All Thing PBS

Artemis@BC

Bumping this up to rave about The Bletchley Circle, which started last night. Did anyone else watch? I was prepared to love it because it combines two of my favourite topics: murder mysteries and the role of women in WWII. But it was even better than I expected. The look and feel of the era, plus of course the sociologial impact of post-war society for the women who'd played such pivitol roles during the war ... wow, great stuff. And the fact that it stars a couple of my favourite actors (Anna Maxwell and Julie Graham) was an added bonus.

I can hardly wait for next week!

(BTW I've given up on Mr Selfridge -- I love the premise, and using the store as a mirror for the events of the world at that time ... but the characters are just two-dimensional and Piven, who I've liked very much in the past, is just unwatchable in this role.

But I'm still loving Call the Midwife. :))

Last edited:

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
Hate "Call the Midwife" (but I hate girly drama and babies, so it is not aimed at me), like "Mr. Selfridge" (I admit, I'd be standing there agog at the 'Pavlova' window, too), and I loved "The Bletchley Circle." The superintendent's reaction cracked me up: "I don't want to ask you to violate the Official Secrets act right here in Scotland Yard, but it wasn't a clerical position, was it?" I'm not quite sure yet it's doing a very good job showing how their 'system' works exactly, but 'Sherlock' set the bar incredibly high for portraying the detecting thought process in a very visually-accessible way.

Cachoo

Bumping this up to rave about The Bletchley Circle, which started last night. Did anyone else watch? I was prepared to love it because it combines two of my favourite topics: murder mysteries and the role of women in WWII. But it was even better than I expected. The look and feel of the era, plus of course the sociologial impact of post-war society for the women who'd played such pivitol roles during the war ... wow, great stuff. And the fact that it stars a couple of my favourite actors (Anna Maxwell and Julie Graham) was an added bonus.

(BTW I've given up on Mr Selfridge -- I love the premise, and using the store as a mirror for the events of the world at that time ... but the characters are just two-dimensional and Piven, who I've liked very much in the past, is just unwatchable in this role.

I'm watching and am glad they didn't cast drop-dead gorgeous actresses in the roles and I like the story because it does show the frustration of being so intelligent and so undervalued during this time.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I used to watch PBS more often. . . when our TV would remember the channels after we turned it off (um, yeah--so it has to do the channel scan every.single.time. you turn on the TV). dd and I loved watching "Fetch." I love Geeky European Guy aka Rick Steves (my hometown boy), and Lonely Planet's Globetrekker series.

dardar1126

I really liked The Bletchley Circle...the ladies are fascinating and the murder mystery intriguing. Does anyone know if this will be an on-going series after these three episodes? :confused:

I don't love Mr. Selfridge, don't quite hate it...yet. I find Jeremy Piven's bombastic performance off-putting, and his storyline the least interesting. :yawn: Maybe it will be more interesting now that his character will be in a coma! :p I like the story of the shop girl Agnes and the waiter Victor. The story with Rose and the young artist is kind of interesting...just have that affair, girl! :drama:

I like Call the Midwife quite a bit. I have no children, and the idea of childbirth kind of freaks me out, but I like the diversity of the characters, and the look at 1950's London (my childhood years, but not in the UK).

EDIT: FYI...via Twitter...

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 5h
EP Rebecca Eaton memoir "Making Masterpiece" out in late October 2013. Details - http://bit.ly/ZEt3JV #DowntonPBS #SherlockPBS #MysteryPBS

EDIT2: I've watched PBS for decades. I love Masterpiece (Theater, in the old days) Classic and Contemporary, Masterpiece Mystery (Inspector Lewis, Miss Marple, Poirot, the late great Inspector Lynley series), SHERLOCK (LOVE IT!), Downton Abbey (ditto), misc. non-fiction documentaries and specials, LFLC, Live from the Met, music and dance specials.... And I like watching the Create and Q channels.

Last edited:

dardar1126

http://www.downtonabbeyaddicts.com/...t-54-below-season-4.html#.UXZhGsQesoo.twitter

CLICK LINK TO VIEW VIDEO - watch until very end for a missing character. This is a very fun video!

Monday, April 22, 2013
Downton Abbey at 54 Below - Season 4, Episode 1 Sneak Peek
Broadway Stars Come Together for Musical Spoof of Downton Abbey Season 4 Episode 1.

Tons of Broadway stars have come together to spoof Downton Abbey!

Julian Fellowes and the cast of Downton Abbey present a staged version of Series 4, Episode 1 at New York's prestigious 54 Below.

Directed by John Walton West, Music and Lyrics by Jason Michael Snow, Filmed and Edited by Gregg Monteith, Executive Producer - Kevin Duda, Written and Produced by John Walton West, Gregg Monteith, Jason Michael Snow, Kevin Duda, David McCall, Lisa Lambert and Simon Pearl

Starring: Julian Fellowes (Himself) COLIN MOCHRIE, Joanne Froggatt (Anna Smith) CHRISTINA BIANCO, Siobhan Finneran (Sarah O'Brien) JANE BLASS, Brendan Coyle (John Bates) RON BOHMER, Kevin Doyle (Joseph Molesley) JOHN BOLTON, Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary Crawley) CATHERINE CHARLEBOIS, Laura Carmichael (Lady Edith Crawley) ALISON CIMMET, Charles Edwards (Michael Gregson) LEWIS CLEALE, Jim Carter (Charles Carson) RICK CROM, Rob James-Collier (Thomas Barrow) MATT DOYLE, Shirley MacLaine (Martha Levinson) KATHY FITZGERALD, Phyllis Logan (Mrs. Hughes) RANDY GRAFF, Tom Cullen (Lord Anthony Gillingham) JEREMY JORDAN, Matt Milne (Alfred Nugent) MIKE KELTON, Lily James (Lady Rose MacClare) LEIGH ANN LARKIN, Elizabeth McGovern (Cora Crawley) CHRISTIANE NOLL, Jessica Brown Findlay (Lady Sybil Crawley) LAURA OSNES, Sophie McShera (Daisy Mason) JANE PFITSCH, Penelope Wilton (Isobel Crawley) TORY ROSS, Allen Leech (Tom Branson) BRIAN SEARS, Robert Bathurst (Sir Anthony Strallan) TONY SHELDON, Hugh Bonneville (Robert Crawley) CRAIG SCHULMAN, Dame Maggie Smith (Dowager Countess) JENNIFER SMITH, Kiri Te Kanawa (Opera Singer) ELIZABETH STANLEY, Lesley Nicol (Mrs. Patmore) MARY STOUT, Jazz Singer (Jack Ross) TONY TILLMAN, Downstairs Servants: ROSIE COLOSI NIKKA LANZARONE ADAM LENDERMON JESS PATTY NICK SPANGLER RYAN WORSING.

Wow! This really makes me want to see a Downton Abbey musical!

A.H.Black

Haven't seen the Bletchly Circle. I will look for it.

I don't like Selfridge, or Midwife well enough to stick with them. I'm very happy that my local station is showing "As Time Goes By" in the evenings again. It's a great wind down before bed.

dardar1126

I'm very happy that my local station is showing "As Time Goes By" in the evenings again. It's a great wind down before bed.

I loved this show! Our affiliate showed it for the longest time, then took it off about a year ago; hopefully they will eventually bring it back, start at the beginning and let it go again.

I also love Cranford and Return to Cranford (yay Judi!)...got the DVDs not too long ago.

skatesindreams

I adore PBS.
I've been grateful for all that it has brought into my life since it first appeared on my cable in 1964-65!
Including skating which I couldn't have seen without it.

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
This would probably be a board to ask on....I remember seeing on PBS a documentary about George Ballanchine. I came in late, and I cannot remember if it was "Great Performances" or "American Masters" or what series it was from, but it was a part of one of those PBS series about famous people/artists. Does anyone remember this show and know if it's available on DVD? I would love to see it again and see the whole thing.

dardar1126

This was on public TV...

http://www.amazon.com

Balanchine (2004)
George Balanchine (Actor) | Rated: NR | Format: DVD
4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (10 customer reviews)
List Price: $29.99
Price: $19.13 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $10.86 (36%)
Only 3 left in stock (more on the way).
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Editorial Reviews
Through rare archival footage, this program traces Balanchine's life from his youth at the Maryinsky Theater, to his creation of the New York City Ballet.

A review:

5.0 out of 5 stars Great archival footage! April 7, 2004
By A Customer
Format: DVD
I saw this documentary when it was on public television, and it was fabulous. I have read a lot about Balanchine and his dancers, and actually seeing them was amazing. There is even footage of Pavlova and Tanaquil LeClerq dancing in their prime. A definite must-see for ballet and Balanchine enthusiasts!

P.S. Check your local library, too; they often have DVDs (and videos) for patrons to borrow.

Last edited:

A.H.Black

I'm looking forward to Carousel this evening on Live From Lincoln Center.

John Cullum is singing and I love John Cullum's voice. Most people know him from Northern Exposure, but I loved his singing in 1776 and he was the original lead in On a Clear Day You Can See Forever.

skatesindreams

It was wonderful.
John Cullum was great. I cherish him as an actor/singer.
The production values were so high, even though this was done "in concert", that I appreciated Carousel anew.
I'll look forward to watching when it is repeated.

dardar1126

I taped Carousel; will watch it tonight...love the music!

P.S. Don't know about your PBS affiliate, but mine is re-airing this special Sunday afternoon (04/28).

EDIT: Via Twitter...

James Sims ‏@SimsJames 11h
Forgot to DVR tonight's @LiveFromLC broadcast of @NYPhil's Carousel? @PBS already has it streaming online. http://jsi.ms/14XpTWk #LFLC

Last edited:

merrywidow

Very good production. I, especially, loved Stephanie Blythe. I got chills when she began singing "You'll Never Walk Alone".

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I've been watching Mr. Selfridge, although I might have given it up a while ago if it hadn't become a sort of weekly ritual with some of my Facebook friends. Piven has exactly two expressions: smiling and not-smiling. :D

skatesindreams

I'm watching it; but, like many others, think that TBTB could have found a much better actor for the lead than Jeremy Piven.
Why did they think him suited for the role?

dardar1126

Twitter:

NY Philharmonic ‏@nyphil 21h
Miss #Carousel? @LiveFromLC not showing in your area? @PBS has got you covered: http://video.pbs.org/video/2364999751 … #LFLC

EDIT: Finally saw Carousel...WOW, loved this production! I agree that less is more...this spare production really put the focus on the characters and the music. I cried many times...just wonderful, wonderful singing.

Last edited:

dardar1126

I was right...Mr. Selfridge is a much more interesting show with Jeremy Piven in a coma! :p Unfortunately, he's out of the coma by the end of the episode, so....

Latte

I must be the only one who likes Mr. Selfridge.
I look forward to it every Sunday.

ioana

I must be the only one who likes Mr. Selfridge.
I look forward to it every Sunday.

Not at all; I really enjoyed it when it was on ITV. Started watching because Sam West was in it, but ended up enjoying some of the other story lines even more. Amanda Abbington for one is v. good in this.
Agree that Piven was't the best casting call, but eh well. Still thought the show was good in spite of it.

paskatefan

I missed Carousel this weekend :( , and heard that Kelli O'Hara is in it! I hoped it's re-aired soon. I definitely want to DVR this production.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information