Recent content by vodkashot

1. V

Unpopular Opinions

I was absolutely thrilled when Stellato/Deschamps won Worlds this year, but it's entirely because of Deanna's (amazing!) narrative rather than Stellato/Deschamp's actual skating, which I find notably lacking in flow, effortlessness and artistry. Everything looks like hard work with them.
  2. V

What if Russia were at 2024 Worlds

I 100% support the ban on Russian skaters right now, but it's weirdly revisionist to pretend that figure skating without Russians is some sort of sublime paradise of good cheer, friendship and artistry . . . For example, do Fear/Gibson's programs demonstrate actual artistic vision rather than...
  3. V

Defector.com article on female skaters & Quads

Where did you get the information that Isabeau is from a "disadvantaged background"? If you Google her mother's name, it looks like she's an embryologist. Yeah, not a billionaire, but hardly "disadvantaged" ....
  4. V

Skaters who 'own the ice'?

Yuzuru Hanyu. I was at 2017 Worlds in Helsinki, and it was there I truly understood why so many people are obsessed with him...he was absolutely electrifying, with effortless jumps, big sweeping skating, and confidence and charisma oozing out of every pore.
  5. V

No PDAs for Zagitova

Are people actually criticizing Zagitova for not being sufficiently touchy-feely with fans, when we all saw how Kostornaia was publicly molested by a creepy stalker earlier this season? It's not surprising that Zagitova (or any skater) would be careful with fans.
  6. V

What Program Have You Rewatched the Most?

6.0 Programs: Alexander Abt, 2002 Euros LP (Rach No. 2 and 3) Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, 2002 Olympics SP (Lady Caliph) Mishkutenok/Dmitriev, 1994 Olympics LP (Rach No. 2) Michelle Kwan, 2005 US Nationals SP (Spartacus) IJS Programs: Stephane Lambiel, 2007 Worlds (Poeta) Yuzuru Hanyu, 2012...
  7. V

The Skating Lesson 2018/2019

It's a common sexist trope to attribute a woman's professional success and accomplishments to her attractiveness. For example, see here: The Good, Bad and Ugly Ways Benevolent Sexism Plays Out in the Workplace
  8. V

The Unbeatables (?)

I don't view Nathan Chen as "unbeatable," because a clean Yuzuru Hanyu would almost certainly beat a clean Nathan Chen. While it is true that Nathan has a higher BV than Yuzuru, Yuzuru's higher GOE and PCS would more than make up the deficit.
  9. V

Are we spending enough time to mentally prepare our athletes?

Not sure what offends me more: the blatant sexism in the above post by OP, or the blatant disregard of facts displayed by OP throughout this entire thread.
  10. V

Should Eteri be called "The Madame" at this point?

Whoa, really? To me, the whole EX seems totally out of Eteri's wheelhouse given her obsession with packaging her skaters as little girls. I think my point still stands, though--besides Alina's cringe-y EX, is there any other instance of Eteri sexualizing children to warrant such a loaded...
  11. V

Should Eteri be called "The Madame" at this point?

Eteri sexualizing children? Seriously...? Besides Zagitova's awful tiger/catsuit EX this season, I can't think of a single instance of Eteri's students ever being presented in a sexual manner. Lipnitskaya under Eteri was always packaged as a little girl (e.g. the little girl in the red dress...
  12. V

Montreal Wins Skate Canada's Bid for 2020 Worlds

In lieu of hotels, maybe the fans could stay in one of Kingston's many prisons . . .
Do Not Sell My Personal Information