2024 US Figure Skating Championships

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Because viewership is down in the country whose Nationals we are talking about? Yes, it was streamed. But Peacock is not making money so who knows how long that will last.
I have yet to see hard stats that suggests viewerships is lower than what it was at from 2004-2015 or so, which I think is the US dark ages. If people choose to live in the 90's, which are nearly a quarter of a century ago, then yes, viewership is down from that point. Too many people seem stuck in that generation and with those expectancies.

But again, network television viewership is nothing like it used to be, and it's been well-established that the target audience (in other words, the young people who we are trying to pull into skating apparently) aren't watching it anyways. People who have children in their teens likely are millennials who aren't paying for cable/network TV, either.

So yes, we have to base it on Peacock and if it doesn't survive, then skating will find a home elsewhere. It won't go back exclusively to network TV. But Peacock is also a lot cheaper than Ice Network was and it's constantly giving out free months as-is.
Football fans have friends and family that watch the games with them but would rather be watching something else. My husband watched most of Nats and some of Euros but he didn't watch the Men's FS because the 9ers were in the playoff so he watched that instead. (And, yes, he realized he choose poorly after the 9ers stunk up the joint. :lol:)
If people are already fans of the sport, then they will know how to watch. But the idea that football is blocking a group from 'finding' skating.. I don't agree.
But regardless of audience for different dates, having Nationals so that there is only one week between it ending and 4CCs beginning makes no sense to me. Plus the college students who qualified are going to miss their first or second week of class or not attend. I think the second week in Jan would be better. Or maybe even the first.
Oh, what would we do if they moved it to early January and we got a thread of people whining about having just gone through all this off-time from the holidays and not wanting to take any more to travel to Nationals? We already have people worked up about the schedule and having to take a full day off before the weekend.

tony

Double-posting, but the only official numbers I could find as of right now go back to Friday night, and it was

FOX | Ahead of tonight’s Royal Rumble, Friday Night SmackDown drew its best audience since Dec. 30 (2.4 million total viewers) while steady in the demo (with a 0.6 rating). (How to stream Royal Rumble on Saturday night.)

ABC | Shark Tank (4.4 mil/0.5) added eyeballs week-to-week while steady in the demo.

NBC | U.S. Figure Skating Championships coverage averaged 1.8 mil and a 0.2.

No football in sight, and skating is losing on network television to Shark Tank-- forget the other live 'sporting' event that was also airing. I am sticking by the idea that, much like I got into skating because I happened to be at my great-grandmother's house during the 1993 Worlds and it was on TV, young people these days are more likely to come across it on social media. Whether it be clips that friends are sharing, kids going skating and putting it in their stories, etc, the exposure to so many different new hobbies and interests is much bigger now. I was 6; 6-year-olds aren't likely to be watching primetime TV anyways, but pre-teens and teens are probably on social media 10 hours a day.

Does anyone even have the numbers from Saturday or Sunday?

Last edited:

acraven

One issue with early-January Nationals is the cost of airfare since some folks end their holiday vacations right around January 1, driving up fares. We have to deal with that sort of schedule in Olympic years, but I hope it doesn't become an annual thing. I've been assuming the USFS's preference for dates in the latter half of January was related to the TV contract.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
My first thought about this date was - is it the same week as Euros? That is exhausting! :saint:
Exactly. That’s why I just popped into the final FS groups of M, P & D and saw all skaters for only Women. I made it mostly a US Nationals week.

clairecloutier

Yeah, my biggest wish for timing of Nationals is just that it has its own week, separate from both Canadians and Europeans.

The Olympic-year Nationals, which happen just after New Year’s, are exciting. But I can see the issue with flight prices. I don’t know if it’s coincidental or not, but flights to San Jose for Nationals this year seemed to be only about half the price they were in 2018, when the event was right after New Year’s.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Oh, what would we do if they moved it to early January and we got a thread of people whining about having just gone through all this off-time from the holidays and not wanting to take any more to travel to Nationals? We already have people worked up about the schedule and having to take a full day off before the weekend.
Ignore them? Having the event the same week as Canadians or the week in between Canadians and Euros is about making life easier for the skaters so they get more than a week off before 4CC. Doing it the first week in Jan is about making life easier for skaters who are in school, especially college.

I will say in my own case, my department often shuts down for two weeks ending after the New Year's holiday so taking any time off for Nationals in the month after is hard no matter when it is scheduled. I am not the only one in this position because even if people don't get a week or two off in this timeframe, they get several days off for Christmas and New Year's. So no time in Jan is convenient for fans.

But I don't think Nationals should be scheduled primarily based on the vacation schedules of fans anyway. Skaters come first. Officials are next. Having this comp the same week as Euros means USFS's ISU judges can't do one of those events.

Yeah, my biggest wish for timing of Nationals is just that it has its own week, separate from both Canadians and Europeans.
Yes, this. Or at least separate from Euros. And at least two weeks before 4CCs.

tony

Ignore them? Having the event the same week as Canadians or the week in between Canadians and Euros is about making life easier for the skaters so they get more than a week off before 4CC. Doing it the first week in Jan is about making life easier for skaters who are in school, especially college.
Colleges throughout my area started on January 4th this year, of course in part due to the holidays falling on weekends. So no matter what, you're going to sometimes run into some part of the classes being missed. But the top-level skaters balancing college also have to do this throughout fall semester, multiple times.

The skaters are getting a week off between Nationals and 4CC. It's not the most ideal length of time, but again going back to the top-level skaters: they are used to having 3 or 4 competitions (or even 5 or 6 if they are in the GPF) within a 2 month or so span in the fall, and they are doing much more traveling all over the globe. The US skaters, at least the ones who don't train overseas such as Tennell, have hardly any traveling to do this year with the Nationals/4CC and they don't have to deal with massive time changes. Speaking of college athletes- the World University Games, in the US, were the 13th through the 15th. Should Nationals have been scheduled so that those skaters have to pick one or the other, or even more- miss (at least part of) two weeks in a row of school?

But I don't think Nationals should be scheduled primarily based on the vacation schedules of fans anyway. Skaters come first. Officials are next. Having this comp the same week as Euros means USFS's ISU judges can't do one of those events.
The part about the fans complaining about missing work was highly facetious. Of course the skaters come first.

Last edited:

Allskate

The skaters are getting a week off between Nationals and 4CC. It's not the most ideal length of time, but again going back to the top-level skaters: they are used to having 3 or 4 competitions (or even 5 or 6 if they are in the GPF) within a 2 month or so span in the fall, and they are doing much more traveling all over the globe. The US skaters, at least the ones who don't train overseas such as Tennell, have hardly any traveling to do this year with the Nationals/4CC and they don't have to deal with massive time changes. Speaking of college athletes- the World University Games, in the US, were the 13th through the 15th. Should Nationals have been scheduled so that those skaters have to pick one or the other, or even more- miss (at least part of) two weeks in a row of school?
IMO, one week between Nationals and 4CC is too little even if 4CC is in the same country (which usually is not the case). It's not the same as GP events (where many skaters can choose to have more time between events if they want to anyway). Nationals is a really major event - arguably the most important event of season for many American skaters. It's asking a lot to have skaters recover emotionally and physically from Nationals, travel almost immediately to another competition and deal with jet lags, and then compete well (and not have their skates adversely affect their confidence).

I'm actually glad that Ilia is not going to 4CC. I think it's better for him. I'm not sure if it's good for Isabeau to be competing so quickly after Nationals. She was very emotional after her win and it might benefit her to have some time to come down and then gear back up. IMO, just another week or two between the competitions would be helpful. (I wouldn't want Nationals to be very soon after the GP Finals, either.)

tony

IMO, one week between Nationals and 4CC is too little even if 4CC is in the same country (which usually is not the case). It's not the same as GP events (where many skaters can choose to have more time between events if they want to anyway). Nationals is a really major event - arguably the most important event of season for many American skaters. It's asking a lot to have skaters recover emotionally and physically from Nationals, travel almost immediately to another competition and deal with jet lags, and then compete well (and not have their skates adversely affect their confidence).
But what was the remedy for this situation this year? Anyone? The argument above mentioned college students as a basis.

The World University Games was already scheduled to be around January 12-16. If we are considering college students, as the post was, you either schedule Nationals from the 4th to 8th or so, which then makes said skaters potentially miss two weeks of school and have those college athletes skate back to back, directly after Nationals. And the junior level skaters would be taking flights right around New Years Day.

The next option would be to put US Nationals the week after the World University Games, January 19-23 or so, which again puts some of those athletes in a situation of missing two weeks of school and skating back-to-back weeks.

Or the World University Games maybe should've been the same week as Nationals? Then you are making certain skaters lose out on a chance at Nationals, and certain judges lose out on judging both events (which the Euros mention is :lol: because how many US judges were actually on Euros panels anyways? ETA- I looked, one person on the technical panel in pairs and one in dance.)

Or, the situation we have here where there was the World University Games, a week break, Nationals, a week break, and then Four Continents.

This was just an unusual year, starting with the holidays being on weekends as-is and having other international competitions to work around. If anything, 4CC could've been scheduled a different week rather than considering switching Nationals, since February is relatively empty anyways. But we don't know what was available in scheduling.

Stephanie

I just checked and the schedule for next year is even worse. 4CC's is in Shanghai (theoretically/hopefully) Jan 29th to February 4th and US nationals is scheduled to end on January 28th. I'm not even sure how this is workable given that the nationals men's event and the gala are usually on Sunday. I believe the competition at 4CC's doesn't normally begin until the Wednesday but this is super tight and tough for everyone, if even doable.

tony

I just checked and the schedule for next year is even worse. 4CC's is in Shanghai (theoretically/hopefully) Jan 29th to February 4th and US nationals is scheduled to end on January 28th. I'm not even sure how this is workable given that the nationals men's event and the gala are usually on Sunday. I believe the competition at 4CC's doesn't normally begin until the Wednesday but this is super tight and tough for everyone, if even doable.

Let's hope the US is banking on China giving up the event, which moves not only the date but the location as well. Because that's a real impossible situation, being on the other end of the globe.

ross_hy

Random thoughts about next year's event:
  • I hope USFS starts working now on getting more people in the stands in Columbus. To me, this year's event just didn't have that Nationals feel - it certainly didn't come across that way on TV at least. If attendance is projected to be low, in addition to closing the upper level, they should also consider turning one of the ends into a mega-kiss & cry, kind of like there was in Espoo.
  • Given that Columbus is a smaller market and maybe not as appealing to out-of-towners, I hope ticket prices are more affordable. I think that if prices are lower, surely more people would be interested in going.
  • I hope they also consider making the junior events either really cheap or even free in some cases to get people in the stands in hopes they'll want to come back through the weekend. School groups during the day would help too.
  • I also agree with the idea to possibly shorten the event by a day somehow to make it easier for people to go. A lot of diehard fans like us will have to decide between this event, Montreal Worlds, the Summer Olympics & trials, any little change would help.
  • Does USFS ever send out surveys or anything like that after the event to gather ideas? As a former attendee and FOFS member, I don't recall ever seeing one.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Does USFS ever send out surveys or anything like that after the event to gather ideas? As a former attendee and FOFS member, I don't recall ever seeing one.
I got one from the SAP center the day after the event ended.

I don't remember one way or another about USFS. I know I've filled out a survey for them but I think it was about the FOFS program, not Nationals.

I can't find the post now but I agree that moving 4CCs is also an option. There is no reason for it to be the first week in Feb. rather than the second.

I will say that USFS is in the minority having their Nationals in when they do. Some NGBs have theirs in Dec. even. I get the impression that the ISU's attitude is that they don't care about accommodating the US if we're going to insist on having our Nationals so much later than most of the rest of the world.

clairecloutier

If that schedule holds for next year's 4CCs, I don't think the U.S. will send a team there. :eek:

I just wonder how it got scheduled that way in the first place. Looking back over the last 10 years, it's pretty much always been in mid-February except during the Olympic seasons, when it happens in late January. So why the schedule change??

I agree with @ross_hy's suggestions about next year's Nationals. Really hope they can get more of an audience next year, because in terms of the crowd, this year's event looked more like a Grand Prix than a Nationals. SAP Center is just too big a venue, I think. It wasn't that full in 2018, either, although the crowd in 2018 was definitely bigger than this year's.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
If that schedule holds for next year's 4CCs, I don't think the U.S. will send a team there. :eek:

I just wonder how it got scheduled that way in the first place. Looking back over the last 10 years, it's pretty much always been in mid-February except during the Olympic seasons, when it happens in late January. So why the schedule change??

I agree with @ross_hy's suggestions about next year's Nationals. Really hope they can get more of an audience next year, because in terms of the crowd, this year's event looked more like a Grand Prix than a Nationals. SAP Center is just too big a venue, I think. It wasn't that full in 2018, either, although the crowd in 2018 was definitely bigger than this year's.
2010 4CC was the week after the second weekend of Nats (that year they split Nats into two weekends for TV). I remember talking to Igor on Saturday night and he was less than thrilled to be flying to South Korea in a day or two.

tony

I don't know how strict USFS is on handing out tickets, but the Nationwide Arena team was out on the streets during the 2002 Hallmark Championship giving free tickets away to fill up the abysmal audience (and that had Yagudin, Hughes, Slutskaya, Butyrskaya, Eldredge, Sale/Pelletier etc). I was in the fifth row for that one, and not much behind me was that full. When I visited Columbus again in 2019, I was having dinner at one of the restaurants right by the arena, and someone walked up to us and handed us tickets to the Pentatonix concert as well, and that was almost sold out.

Columbus is also going to likely be extremely cold during Nationals. Not 2000 Cleveland weather, but nearing that. So I don't know how many locals will either want to be out and about or actually be around downtown to even be offered said free tickets.

Debbie S

Columbus is also going to likely be extremely cold during Nationals. Not 2000 Cleveland weather, but nearing that. So I don't know how many locals will either want to be out and about or actually be around downtown to even be offered said free tickets.
It can't be any colder than Boston or Cleveland. :) 2009 and 2014 were pretty good in terms of attendance (09 probably suffered a bit due to Worlds in L.A. that year) and there were quite a few locals there.

Carolla5501

2018 was the event where someone from the San Jose group told me that "we don't plan to sell weekend packages or single tickets as we know we will sell out with the all event packages" It took every bit of willpower I had not to burst out laughing at him. (Of course that didn't work out the way he planned)

But honestly WHY was San Jose not in Nashville selling tickets? Why wasn't Columbus in San Jose selling tickets? I have actually gone ahead and bought all events in the past because I could select my seat with the people selling tickets and avoid the ticketing fees so even if I couldn't use all the event tickets it still was not a bad deal.

BittyBug

Disgusted
They seem to depend entirely on the local organizing committee to market.
Bingo. I think the issue is that USFS has little skin in the game. LOCs are required to guarantee a minimum amount of revenue to US Figure Skating to win the bid, with profit sharing above that target, so USFS has little incentive to market the event as they get paid no matter what. Of course, if this becomes a pattern they may need to change their tune because no one is going to want to bid on hosting an event.

I will note, however, that it wasn't just San Jose that had empty stands, so did Euros and most of the Grand Prix events. Maybe it's a mix of consumers prioritizing discretionary events after Covid restrictions, plus economic slowdown, plus post-Olympic year saturation.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I will note, however, that it wasn't just San Jose that had empty stands, so did Euros and most of the Grand Prix events. Maybe it's a mix of consumers prioritizing discretionary events after Covid restrictions, plus economic slowdown, plus post-Olympic year saturation.
Also, not everyone is comfortable being in close contact with strangers just yet. I can see people being freaked out about attending an event with thousands of people even if you don't come into direct contact with most of them.

ross_hy

LOCs are required to guarantee a minimum amount of revenue to US Figure Skating to win the bid, with profit sharing above that target, so USFS has little incentive to market the event as they get paid no matter what.

Are skating clubs still involved in the LOCs, or is it more convention & visitor bureau, sports commissions, etc?

Debbie S

Are skating clubs still involved in the LOCs, or is it more convention & visitor bureau, sports commissions, etc?
In most cases now, it's the latter. Some clubs, like the SC of Boston, still have the resources (human and financial) to organize SA, Nats and Worlds.

peibeck

Simply looking
Going back to the dates of the event, I think that also gets tied in with venues hosting the event where they have to work around other scheduled events (hockey, basketball, etc). And while universities may be off the first week in January (the one I worked for was for a long time, then began returning almost immediately after New Years several years ago), the whole Xmas to week after New Years are big weeks for college sports (football and basketball primarily).

For fans, mid-late January are generally going to be a bit better hotel prices than touching on a big holiday like New Years too.

I realize we fans want it all, but sometimes we have to be a little realistic. :lol:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Tickets go on sale April 4 at 10ET. If you sign up for the mailing list there will be a presale on Monday. Still no seat map or information on pricing.

The schedule has also been posted. It’s the same as we had in San Jose.

Last edited:

YukiNieve

Tickets go on sale April 4 at 10ET. If you sign up for the mailing list there will be a presale on Monday. Still no seat map or information on pricing.
They told us that the pre-sale would begin on Sunday this morning and then changed it to Monday. Some of them got the revised date via email and others did not. Confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information