Lubov and Dylan - Wowza!

nimi

do we have any updates on Luba's citizenship status?
In the interview with Ted Flett (link on previous page) they said they expect to get it soon, or something to that effect.

Finally got around watching the interview yesterday. Luba explaining how she must focus on not focusing on her sbs jumps too much made me hopeful for this season. If her jump issues are "just" psychological and she already knows the right approach and it's working when she manages to apply it in practice... Fingers crossed!

angi

I felt like this really wasn't their competition and that they were a bit underscored (maybe more than a bit). And can someone tell why their combination spin in the end of the LP was marked as invalid?

shan

I felt like this really wasn't their competition and that they were a bit underscored (maybe more than a bit). And can someone tell why their combination spin in the end of the LP was marked as invalid?

I saw the score before I watched the LP and expected it to be really rough. But it wasn't that bad, definitely not perfect, but the score seemed low to me too. I'm no expert, so I'm sure there's something that I'm missing.

Debbie S

Did Dylan put his free foot down on the ice? But that would have just decreased the level (I think?), not caused it to be invalid. Although I admit that I'm usually not up to date on scoring rule changes.

angi

Did Dylan put his free foot down on the ice? But that would have just decreased the level (I think?), not caused it to be invalid. Although I admit that I'm usually not up to date on scoring rule changes.
Yeah that what I thought I saw too, along with maybe not holding the second position long enough, but like you I though it will be resulted in a level drop and not the complete invalidation of the element... I wish they would have had an explanation for it in the protocols...

barbarafan

yes they were underscored..but it was also that K/S and P/J were overscored in the PCS. When I saw marks & factual comment on their LP the dble from Dylan & slight 2ft from Luba & bit of a rough land on the 3twist and a foot touch on 2nd throw I was reluctant to hunt for a vid...I finally did and it was supremely beautiful and those mistakes looked like very slight flaws which did not interrupt the flow of the program so either their PCS were marked down or K/S should have gotten 6's. Three falls - 2 splats - 2 lifts -1 abnormal exit and 1 came right down and in both the short and long Fedor is not catching Ksenia in the triple twist...he puts his hands on her waist but is not stopping her. Reputation scoring has reached an alltime low.I have no idea what I/M did on the couple spin to make it invalid.

angi

I don't have an issue with S/K PCS score to be honest - they are phenomenal skaters and up until the problems they were quite sharp. Also I/M PCS score was very close to what they got at Worlds so I think their PCS score was also ok. But I/M really suffered in GOEs for things they are usually good at like SBS spin and of course their lifts - this is where I feel they were underscored both in the short and in the free.

barbarafan

I don't have an issue with S/K PCS score to be honest - they are phenomenal skaters and up until the problems they were quite sharp. Also I/M PCS score was very close to what they got at Worlds so I think their PCS score was also ok. But I/M really suffered in GOEs for things they are usually good at like SBS spin and of course their lifts - this is where I feel they were underscored both in the short and in the free.

They were really marked down by the chinese judge and german judge in the short program. As well their throw in the short was really big and landed perfectly but was marked below S/K's throw which was a little tiny throw.

aliceanne

They need to get rid of that FS ASAP. The music is very one-note and drones on in the background. It invites neither eye-contact nor expressions of emotion. Even their choreographer seemed at a loss as to what to do with it.

Any of their old FS would be better.

angi

I tend to agree regarding their FS, it's way too generic for an olympic season, I was really surprised by it and not in a good way.

nimi

And can someone tell why their combination spin in the end of the LP was marked as invalid?
I think I spotted the problem when I watched the spin in 0.25 speed. Here: https://youtu.be/SIceXqnp-Aw?t=4m58s (you can change the speed by clicking the "settings" symbol on the right hand corner)

When they change legs, Dylan uses a bit too much force when he pulls her in and her skate is lifted from the ice for a tiny moment (at least it looks like that to me). I'd have to check but I think in pairs combo spin you have to do a min number of revolutions (2?) on each leg to get credit for even level base? And if the woman's skate is lifted off the ice, which happens quite easily due to the big difference in body mass the partners typically have, technically the spin turns into a lift that very moment -- i.e. the spin ends there, as far as the tech panel is concerned.

I think James/Cipres had this same thing happen to them in a GP once (maybe in France 2 years ago?) and IIRC they basically missed the GPF that season because of that one invalidated spin...

honey

After a couple of rewatches, I like their long program. It's going to develop into something really great I think. I didn't love the choice at first but it's really growing on me.

Interesting comments from TSL last night, where Dave said he'd spoken to Sandra Bezic who told him that the story of this program is about a couple sitting at a bar. He wants to keep the relationship going and she has moved on, but keeps toying with him about whether she's really done. Oh, and Sandra wanted him in jeans for this, which I'd be all for if they want to change up the costumes :smokin:.

barbarafan

After a couple of rewatches, I like their long program. It's going to develop into something really great I think. I didn't love the choice at first but it's really growing on me.

Interesting comments from TSL last night, where Dave said he'd spoken to Sandra Bezic who told him that the story of this program is about a couple sitting at a bar. He wants to keep the relationship going and she has moved on, but keeps toying with him about whether she's really done. Oh, and Sandra wanted him in jeans for this, which I'd be all for if they want to change up the costumes :smokin:.

I am in shock..I just watched TSL and Dave was not nasty insulting nor horrible about I/M...I am also surprised that Sandra Bezic even spoke with him after the things he said after Cdn's last year...He only made nice comments. Not sure what is up but I do appreciate it.

aliceanne

Yeah, Dave mentioned that apparently this music + a scene from Family Ties with Michael J. Fox is an iconic moment for fans of that 80's show. I didn't watch the show, and I can't get past how that song seems like a dirge. I don't know whether international judges will make the connection.

I also don't see much connection between Lubov/Dylan, which is usually the selling point of their programs.

Skate Talker

I also don't see much connection between Lubov/Dylan, which is usually the selling point of their programs.
This was my impression also. They seemed to be really rushing through the program. I hope they get back to the magical connection as they get used to the choreography.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information