The ALL NEW Youtube thread!!

antmanb

Thanks for the link :).

So was that little hop at 2:48 an inside axel with an opposite-foot landing?

I just watched the programme and came here to ask the same thing! What would you call that...an inside one foot axel?

floskate

Vacant
Well a usual inside axel takes off and lands on the same foot so I guess gkelly is right and it's best described as an inside axel landed on the opposite foot. Interesting little jump though :)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
NEW Midori Ito program!!

I've never seen this before - it is the 1986 Japan free skating championships - not Nationals - and she skated clean with 7 triples :cheer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bJN98ubei8&feature=related

The uploader has a LOT of cool rare vids that I have never seen before so take a look while you're there. :)

What an amazing skater! She was several years ahead of her time. If not for the compulsory figures, she would have won many more world titles. She had enough technical skills to blow away the 1986 field. She would have won in 1980 if not for the compulsories. Thanks for posting this, and yes, there are lots of other Midori videos there.

Clay

Who is the coach? Everywhere! Everybodeee!
Apropos of nothing: am I the only one here to have had way too much nostalgic fun watching Patricia Mansfield's 1995 US Nationals free skate?

NO way. I had a blast watching that program again. So many voidy drinking game moments: someone getting the movie title wrong, peggy talking about her mother making costumes etc.

Most of all, it was a great performance full of wonderful moves. Patricia made it back to nationals several times (02 and 03) but none of her performances were televised. I imagine all of her programs were just as interesting as 1995 though.

falling_dance

Coaching Patrick
Better late than never...

from 1985 Skate Canada*:

Caryn Kadavy (1st overall)
Faust (That's all I can identify.)

Ina Bauer into a 3r
2a
camel-layback-change-sit-upright
2t2t
3s
flying camel into a donut spin
spread eagles into a 2r2t
camel-sit-upright
2a
layback-upright spin
spirals
2f
serpentine steps
2t
split jumps
2a
flying upright spin

Elizabeth Manley (2nd overall)
The Stone Flower (See comment about Kadavy's music.)

2f
3z (2ft. or a Maria B.-style save?; I should be able to tell, but can't.)
straight line steps
2s
3t
2a
camel-upright spin
camel-upright spin (in opposite direction)
Ina Bauer
spiral
layback-upright spin
flying upright spin
steps preceding a flying camel-illusions-upright spin to finish
2z
2a
split-2f-hop-2t
spread eagles
camel-layback-sit-change-camel (slight loss of speed and control)-sit (ditto)-upright

* all elements well-executed unless otherwise noted

Both videos are recent uploads (and, liking this thread, I hope it will continue).

sadya

Thanks for sharing those, especially the Manley program from 1985, falling_dance. I enjoyed that performance as much as er 1988 Olympic lp. Love her hair!

floskate

Vacant
Thanks for posting that clip of Manley at 1985 St Ivel. Haven't seen that in years. It inspired me to upload this:

Liz Manley 1986 St Ivel LP

AFAIK this was her first competition of the 1986-87 season and she picked up where she left off at 1986 Worlds in Geneva by skating an absolute blinder. She had lost the SP to Trenary but this was more than enough to give her victory overall. Manley only skated this well a few times in her career so it deserves to be seen by many.

And huge posthumous thanks to our own Captcrunch aka David Forberg who passed away last month. :( He very generously shared this footage with me earlier this year. I'll upload Jill Trenary also.

skatesindreams

Thanks so much for sharing these programs here.
I'm grateful to David for sharing the footage with you, too.

floskate

Vacant
Here's an in-no-teknik question about Trenary's 1986 St. Ivel FS: Is there anything wrong with this one-foot-axel-3s combination?

No, that's Eurosport's Simon Reed commentating and clearly not understanding what a 1-foot axel is. Almost 30 years later and he's still clueless ;)

falling_dance

Coaching Patrick
^Thanks. ;) I'm also wondering about the name of the co-commentator on that event. Hers isn't a voice I've heard before.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I'm about to take all my vids down. I uploaded some vids from last year's GPS and USFSA claimed a copyright on those! So I took down the four or five vids I had on my hubby's account (before I got my own) and all of the vids from 07-08 season on my account as well. It really sucks. We're just trying to share skating with other fans since it isn't shown much on TV. Plus, I honestly don't think this is going to make fans in the US want to subscribe to IceNetwork's coverage. I know USFSA has a copyright claim and all but the way they're taking down vids is scary.

I'm a huge Doors fan and I remember in an old interview the band's guitarist Robbie Krieger said they got sued by some family (from Spain I believe) for a tune they recorded in the 1960's. The intro to their song was believed to be in the public domain. When they got sued they found out the copyright went back to the original composer's-centuries before! And apparently the copyright goes on forever there-as the composer still had descendants living it was still active!:eek:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Thanks for posting that clip of Manley at 1985 St Ivel. Haven't seen that in years. It inspired me to upload this:

Liz Manley 1986 St Ivel LP

AFAIK this was her first competition of the 1986-87 season and she picked up where she left off at 1986 Worlds in Geneva by skating an absolute blinder. She had lost the SP to Trenary but this was more than enough to give her victory overall. Manley only skated this well a few times in her career so it deserves to be seen by many.

Ah...if only Liz had skated like this in Cincinnati, she'd have won Worlds.

sadya

I miss YouTube.

Our netbook has been broken, repair is €75 and they're not even sure if they can repair it. :( I ordered a new netbook which can be paid off after many months, but that won't arrive before January. I can't afford to fix my broken one before January or February.

It's strange to live without YouTube while I've been so used to it. Stranger is even that I'm getting used to living without it now. Yet I will be so happy to be able to watch YouTube again! Skating is reason number one to have YouTube. I missed most programs from the latest figure skating competitions. I used to watch them on YouTube. I miss watching my old favorite programs.

I never realised how much I used YouTube until now. And how many uploaders have made me happy by sharing their skating files on YouTube.

I'd like to thank everyone who has been sharing programs and links to programs. :) And Happy Holidays to everyone! :)

orbitz

Midori's NHK 92 SP.

This is the first time I've seen a clean performance of this SP. WOW! If only she had been able to skate with this kind of freedom in Albertville.

BmcC102

Not to be a jerk, but that clip is actually from 91 NHK (in the 91-92 season)... but it's still a great clip!

sadya

Our new netbook arrived sooner than expected yesterday. Internet at home again. Unfortunately some unexpected negative changes at YouTube when I finally logged in there. It seems the new YouTube design won't allow us our freedom anymore. Most of you know all this by now.

I read that making comments for example will become different, making/reading comments while watching a vid will disappear. Sharing opinions is one of the most interesting aspects of YouTube for me. Friends and subscription lists will disappear too from what I understand.

Protests are organised to boycott YouTube. I'm not always in favour of boycotts, but sometimes they are needed. In case you want to join:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy4vcvjvzO4

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information