need to keep it.
Maybe he could take her name.:soapbox:

I don´t know if Russian law allows that (husband taking wife´s surname), but I always get irritated when people assume that women can´t keep their own names and identity.

That said, I am :cheer2:about their comeback. I just hope they will have some :kickass: programs next season, a la Masquerade Valse.

borzaya

Yes, this name is not common - though, in fact, both their surnames are rather rare. To be honest, I have never heard of anybody else having such names yet, neither among famous people, nor among common people (and I sometimes have to deal with large lists of names at work!). But the name Volosozhar is also a very unusual one, and yes, it means smth like "flaming hair" (would suit her perfectly if she were red-haired:lol:)
I strongly hope, too, that she will keep it - it's so lovely to hear both their names together!

Amantide

Very few things can spoil Trankov's amazing good looks, but I think that beard is getting awfully close :yikes:

Most probably yes. :D But here, in this picture, is very much into the role and I like it. Fedor's beard on the other hand is worse. (n)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information