Recent content by nerdycool

1. nerdycool

Genealogy research

Yeah, genealogy can be expensive if you aren't careful. I guess one just has to be okay with the fact that once you get to a certain point in your research, it's nearly impossible to get any further without paying someone or physically traveling to another location. Of course, one could network...
  2. nerdycool

Genealogy research

I personally would file under maiden name, mostly because that's how my ancestry stuff is input on the computer. If it's a paper file and you think you might be confused at a later date by putting it in the maiden name file, you could add a little note stating the married name and husband's...
  3. nerdycool

Genealogy research

I guess I deal with paper as little as possible, so I can't help you too much. Usually when I have access to a scanner, I'll scan in everything I have so that everything is electronic. I'll keep the official stuff, but other info that's just printed off the internet, I'll toss. All my e-files...
  4. nerdycool

Genealogy research

Yep, I know. A pain in the butt, but exciting at the same time.
  5. nerdycool

Genealogy research

For my birthday gift, my husband is getting me a 6-month subscription to Ancestry just in time for the 1940 census release! :) Just thought I'd share.
  6. nerdycool

Genealogy research

If your family lived in that area prior to Ohio and Indiana gaining statehood, you could try looking for records in the Northwest Territory (no, not the Canadian province).
  7. nerdycool

Genealogy research

I don't know about a city in Germany names Luxembourg, but there IS a province in Belgium named Luxembourg (but no city AFAIK). It's right on the border with the country of Luxembourg. Wikipedia says For the German connection, I know that it was occupied by Germany a few times during WWI &...
  8. nerdycool

Genealogy research

I'd be interested to see what the 1900 census says... this particular census year lists the month and year of birth for every individual. This is the only census so far that gives that much information about age, and it's super helpful, because as it's been noted, just giving an age leaves a lot...
  9. nerdycool

Genealogy research

Yeah, the Norwegian way of doing names drives me up the wall. My part of the family used the surname from wherever they lived... and they moved quite a bit, so it's super hard to trace if you don't know where they were before. Luckily, once they came to America, most of them kept the name of the...
  10. nerdycool

Genealogy research

This is a good point. I have found many family connections this very way. My maternal grandfather grew up during the Depression. His father died suddenly right as it was starting, leaving behind 5 children and a wife. My great-grandmother was forced to send her eldest 3 children to live with...
  11. nerdycool

Genealogy research

Well, it'll help if you know when your grandpa got married, or the name of at least one of his siblings. Who the person lived with is a great help when you have multiple people you're looking at. For instance, if you know that one of your grandpa's sisters' name was Ethel, then there is a...
Do Not Sell My Personal Information