The Carolina Kostner Thread

museksk8r

Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy
Carolina is the primary reason I even bother watching ladies' figure skating anymore. She is so special and regal. IMO, she has become the Svetlana Khorkina of figure skating. I find her so mesmerizing! My dream worlds podium would be: 1) Kostner, 2) Tuktamysheva, and 3) Osmond. I know, not a very likely result, but I must say I find those 3 to be the most interesting and exciting ladies to watch right now. Their personalities draw me in the most to their skating of all the current ladies. :)

jiggs

Congrats to Carolina on her 5th World medal! What a gutsy performance after her nose bleed ... when she was taking so long to take the ice I thought Oh my, this is not good! I was fearing another melt down from her. But she has become such a great competitor after all these years (who would have thought!) and did really well. Shame about the fall in the end but still she really shut up her critics from last year by upgrading her jump content and showing a 3lz and 3f3t here.

Believe it or not, this is Carolina's 20th podium finish in a row, she has never been off the podium for the last 3 seasons. That is quite impressive considering how inconsistent she used to be :respec:

l'etoile

Congrats to Carolina on her 5th World medal! What a gutsy performance after her nose bleed ... when she was taking so long to take the ice I thought Oh my, this is not good! I was fearing another melt down from her. But she has become such a great competitor after all these years (who would have thought!) and did really well. Shame about the fall in the end but still she really shut up her critics from last year by upgrading her jump content and showing a 3lz and 3f3t here.

Believe it or not, this is Carolina's 20th podium finish in a row, she has never been off the podium for the last 3 seasons. That is quite impressive considering how inconsistent she used to be :respec:

Amazing!:respec:

briancoogaert

Absolutely ! Big respect for her perfect 3Lutz and 3F/3T combo !
I was afraid too with her nose, and jumping and spining is not good for that. But she did it really well. Now, I guess she won't have a 3Sal at the very end of the program next season. She landed it earlier, but not at the last competitions.

orbitz

I really like Kostner's LP. Could Caroline have beaten (or equaled) Yu-Na in the LP if she hadn't popped the 3L and fell on the 3S ? Yu-Na definitely deserved he win, but I do think Kostner's choreography and performance level were more intricate and detailed than Yu-Na's.

briancoogaert

Carolina lost about 5 points on the Loop, and about 3 points on the Salchow, just on TES base value, without counting GOE.
Then, she would probably have higher PCS, but not better than Yu Na Kim. So maybe 2 or 3 points on PCS, at best.
Then the fall : -1.
So, I'd say Carolina could have scored 13 points higher, at best. Still 4 points behind Yu Na Kim.
Just my thought. ;)

museksk8r

Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy
Carolina lost about 5 points on the Loop, and about 3 points on the Salchow, just on TES base value, without counting GOE.
Then, she would probably have higher PCS, but not better than Yu Na Kim. So maybe 2 or 3 points on PCS, at best.
Then the fall : -1.
So, I'd say Carolina could have scored 13 points higher, at best. Still 4 points behind Yu Na Kim.
Just my thought. ;)

You also have to factor in the extra points she would have received had she skated a flawless SP, so I believe if she had, she would have defeated Yu-Na Kim, and rightfully so. Carolina is so much more interesting a skater than Yu-Na.

theguitarist

All these if's....sigh. Carolina is already scored based on 'what could have been' rather than what she actually put out on the ice, and this time after time.

shine

I swore so loud when she fell on the salchow I must have woken my neighbours :shuffle:

I don't agree with the PCS gap between her and Kim at all. Bolero is a majestic masterpiece, above and beyond the rest of programs. But considering Kim had a clean skate one really couldn't have expected anything different with these judges. :rolleyes:

I'm soooo proud of Carolina for bringing back the lutz AND the 3f-3t, and landing both of them under this particular circumstance. The lutz was a thing of beauty especially. She has really transformed herself as a skater in the past couple of seasons hasn't she? So composed and joyous in her skating all the time now. She's a master like no other skater competing today. I can't wait to see what she'll bring us next year! FORZA CARO!

LuckyCharm

Has she said whether she intends to keep her current programs for next season? I vote yes. Bolero has come so far from the first time she competed it, I can just imagine it a year from now.

Cachoo

Carolina is the primary reason I even bother watching ladies' figure skating anymore. She is so special and regal. IMO, she has become the Svetlana Khorkina of figure skating. I find her so mesmerizing! My dream worlds podium would be: 1) Kostner, 2) Tuktamysheva, and 3) Osmond. I know, not a very likely result, but I must say I find those 3 to be the most interesting and exciting ladies to watch right now. Their personalities draw me in the most to their skating of all the current ladies. :)

There is something to be said for not retiring too early. Truthfully I didn't care so much for Carolina until she was injured and after that her skating became so much more interesting imho. I loved watching her last night. When I think of her skating for some reason the word "sumptuous" comes to mind. Technically I love her footwork. And she is so elegant on and off the ice.

npavel

seems there are plans for two new programs: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130315&content_id=42806026&vkey=ice_news

I'm not thinking so much if. Carolina needed a time out and haven't performed this program so often. I'm sure it was a wise decision, she got a period of rest. I would say it is better for her to have silver, much less pressure going into Olimpics, which is the main goal. The other goal was, in my opinion, to bring bak 3Lz and 3F3T in competition program, she will need it next year. I would say: goal accomplished.
I think Caro can do perfect programs and be on par with YuNa if she do, but of course she needs to bring the programs out to competition some more time. And hopeful without nose-bleeding.

LuckyCharm

seems there are plans for two new programs: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130315&content_id=42806026&vkey=ice_news

I'm not thinking so much if. Carolina needed a time out and haven't performed this program so often. I'm sure it was a wise decision, she got a period of rest. I would say it is better for her to have silver, much less pressure going into Olimpics, which is the main goal. The other goal was, in my opinion, to bring bak 3Lz and 3F3T in competition program, she will need it next year. I would say: goal accomplished.
I think Caro can do perfect programs and be on par with YuNa if she do, but of course she needs to bring the programs out to competition some more time. And hopeful without nose-bleeding.

Interesting. Sounds like they plan on creating a new FS but won't decide until later which program to skate at the big competitions, so my hope to see Bolero in Sochi is still alive, or even the Mozart which I also loved. I wasn't so crazy about Faun, but whatever.

Of course, if they are able to come up with something even better for the new program, then I'm all for that.

justAfsfan

I'm I the only one who really think that fall in the last salchow suit Bolero really well?

I wish her program next year is as interesting as the past three year! Bolero is my favorite LP program this season.

judgejudy27

I don't agree with the PCS gap between her and Kim at all. Bolero is a majestic masterpiece, above and beyond the rest of programs. But considering Kim had a clean skate one really couldn't have expected anything different with these judges. :rolleyes:

Well after the scandulous mens event they werent going to dare not deduct PC marks for disruptive falls or errors, and understandably so.

orbitz

I'm I the only one who really think that fall in the last salchow suit Bolero really well?

Yes, I think you're probably the only one :). The fall was quite jarring, and Kostner didn't think quick enough to attempt to cover it up. When she fell, I thought Ok, just remain on flat on the ice and strike an ending pose right then and there, kind of like how D&T ended their Bolero. But Kostner looked shocked and slowly got up to get to the ending pose after the music had already stopped.

Marco

As much as I adore Yuna, I really wish Kostner would have defended. I love her programs the most this season and she executed them perfectly. And she had the lutz and 3flip3toe back just in time as well. This nose bleed was such an untimely disaster.

Win or lose, I wish the PCS between Yuna and Kostner would have reflected what they each delivered. For me, Kostner killed Yuna in 4 of 5 PCS categories. Even with the last-second fall, I still feel Kostner should have won PCS.

npavel

Yes, I think you're probably the only one :). The fall was quite jarring, and Kostner didn't think quick enough to attempt to cover it up. When she fell, I thought Ok, just remain on flat on the ice and strike an ending pose right then and there, kind of like how D&T ended their Bolero. But Kostner looked shocked and slowly got up to get to the ending pose after the music had already stopped.
I was thinking exactly the same, and thought which pose she could come up with, lying on the ice, but she didn't

Skittl1321

I was thinking exactly the same, and thought which pose she could come up with, lying on the ice, but she didn't

I don't think the rules allow you to lie on the ice anymore, so 'quick thinking' wouldn't have really helped. It was clear it was an unintentional fall, and at the worst moment for program interuption. :(

jiggs

I don't know whether this video has ever been posted before but I recently stumbled across it and found it so interesting to watch, it really captures a pure moment of creation - this is Carolina working on her 2007 footwork sequence with Lori Nichol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr56uS_EXr0.

She really has some of the best footwork in the business. Her feet are so fast and skating so light, it's hard to keep up with what she does with her blades.

jiggs

Some more recent updates ...

Video & interview from Carolina's reception in her hometown in Val Gardena. You can hear her speaking German in this interview - everyone who knows German will probably notice the heavy dialect she uses which is very typical for the region of South Tyrol. It's amazing to think she grew up trilingually and is fluent in 5 languages ... what a lucky girl! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVVamxjYNz4

Gardena Spring Trophy currently takes place in her valley, I guess she will be watching some of the competitions: https://twitter.com/PolinaEdmunds/status/319090678409875458/photo/1

On the recent cover of Doppio Axel: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...97179443.32837.152001281509228&type=1&theater

spikydurian

All the top ladies have their own strengths and Carolina's in her footwork. She's a very elegant skater. I enjoy her skating. Good luck to Carolina for the Sochi season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information