Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

airgelaal

But will the President actually show up? What's the narrative for the Olympic athletes?

All these athletes are just hapless pawns in a never ending, real life Hunger Games.
Why do you think, that all these athletes against it? I am more than sure that many athletes agree with the policy of their country.
I am surprised that many consider the silence of the athletes as an inability to speak out against the war. In my opinion, they are simply afraid of losing their international career. Otherwise, they are satisfied with everything.

Bigbird

Why do you think, that all these athletes against it? I am more than sure that many athletes agree with the policy of their country.
I am surprised that many consider the silence of the athletes as an inability to speak out against the war. In my opinion, they are simply afraid of losing their international career. Otherwise, they are satisfied with everything.
Ambiguous indeed.
Edit: Semenenko's injury looks serious. Any good news?

Last edited:

Rafter

This has got to be the worst fall I’ve ever seen in FS. Worse than some of the pairs ones. His head appeared to hit the ice twice on the initial fall and then he hit his head later on while trying to stand up on a second or third attempt. If I were his parents, I would not allow any more figure skating. But he’s practically an adult so it will be his choice to make I guess

Stephanie

This has got to be the worst fall I’ve ever seen in FS. Worse than some of the pairs ones. His head appeared to hit the ice twice on the initial fall and then he hit his head later on while trying to stand up on a second or third attempt. If I were his parents, I would not allow any more figure skating. But he’s practically an adult so it will be his choice to make I guess
He's studying medicine at university, so he should at least be better placed than most athletes to make this sort of decision

barbk

He's studying medicine at university, so he should at least be better placed than most athletes to make this sort of decision
I hope nobody presses him for any decision anytime soon. (Not suggesting that you're asking for that.)

Poor guy. I'm glad he has good medical care, though a lot may just be watch, wait, and see what he can tolerate in the way of light, movement, sound,...

Trillian

I sincerely hope he recovers to the point that he’s even well enough to consider skating, because that was a bad enough fall that he might not even have the physical capability. But I agree with you, I hope that even if he is recovered, he doesn’t take the risk.

Amy L

Kostiukovich/Briukhanov split. No word on their future plans, she just said that they're going on different paths.

Aleksandr Enbert and his wife Alesya (who was in a Covid ICU ward early on in her pregnancy) had a daughter they named Kristobel. That name is way more avant-garde than anything he ever did as a skater :lol:

hanca

Values her privacy
Kostiukovich/Briukhanov split. No word on their future plans, she just said that they're going on different paths.

Yes, Kostiukovich is paired with Sviatchenko. (Sviatchenko skated with Labazina this last season, but they were not very successful.) Still no news about with whom Briukhanov will skate, but I think he could stay at junior level for another year or two.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Minchuk on team Moskvina's pairs summer plans
`We are working according to the plan, in search for the new programmes ideas, listen to the music and consult with the guys. We will be doing something new, progress and make the guys look different. For now the plan is to change both programmes for both leading teams and the guys are up for it.
We will be working till May 15th, then go to vacation. The season for the leading teams was tough and they need a break. Then we'll go to the training camps. Of course it will be in Russia - Novogorsk, Kislovodsk or Sochi - our federation will decide where do we go'

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Panina's interview with Semenenko's mom

Panina: How is Zhenya and what do the doctors say?
Mom: Thank you, he is better. Yesterday they did the brain and spine tomography. There were no bad bone injures or bleedings. The treating continues, the dynamics is positive. I hope for the best.

Panina: Have you figured with your son or the people who saw it what happened? Many say it was because of the spotlight and the small rink
Mom: There were a lot of version what caused the fall and the injury. When Zhenya will be allowed to talk I guess he'll tell what happened and what caused it. Everyone puts the most important things first. For me it's my child's health and all the talk about the organization and the show technicalities - not now. Now Zhenya's health is important.

Panina: After that evening there was a wave of support for Zhenya. The internet was bursting with the comments. Were you called and written to? Did you expect such a warm reaction?
Mom: it's a really nice question to answer. The support, the warmth is important for Zhenya now. Since he was hospitalized he gets sweets, fruits and presents every day. It' really touching all that attention from the people we don't even know. We got a lot of words of support from Mishin, Mishina, Prokof'eva, the federation, the coaches, choreographers and skaters from St. Petersburg and Moscow , the school 606. We were offered help by the Uni where Zhenya studies, got warm words of support from the dean, the lecturers and his university friends. There were a lot of calls and messages from the family all wishing a fast recovery. And of course the fans from all over the world. I can't reply all these messages, but we are so grateful, that support is really important and really helps. Thank you so much!

Panina: where do you get the energy to help your child with all the hardships and let them remain in that sport despite everything?
Mom: Any sport is injuries prone, Zhenya was injured before, especially when he was 14-15 and this season in Skate Canada, but never so badly. I'm still horrified watching the video from that show. Figure skating was always Zhenya's decision and we try to support him. Frankly, when he was 14-15 I was against, but he insisted and kept skating, though it was tough. There are hard times for everyone and Zhenya is going through one now, but I'm sure he'll overcome it.

Panina: How did Zhenya change during the Olympic season? How much did he grow up?
Mom: The season was tough and it made Zhenya stronger. I now listen to his advice.

hanca

Values her privacy
Yes, Kostiukovich is paired with Sviatchenko. (Sviatchenko skated with Labazina this last season, but they were not very successful.) Still no news about with whom Briukhanov will skate, but I think he could stay at junior level for another year or two.
Quoting myself, it seems that Kostiukovich/Sviatchenko did not work out, because another gossip says that Sviatchenko went to Sochi to skate with Marie Pavlova. She was skating for Hungary. I wonder if she already received citizenship. If she did, Pavlova/Sviatchenko could skate for Hungary.

Sylvia

TBD
Quoting myself, it seems that Kostiukovich/Sviatchenko did not work out, because another gossip says that Sviatchenko went to Sochi to skate with Marie Pavlova. She was skating for Hungary. I wonder if she already received citizenship. If she did, Pavlova/Sviatchenko could skate for Hungary.
Maria Pavlova obtained Hungarian citizenship back in February, according to this post of hers: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZuQ8oHI-N8/

Vagabond

Tatyana Mishina and some of her students, including Tuktamysheva and Kolyada, are going to a training camp in Armenia at the end of April.

Mishina says that some of her students may compete in next year's Armenian championships.

Meanwhile, Mark Kondratiuk has been practing a quintuple salchow in a harness.

Russians observe Christmas and Easter on different dates from people in the West. Perhaps they observe April Fools' Day on a different date too. :unsure:

Spun Silver

hanca

Values her privacy
For those who liked Kostiukovich, interview with her explaining why Kostiukovich/Briukhanov split up. She also speaks about her previous partnership, why it broke up (Kostiukovich/Ialin). She will find it hard to find a new partner, in my view, because she was struggling with jumps, though I would compare her jumps to Iliuschetchkina and she managed too. She said she would be happy to skate for another country. (Not surprising, if her federation stopped counting with her.)

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Mean while the olympic medalists are in Kremlin. There are videos of Trusova and Tarasova. As far as I understand the medalists are not meeting with Putin, that's for the winners.
Interesting that Scherbakova had been doing the shows while all the team event `winnters' were quarantining.

reut

Mean while the olympic medalists are in Kremlin. There are videos of Trusova and Tarasova. As far as I understand the medalists are not meeting with Putin, that's for the winners.
It's silver and bronze medallists, they are getting awarded with smth:

Gleikh and Dudakov are there, Tutberidze is not?

Upd: I guess it's silver or bronze "who don't have gold", hence Mishina/Gallaymov are not there?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

reut

Anna is indeed not there:

Wow... I'm impressed. (I think some other gold medallists are missing too, russia had more gold medals, no?)

clairecloutier

Anna is indeed not there:

Wow... I'm impressed. (I think some other gold medallists are missing too, russia had more gold medals, no?)

And also T/M and Kondratiuk are not there, I guess. (Don't remember the criteria for this "honor".)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information