2023/24 Canadian Women: News & Updates

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
fixed it for you. GEEESHHHH
Uhm - FYI, I was only listing the women who are ahead of Schizas on the SB list - Glenn is behind Schizas (barely). I also left off age-ineligible skaters and any skaters who aren't already assigned to Worlds. The US has 2 spots and 3 women with SB appreciably higher than Schizas. My expectation is that, like last season, at least 2 US women will finish ahead of Schizas (and I almost included Glenn because of that but didn't because I already had 3 US women listed and her SB is below Maddie). It really wasn't meant to be a slight of Glenn💐. I promise, lol.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Uhm - FYI, I was only listing the women who are ahead of Schizas on the SB list - Glenn is behind Schizas (barely). I also left off age-ineligible skaters and any skaters who aren't already assigned to Worlds. The US has 2 spots and 3 women with SB appreciably higher than Schizas. My expectation is that, like last season, at least 2 US women will finish ahead of Schizas (and I almost included Glenn because of that but didn't because I already had 3 US women listed and her SB is below Maddie). It really wasn't meant to be a slight of Glenn💐. I promise, lol.

interesting (yet controversial method), I’m only listing those doing triple axels

tee-hee

Karen-W

interesting (yet controversial method), I’m only listing those doing triple axels

tee-hee
You're being ridiculous. The point was that Schizas has little chance of making Top 10 at Worlds. It really doesn't matter which 2 women the US sends - chances are high they will both finish ahead of Schizas. There's nothing remotely controversial in listing the 11 women likely to be at Worlds who have a SB higher than Schizas. If your girl had a SB higher than Schizas, I'd have included her too.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
You're being ridiculous. The point was that Schizas has little chance of making Top 10 at Worlds. It really doesn't matter which 2 women the US sends - chances are high they will both finish ahead of Schizas. There's nothing remotely controversial in listing the 11 women likely to be at Worlds who have a SB higher than Schizas. If your girl had a SB higher than Schizas, I'd have included her too.

I’m being funny. The tee hee indicates that.

senses of humors need to be put in peoples Amazon carts

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I have to think Edmonton ranks better in terms of cost of living versus the GTAA or Montreal. More Canadian coaching centers is just good for Canadian skating, so here's hoping Ravi gets busier over the years.

How nice of the women to mostly make the decision for worlds and other assignments for Skate Canada. If Rutier IS sent somewhere and DOES get minimums to go, that's fantastic, but it's no drama if she doesn't.

Karen-W

I have to think Edmonton ranks better in terms of cost of living versus the GTAA or Montreal. More Canadian coaching centers is just good for Canadian skating, so here's hoping Ravi gets busier over the years.

How nice of the women to mostly make the decision for worlds and other assignments for Skate Canada. If Rutier IS sent somewhere and DOES get minimums to go, that's fantastic, but it's no drama if she doesn't.
Seriously? What happens if Schizas gets injured a week or two before Worlds and Skate Canada, in all it's glorious wisdom has done nothing to give Ruiter one final shot at meeting the TES mins? At that point, unless a miracle happens and either Miclette or Dupuis get the mins at 4CCs, the host federation will have no entry in the discipline. The federation is doing very little to maximize the number of skaters who have the TES mins for anything.

It's already madness that they signed off on sending her to the WYOG instead of 4CCs. I know some posters believe that WYOG is more important/prestigious than 4CCs but you're wrong. The YOG are not that important in the overall scheme of things - if they mattered the ISU would award WS points for it but they don't which says all you need to know about the subject. Skate Canada should have been thinking about setting Ruiter up for success next season and that means sending her to the event that will give her the greatest opportunity for WS points and improving her SB standing. It was one thing last season to send her to Jr Worlds but this season it isn't okay and I really question both her coach and the federation. You wouldn't see this kind of poor vision and thoughtless planning out of the JSF, KSF or the USFS.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
…I know some posters believe that WYOG is more important/prestigious than 4CCs but you're wrong. The YOG are not that important in the overall scheme of things - if they mattered the ISU would award WS points for it but they don't which says all you need to know about the subject. ….

No kidding. WYOG are not remotely on my watching list. (There’ll be CHARGE$, I’m sure. Bank clo$ed.)

Former Lurve Goddess

Two good friends of mine who recently moved back to Montreal loved living in Edmonton. They had an amazing house there but can't afford anything similar in Montreal. They also loved being treated like stars at the Edmonton Holt Renfrew. :lol:

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Seriously? What happens if Schizas gets injured a week or two before Worlds and Skate Canada, in all it's glorious wisdom has done nothing to give Ruiter one final shot at meeting the TES mins? At that point, unless a miracle happens and either Miclette or Dupuis get the mins at 4CCs, the host federation will have no entry in the discipline. The federation is doing very little to maximize the number of skaters who have the TES mins for anything.
Clearly there are organizational problems with Skate Canada and no one is denying that. They absolutely should be sending more skaters out. But that costs money that SC likely doesn’t have.
And as much as I like Ruiter - and I do - she HAS had opportunities to earn the minimums and hasn’t been able to do it. Yes, she should have another shot at it as Canadian champion. But the hand wringing over her not having had a chance is a bit over the top.

Andora

Seriously? What happens if Schizas gets injured a week or two before Worlds and Skate Canada, in all it's glorious wisdom has done nothing to give Ruiter one final shot at meeting the TES mins? At that point, unless a miracle happens and either Miclette or Dupuis get the mins at 4CCs, the host federation will have no entry in the discipline.
You kind of answered the question there.

If Schizas can't go, there really isn't anyone else in Canada that deserves to go. And I just don't see Canada getting two spots before the next Olympic quad, nor deserve one at the Olympics at this point.

🤷🏼‍♀️ It's a little bit uglier than the run up to 1998. But it's not unheard of in this country.

Colonel Green

If Schizas can't go, there really isn't anyone else in Canada that deserves to go. And I just don't see Canada getting two spots before the next Olympic quad, nor deserve one at the Olympics at this point.

🤷🏼‍♀️ It's a little bit uglier than the run up to 1998. But it's not unheard of in this country.
It’s nowhere near as bad as the leadup to 1998.

Karen-W

Lmao. So, basically just sit back and take it if Canada doesn't have a woman to send to Worlds?

I agree, it was uglier back during the run-up to 1998 and when fans derisively called Robinson "Top Ten Jen." At least back then, Canadian fans had a modicum of self-respect and were not okay with just accepting what a sh*thole mess their women's discipline was and made some noise. Nowadays the excuses seem to abound.

Andora

Lmao. So, basically just sit back and take it if Canada doesn't have a woman to send to Worlds?

I agree, it was uglier back during the run-up to 1998 and when fans derisively called Robinson "Top Ten Jen." At least back then, Canadian fans had a modicum of self-respect and were not okay with just accepting what a sh*thole mess their women's discipline was and made some noise. Nowadays the excuses seem to abound.
This is just a really weird take and I'm not sure how you got this from my response.

First of all, are you Canadian, and have you suffered through Canadian lady skating since Liz Manley? :lol: That is my barometer, anyways. I guess it's just seeing the Joanne's and the Katelyn's and even the Maddie's in 2022 as outliers, because the norm has been so low that CTV was hyping up someone too young for worlds that had juvenile arthritis, and no Lutz. Times have been dark, they've been darker, but when men skating is nearly as bad, it's hard to conceive of this discipline receiving the focus it needs.

(Sorry, phone hit post too fast)

Karen-W

This is just a really weird take and I'm not sure how you got this from my response.

First of all, are you Canadian, and have you suffered through Canadian lady skating since Liz Manley? :lol: That is my barometer, anyways. I guess it's just seeing the Joanne's and the Katelyn's and even the Maddie's in 2022 as outliers, because the norm has been so low that CTV was hyping up someone too young for worlds that had juvenile arthritis, and no Lutz. Times have been dark, they've been darker, but when men skating is nearly as bad, it's hard to conceive of this discipline receiving the focus it needs.

What does it matter whether I'm Canadian or not? Both the men and women being in such bad shape in Canada is bad for the sport globally. Everyone should be worried about the state of Canadian skating overall.

Colonel Green

What does it matter whether I'm Canadian or not? Both the men and women being in such bad shape in Canada is bad for the sport globally. Everyone should be worried about the state of Canadian skating overall.
The Canadian women’s discipline is around its baseline right now; Madeline’s Worlds results are respectable, but well outside podium contention. That’s how things usually are.

The current weakness of the men’s discipline is pretty unusual, though, at least since the early 1980s.

Sonata

I’m not even troubled by the lack of world medallists, Canadians can still be interested in high profile women’s champs. After Manley came Preston and Chouinard, who were both comfortably in top 10. Chouinard had some bombs, but she did a lot for this sport’s visibility, especially in Quebec. I remember the first time I saw her, I was watching her on live on tv at Radio Shack and wondering who is this? (Then a guy came to try to sell me the tv - a great opportunity for both skating and the store!) People were invested in her and she was always a dark horse for a medal. Even without a world medal, she had a lot of commercial deals. I guess what I’m saying is you don’t need a medal to get people invested or to have a quality program. A recent example of people being interested in a non-medallist would be Elladj Balde.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
The Canadian women’s discipline is around its baseline right now; Madeline’s Worlds results are respectable, but well outside podium contention. That’s how things usually are.

The current weakness of the men’s discipline is pretty unusual, though, at least since the early 1980s.
I was going to say the same thing. Have a skater in the top 13 or thereabouts is right around where Canadian women's skating tends to sit. And since when is being in the top 13 in the WORLD a disaster?? Sure, there's not a lot of depth behind Maddie right now, but there wasn't behind Joannie either, and look how that turned out.

We're not used to men's skating being in such bad shape in Canada. There was always at least one man contending - often two at a time - and lots of depth. Hopefully this is just a blip.

Pairs are decent and dance is in excellent shape. It was a subpar nationals event but the alarm bells are unnecessary.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling

It's already madness that they signed off on sending her to the WYOG instead of 4CCs. I know some posters believe that WYOG is more important/prestigious than 4CCs but you're wrong. The YOG are not that important in the overall scheme of things - if they mattered the ISU would award WS points for it but they don't which says all you need to know about the subject. Skate Canada should have been thinking about setting Ruiter up for success next season and that means sending her to the event that will give her the greatest opportunity for WS points and improving her SB standing. It was one thing last season to send her to Jr Worlds but this season it isn't okay and I really question both her coach and the federation. You wouldn't see this kind of poor vision and thoughtless planning out of the JSF, KSF or the USFS.

Sometimes it’s more about the journey and being involved in a multi sport even like the YOG is amazing for young people. Even the top Japanese skaters of age requested it. So I completely disagree with you. There is no rush especially this season. Opportunities were provided and they were timely. So now time to move on.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I don't understand why non-Canadians are getting so upset and angry with the decisions being made within the Skate Canada organisation when it comes to their skaters :confused:

I mean I get this is a skating board and we all talk about things BUT I am just NOT getting the passion some people are giving the current situation within a foreign federation 🤷‍♀️

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
We're a nosy lot. 🤷‍♀️
Clearly :lol:

I get the interest in watching other countries Nationals but will never understand why anyone outside of Canada cares on iota that Schizas is the only one with TES minimums and an injury leaves Canada without a female skater at Worlds. Not your circus, not you monkey 🤷‍♀️

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Clearly :lol:

I get the interest in watching other countries Nationals but will never understand why anyone outside of Canada cares on iota that Schizas is the only one with TES minimums and an injury leaves Canada without a female skater at Worlds. Not your circus, not you monkey 🤷‍♀️
Because people are fans of skaters and the sport outside of their own country?

There’s always discussions over choices to big events, including Tuktamysheva being dropped for Medvedeva in 2019, Miner in 2018, and most recently Torgashev who had to be sent to a late international to get to Worlds. This isn’t really a new thing. ETA- and the same thing happened with Bombardier discussions last year after she won bronze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information