2023-24 Challenger Series

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think their goal is to win Budapest and get GP spot :slinkaway
They are not getting a GP spot.

As I explained in the pbp thread during Nepela, the win at Budapest would only add them to the BOTTOM of the GP Alternates list. There are 29 teams on the GP alternates list, of whom 4 haven't competed yet this season (including Team KoKo). Of those 29 teams, 8 of them are host fed teams that already have 1 GP assignment and you can be certain those teams are going to get a 2nd GP ahead of DavSmo if any GP spots open up, which is already pretty rare in ice dance. And even in a scenario where say, KoKo WDs from NHK, there's at least 1 other senior ice dance team that the JSF could give the assignment to and I expect they would given they gave a host spot to an untested pairs team. DavSmo are so far down the pecking order of getting an assignment, it's not even worth speculating about. Guaranteed that teams like McNamara/Spiridonov, Orihara/Pirinen, Dupayage/Nabais, Bashynska/Beaumont, Fabbri/Ayer and Lanaghan/Razgulajeves, and probably Smart/Dieck too, will get a 2nd assignment before Diana & Gleb get one. Beyond that, it won't hurt them one bit, going into Euros, to have not had a GP, if the scoring from Nepela is any indication. In fact, it might be better for them to NOT have a GP with tougher judging, so they can ride a wave of artificially high scores from Challengers into Kaunas.

airgelaal

They are not getting a GP spot.

As I explained in the pbp thread during Nepela, the win at Budapest would only add them to the BOTTOM of the GP Alternates list.
There are 29 teams on the GP alternates list, of whom 4 haven't competed yet this season (including Team KoKo). Of those 29 teams, 8 of them are host fed teams that already have 1 GP assignment and you can be certain those teams are going to get a 2nd GP ahead of DavSmo if any GP spots open up, which is already pretty rare in ice dance. And even in a scenario where say, KoKo WDs from NHK, there's at least 1 other senior ice dance team that the JSF could give the assignment to and I expect they would given they gave a host spot to an untested pairs team. DavSmo are so far down the pecking order of getting an assignment, it's not even worth speculating about. Guaranteed that teams like McNamara/Spiridonov, Orihara/Pirinen, Dupayage/Nabais, Bashynska/Beaumont, Fabbri/Ayer and Lanaghan/Razgulajeves, and probably Smart/Dieck too, will get a 2nd assignment before Diana & Gleb get one. Beyond that, it won't hurt them one bit, going into Euros, to have not had a GP, if the scoring from Nepela is any indication. In fact, it might be better for them to NOT have a GP with tougher judging, so they can ride a wave of artificially high scores from Challengers into Kaunas.
This is not the first time for them to receive non-guaranteed spot :shuffle:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I'm not really sure, but I thought they were high enough on the list to get their Grand Prix assignment, when you factored in the unknown status of other teams above them/whether those names were submitted for consideration. Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that.

I know the 2021/2022 season had a complex situation because of there being a lack of 2021 season events, but I don't think there was a big stretch to get them a GP assignment- the question was just why other Russian teams didn't IIRC. Then again, maybe the ISU was more lax that season because of having very little to use from the prior year.

Karen-W

Sure, let's look at the 2021-22 season, which had a lot of weirdness and special situations/considerations and hold that up as the reason why they're going to get special consideration this season. Let's disregard the fact that in 2021 they were representing one of the host feds, so there was certainly some pull there to get them an assignment they weren't guaranteed, and now... Well, there are a lot of host fed teams who would love a 2nd assignment and are going to get a 2nd assignment ahead of a non-host fed team.
Really, it is NOT going to hurt them to not be on the GP this season and while I'm one of the most cynical around here, I will be very surprised if they're given a GP to fill a last minute vacancy.

Karen-W

Also - Gamez/Korovin are out of Finlandia.
And they WD because one of them caught Covid.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I'm so pleased! I just looked at the schedule and they're doing a Fri-Sat-Sun competition schedule, which makes it much more worth my time/money to pay for the stream (okay, I've paid for all of them so far and Finlandia will be no different, lol). But, suffice it to say, I'll be up and at 'em for the pairs and most of the men's SPs on Friday!
Sunday here is a workday which matters less because we don’t work. But I cannot deny husband another Fri and Sat night outing or hosting. Fortunately dance is at noon on Sat and 2 on Sunday this week before he loses his high tolerance for my skating addiction.

Sylvia

TBD
Finlandia Trophy entries are out! https://results.isu.org/events/fsevent00117410.htm
Pairs
13 Chelsea LIU / Balazs NAGY USA 10
Just noticed that Liu/Nagy are no longer listed as of Oct. 4. :(
(USFS' International Assignments page has not been updated with their WD.)

ETA:

Piegad/Strekalin explained their WD from the French Masters (Océane was injured in a collision during short program practice and was "evacuated from the ice for risk of head trauma and cervical pain"): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cx5ivu9oM0B/
Another machine translated excerpt:
"... With the consent of the doctors and a good development of the situation we returned to Paris and were able to skate again.
Wednesday we leave for the Finlandia Trophy, Challenger Series Espoo!! 🇫🇮"

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
In the short program post Yelim and Ava do a triple lutz / triple toe but why do they have different base values for the same element?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Wowwww where did Arttu come from? What a unique look and beautiful jumps. I thought that the score should’ve been way way higher, have we seen him before?

for those of you who have not seen his short program skate go to the 26 minute park

All positive grades of execution on every element, but barely. This guy should’ve been in the top five if you ask me. I think they gave him low scores cause he’s new.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

Desperado

Call me cheap, but I’m very disappointed that almost all of these competitions require payments to stream, especially considering the exchange rates. Paying close to CA$30 per week is out of the question for me (not to mention the pain of separate registrations).

Hedwig

Antique member
Call me cheap, but I’m very disappointed that almost all of these competitions require payments to stream, especially considering the exchange rates. Paying close to CA$30 per week is out of the question for me (not to mention the pain of separate registrations).
Yes. It does add up

I am more annoyed though that I have to watch live or one day delayed. That is often not feasible with family and job. That there is no scroll back function or at least the events divided into several small videos makes it less attrctive to then pay the money. So this week I will probably not buy.

Desperado

Yes. It does add up

I am more annoyed though that I have to watch live or one day delayed. That is often not feasible with family and job. That there is no scroll back function or at least the events divided into several small videos makes it less attrctive to then pay the money. So this week I will probably not buy.
I didn’t know about this. Scroll back is a must and why I enjoy the ISU Youtube streams so much. I particularly like to start watching a bit late and ffwd through ice resurfacings or annoying commenting. :biggrinbo

airgelaal

And to be honest, some of the streams were so-so.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

OMG

I’m just gonna plop this right here in this thread solely for anybody who wants to smile for their day

check out this young man, so dang adorable. Just brought me a long smile. I just started getting fully into juniors a few years ago. Don’t think I could ever watch novice or whatever chicks group this is. Chicks? Never heard of it.

❤️

Watch if you want to smile

Sylvia

TBD
Denis Ten Memorial (Nov. 2-5, 2023 in Astana KAZ) entries are published: https://results.isu.org/events/fsevent00117425.htm

Men
Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Fedor CHITIPAKHOVIAN ARM 1
2 Semen DANILIANTS ARM 1
3 Petr KOTLARIK CZE 2
4 Arlet LEVANDI EST 3
5 Valtter VIRTANEN FIN 4
6 Samy HAMMI FRA 5
7 Xan ROLS FRA 5
8 Nika EGADZE GEO 6
9 Nikita STAROSTIN GER 7
10 Lev VINOKUR ISR 8
11 Rakhat BRALIN KAZ 9
12 Dias JIRENBAYEV KAZ 9
13 Hangil KIM KOR 10
14 Juheon LIM KOR 10
15 Burak DEMIRBOGA TUR 11
16 Basar OKTAR TUR 11
17 Kyrylo MARSAK UKR 12

Women
Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Maria CHERNYSHOVA AUS 1
2 Jade HOVINE BEL 2
3 Eliska BREZINOVA CZE 3
4 Nikola RYCHTARIKOVA CZE 3
5 Eva-Lotta KIIBUS EST 4
6 Olesja LEONOVA EST 4
7 Kristina LISOVSKAJA EST 4
8 Alina URUSHADZE GEO 5
9 Elizabet GERVITS ISR 6
10 Mariia SENIUK ISR 6
11 Amina ALEXEYEVA KAZ 7
12 Sofiya FARAFONOVA KAZ 7
13 Anna LEVKOVETS KAZ 7
14 Russalina SHAKROVA KAZ 7
15 Nuriya SULEIMEN KAZ 7
16 Dabin CHOI KOR 8
17 Minchae KIM KOR 8
18 Ahsun YUN KOR 8
19 Anastasia GRACHEVA MDA 9
20 Antonina DUBININA SRB 10
21 Niginabonu JAMOLIDDINOVA UZB 11

Ice Dance
Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Viktoriia AZROIAN / Artur GRUZDEV ARM 1
2 Adrienne CARHART / Oleksandr KOLOSOVSKYI AZE 2
3 Natalia PALLU-NEVES / Jayin PANESAR BRA 3
4 Yuka ORIHARA / Juho PIRINEN FIN 4
5 Lou TERREAUX / Noe PERRON FRA 5
6 Diana DAVIS / Gleb SMOLKIN GEO 6
7 Jennifer JANSE VAN RENSBURG / Benjamin STEFFAN GER 7
8 Karla Maria KARL / Kai HOFERICHTER GER 7
9 Mariia IGNATEVA / Danijil Leonyidovics SZEMKO HUN 8
10 Shira ICHILOV / Dmytriy KRAVCHENKO ISR 9
11 Mariia NOSOVITSKAYA / Mikhail NOSOVITSKIY ISR 9
12 Anastasia POLIBINA / Pavel GOLOVISHNIKOV POL 10
13 Milla Ruud REITAN / Nikolaj MAJOROV SWE 11
14 Zoe LARSON / Andrii KAPRAN UKR 12
15 Mariia PINCHUK / Mykyta POGORIELOV UKR 12

17/10/2023 07:23:23 UTC

Sylvia

TBD
I just started getting fully into juniors a few years ago. Don’t think I could ever watch novice or whatever chicks group this is. Chicks? Never heard of it.
@AngieNikodinovLove turns out this video's title is wrong. I looked up the results and Anders was the only skater in his Cubs B 2013/14 Boys event (Chicks/Cubs are categories below the Novice level and 2013/14 means he was born in one of those years) at the Olympic Autumn Cup Interclub competition in Estonia about 2 weeks ago... it was nice to see Selevko brothers in the kiss & cry with him. :)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

@AngieNikodinovLove turns out this video's title is wrong. I looked up the results and Anders was the only skater in his Cubs B 2013/14 Boys event (Chicks/Cubs are categories below the Novice level and 2013/14 means he was born in one of those years) at the Olympic Autumn Cup Interclub competition in Estonia about 2 weeks ago... it was nice to see Selevko brothers in the kiss & cry with him. :)

I was wondering. I originally thought Cubs as well. I thought chicks was the name for the girls competition. Having browsed many competition schedules over the decades, I’ve seen the phrase cubs and chicks before, and was wondering if that was what it was supposed to be.

anyway, he is such an adorable skater

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Challenger Series Ranking 2023/2024 - last updated on Oct. 16 after Budapest Trophy:

Men: https://results.isu.org/events/cs2023/csmen.htm
Women: https://results.isu.org/events/cs2023/cswomen.htm
Pairs: https://results.isu.org/events/cs2023/cspairs.htm
Ice Dance: https://results.isu.org/events/cs2023/csdance.htm

The final 2 Challengers in the series:
Warsaw Cup (singles/ice dance) - entries by name due "not later than: Friday, October 20th, 2023 – 20:00 h (local time in Warsaw – CEST)."
Golden Spin (all 4 disciplines) - entries by name are due "not later than: November 10, 2023 – 20:00 h (local time Zagreb, Croatia)."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information