All Thing PBS

skatesindreams

"The Crimson Field" has been cancelled in the UK; so there will be only one series of episodes.
The creator/writer said that she had already planned more.

tamuno

Whaaaa...............? will PBS still air it? Indian Summers is awful. It's not doing so well in the ratings in the UK. I've seen some of it.

Artemis@BC

Anyone else watch part 1 of Wolf Hall last night? I thought it was spectacular on ever level -- acting, writing, production values. I can't wait for the rest of the series.

dardar1126

Anyone else watch part 1 of Wolf Hall last night? I thought it was spectacular on ever level -- acting, writing, production values. I can't wait for the rest of the series.

Excellent show...stellar cast...amazing locations...the use of natural lighting...very real, very authentic...love it...can't wait for more! :fan:

EDIT:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/recap/wolf-hall-s1-e1-15-essentials/

Recap: 15 Essentials of Episode 1
If you could use some help managing Wolf Hall's complex machinations and maneuvers, revisit 15 key moments from Episode 1: Three Card Trick. Clear up questions about timelines and Thomases, note allies and enemies to watch, and accompany characters to seats of power…and exile.

Last edited:

Oreo

Whaaaa...............? will PBS still air it? Indian Summers is awful. It's not doing so well in the ratings in the UK. I've seen some of it.
I watched the first part of this and found it hard to care about the characters. It's a pity because I love stories set in the time of the Raj. I'll give it another chance when it comes to US television.

Latte

As a civil war buff, I loved the Civil War series by Ken Burns. I have watched it several times. And I will be watching it again. It's just wonderful.

Spun Silver

My husband has watched that about 100 times. Last year for Christmas his daughter gave him a DVD set of it to replace his ancient video set. If you ever want a penpal about that and the Civil War in general, just PM me for his email address. :)

skatesindreams

Very few programs have had such a profound effect on so many viewers.
Every time I watch it, I learn something new

A.H.Black

Watched the first episode online today. Cromwell as hero? Interesting.

Concerning dress of the day. Does anyone know why the fashion was to make men look so wide? I get the shorter robes - for convenience and ease of movement, I suppose. The styles for the women were much more flattering and attractive. Also, what's with the removing the hat from the back forward.

dardar1126

Facebook:

PBS
24 mins ·

Ballroom is back! From the producer who first brought the magic of competitive ballroom dancing to public television, this series features all four major styles of competitive ballroom dancing: American Smooth, American Rhythm, International Standard and International Latin. Watch AMERICA’S BALLROOM CHALLENGE on Fridays starting April 24 at 9/8c.

Skate Talker

Just watched my pvr'd The Scapegoat with Matthew Rhys and enjoyed it very much. I first became acquainted with his versatility in The Americans. Does he ever play only one character LOL.

dardar1126

Facebook:

PBS
44 mins ·
THE DAY THE '60s DIED remembers Kent State and offers a new perspective from students, soldiers and statesmen on the incident and the actions that followed.

The new documentary premieres Tuesday, April 28 at 8/7c on PBS as part of a special programming block commemorating the Vietnam War.‪#‎VietnamPBS‬

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Just watched my pvr'd The Scapegoat with Matthew Rhys and enjoyed it very much. I first became acquainted with his versatility in The Americans. Does he ever play only one character LOL.

I need to see that. I really liked the book and the older film adaptation.

dardar1126

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/news/masterpiece-options-signature-all-things/

News: MASTERPIECE Options The Signature of All Things

MASTERPIECE on PBS Options The Signature of All Things
Elizabeth Gilbert's Best-Selling Novel to be Adapted for Television

The Signature of All Things, the best-selling novel by Eat Pray Love author Elizabeth Gilbert, has been optioned for television by MASTERPIECE on PBS.

The Signature of All Things is Elizabeth Gilbert's most ambitious and exploratory book yet, and it was also one of the best reviewed novels of 2013. Inspired by the true-life adventures of real 19th century female botanical explorers, Gilbert created an unforgettable character in Alma Whittaker — a brilliant, determined, and thoroughly scientific woman, struggling to express her intellectual curiosity in a society where women's lives are confined to the domestic sphere. Equal parts Elizabeth Bennet and Charles Darwin, Alma spends her days seeking nothing less than the answers to the origins of life itself. Readers all over the world fell in love with this unique character — the rare heroine of literature whose fortunes are neither rescued nor ruined by a man.

A.H.Black

I see that The Roosevelts will be repeated in May. Starts here on May 5th. I missed the beginning the first time around so I will want to see it. I liked the programs about Teddy Roosevelt a lot.

vesperholly

Weird airdate for the Kent State piece since May 4 is the next Monday. I should watch it - I'm an alumni!

When is PBS airing Poldark? It's great. Aidan Turner :swoon: :smokin:

Icetalavista

Damien Lewis is wearing a codpiece? How in the heck did I miss THAT? ;-)
What I don't know about British history would fill an encyclopedia, but even I gather that Cromwell was ambitious and ruthless to a fault. But the way the story's written, I like the guy, even when I see him threaten to do away with the "bollocks" of some unfortunate enemy.

I also love the natural lighting. You had only the hours of daylight to get your business done, and then it was pitch-black.

Anne Boleyn is one aggressive piece of work!

dardar1126

I see that The Roosevelts will be repeated in May. Starts here on May 5th. I missed the beginning the first time around so I will want to see it. I liked the programs about Teddy Roosevelt a lot.

This is good news; I missed it the first time. :fan:

tamuno

American Ballroom Challenge was a flop for me. The International World Juniors I watched on YouTube had better dancing, I'm afraid. The choreos were not particularly interesting and couples were falling out of their lifts ............urgh! The couple that won the International Latin, I have no idea how or why they won and I did not see the difference between them and the first two couples that performed the rhumba as well. The whole thing felt like a documentary rather than a showcase of real competition. Well at least I have youtube. I was under the impression (I realized too late) that this was more an American competition than an International despite the foreign-sounding names. The dancers here just don't compare to their International counterparts. Sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information