Joshua Farris: Not Allergic To Gold - the Uber thread!

Skittl1321

Sorry to highjack this thread, but I think all of these three will get GPs on their own, and I'd prefer that USFS allocate two of their spots to skaters who would not otherwise get a GP gig, like Doug Razzano, who placed 6th at nationals.

Jason is only guaranteed 1 though (not to mention that he'd be a huge ticket seller in Chicago). USFS almost always uses 2 spots for high ranking skaters (e.g., Max and Jeremy last year) and then their host pick is someone lower ranked who wouldn't be on the GP otherwise. (They might actually have to do it that way)

Edit: Oh, I remembered wrong, it wasn't Jeremy last year- it was Adam. But still, those three are all fairly big names (though Jason wasn't last year at SA, he was new)

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Sorry to highjack this thread, but I think all of these three will get GPs on their own, and I'd prefer that USFS allocate two of their spots to skaters who would not otherwise get a GP gig, like Doug Razzano, who placed 6th at nationals.

But on topic, I love Josh and was really impressed by how well he took to the lead role in the SOI "Walker" number. He's poised for the podium.

I'd like to see them hold just one spot at the GP for a lower-ranked skater. They could also give some of those guys spots at the Senior B in SLC. Or give Josh one of the SLC spots. I'm just selfishly campaigning to have him at a competition I'm attending. ;):lol:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'd love to see all three of Max, Josh and Jason at Skate America - woohoo, Golden Trio! - but it would never happen. The USFSA would not want to put all three head-to-head at that point in the season. They want that showdown to wait until GPF at least, Nats more likely. Jason is pretty much guaranteed Skate America since it's in Chicago and he IS men's figure skating in America at this point (if they don't give him SkAm then someone at the USFSA has rocks in their head).

They MIGHT give either Max or Josh SkAm as well but I find it far more likely those three will be split up. Jason was only at Skate America last year because Lysacek withdrew, so his matchup with Max there was purely accidental (though it was unexpected just how well Jason would match with them).

I think Josh might end up at Skate Canada again. I hope he gets NHK like he wants though that can be a really brutal competition.

And TanithandBenFan, Josh was at SLC last year, so maybe he will get to go again! ;)

TanithandBenFan

Josh's bio on Icenetwork has been updated:

SP Music: "Give Me Love" by Ed Sheeran
FS Music: Music from Schindler's List by John Williams

Loooooovvvvvveeeeeee the SP choice. :swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

TanithandBenFan

Well, I'm glad someone does, because I HATE it.

I'm sooooooooooo disappointed and wondering where "happy and upbeat" went. :(

It's not snap-happy, but I like that it's modern and has a warm feeling to it. I have a really good feeling about it. :)

laire

It's so hard for me to get used to the lyrics in programs, I watch this and keep thinking it's an exhibition. I need more time.

misskarne

Changed your mind about the program I see. ;)

About the program, yes, about the song, no :p

This is going to be like Jason's Prince: a "love-the-skating-hate-the-song" scenario. At least Josh is better dressed than Jason was for Prince.

Jammers

Josh has all the talent to be US champion but he needs to start improving and take the bull by the horns and take charge. Funny how he landed quads as a Junior but hasn't landed one since he became a Senior skater.

Sylvia

TBD
Farris originally was scheduled to compete at the Skate Canada Autumn Classic (Senior B/Challenger series) next month, but he is now listed as a sub. Based on his lack of jumps at Harvard's Jimmy Fund show, he is likely recovering from an injury.

From the "An Evening with Champions" show thread in GSD:
Also TanithandBenFan asked me to tape Josh again so here's his Saturday performance http://youtu.be/sT0SgNvjh74

TanithandBenFan

From Icenetwork's article on the EWC show:

Josh Farris also skated his new short program, choreographed by Jeff Buttle, to Ed Sheeran's "Give Me Love." He has just recovered from two different ankle sprains suffered in the past six weeks and toned down the jumps a bit. The program, however, is lovely, both delicate and powerful, and delivered with pathos. He says he'll be ready for his first Grand Prix event in China.

"I just started doing triple Axels again at the end of last week, so I'm a little undertrained," Farris said. "But I'm not stressing; I have plenty of time before my Grand Prix. I'm going to come back stronger."

misskarne

Argh, cut him a break, universe!

I'm glad he's not rushing things, though. :)

misskarne

My photos from morning practice and video of Josh's SP run-through at practice last night: http://jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com/2015/01/2015-us-nationals-wed-thurs-events.html

He kept it short and sweet at practice, but everything is looking very crisp and clean :)

Fantastic pictures! And I especially love the one of him in the upside-down-catch-foot-impossible position.

I was just looking at the videos of the runthroughs - have they taken out the quad? It looks like the jump layout is now 3A, 3F-3T, and 3Lz.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Probably not a bad idea considering Josh has landed the quad in competition only once. I'm all for him trying it in the FS, but he has done well at Nationals the past 2 seasons without a quad in the SP. If he can skate clean without the quad in the SP he should still have a decent chance to make the final warmup group.

I would just like to see Josh make the 4CCs team so he can have a chance to get a SB score high enough for the GP next season. It would be sad to see a skater of his calliber have to qualify through Sectionals.

TanithandBenFan

Fantastic pictures! And I especially love the one of him in the upside-down-catch-foot-impossible position.

I was just looking at the videos of the runthroughs - have they taken out the quad? It looks like the jump layout is now 3A, 3F-3T, and 3Lz.

Yes so no quad in the SP.

OnyxRose81

Beautiful skate from Josh. Here's hoping he can hang on for the long and put himself in the position to get on the World's team. Ultimately, I just want him to show everyone what he can do.

museksk8r

Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy
I definitely saw a lot of Jeff Buttle's influence in Josh's skating in the SP. Farris's skating skills have improved tremendously in the last year. His spinning was also stellar in this program. He also really turned it a notch up emotionally here. It goes to show that if you work on other areas of your skating and take them seriously, aside from focusing only on jumps, it does pay dividends. It's the complete package that viewers appreciate most. Absolutely wonderful, Josh!!! :encore::swoon::cheer2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information