Canadian Ice Dance 2016-17 season news & updates

jmtfti

They were not included in the roster provided in the High Performance Camp press release.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Looks like our fears were well founded... My French is not up to much, can anyone translate?

https://www.facebook.com/paradisouellettedance/posts/1116238015122304

I clicked on the automatic facebook translation, but indeed Paradise/Ouellette announce their split. They took some months of vacation to heal some wounds and consider their future and decided to end their partnership. They thank everyone and say there are no hard feelings between them. They say we'll see them again on the ice (so maybe looking for other partners?)

Still, :wuzrobbed

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I can take a go at it:

Hi everyone,
We've been very quiet since the end of the season because, as many of you know, we took a few months' vacation to recover from injuries, take some time to ourselves, and also to think about our future. This break was more than necessary, and was very beneficial to us both.

We are writing today to let you know about a decision that we have made in the last few weeks, and one which was very difficult: we are putting and end to our on-ice partnership. There are no hard feelings between us, and we are particularly proud of everything that we accomplished as a team over the years.

We would like to thank those close to us, our family and friends, as well as all who have followed us, for the incredible support you have given us since the beginning. You saw us climb the ranks all the way to participating in the World Championships; know that your encouragement helped us to get through the most difficult moments. Reading your messages always filled us with pride.

Thank you to our coaching team. Marie-France, Patrice, Pascal, Romain, Daria, Ginette, Angela, Catherine, Paul, Scotty : THANK YOU. Thanks also to Patinage Québec and Skate Canada for believing in us and allowing us to have these amazing experiences all over the world.

Don't worry, you will still see us in the arenas*, this isn't a goodbye.

*This bit is a little ambiguous to me; like @levineismine , I'm not really sure what they mean by this.

Moustaffask8r

I can take a go at it:

Hi everyone,
We've been very quiet since the end of the season because, as many of you know, we took a few months' vacation to recover from injuries, take some time to ourselves, and also to think about our future. This break was more than necessary, and was very beneficial to us both.

We are writing today to let you know about a decision that we have made in the last few weeks, and one which was very difficult: we are putting and end to our on-ice partnership. There are no hard feelings between us, and we are particularly proud of everything that we accomplished as a team over the years.

We would like to thank those close to us, our family and friends, as well as all who have followed us, for the incredible support you have given us since the beginning. You saw us climb the ranks all the way to participating in the World Championships; know that your encouragement helped us to get through the most difficult moments. Reading your messages always filled us with pride.

Thank you to our coaching team. Marie-France, Patrice, Pascal, Romain, Daria, Ginette, Angela, Catherine, Paul, Scotty : THANK YOU. Thanks also to Patinage Québec and Skate Canada for believing in us and allowing us to have these amazing experiences all over the world.

Don't worry, you will still see us in the arenas*, this isn't a goodbye.

*This bit is a little ambiguous to me; like @levineismine , I'm not really sure what they mean by this.
They are both coaching I think so maybe they're not out of the skating world

barbarafan

I clicked on the automatic facebook translation, but indeed Paradise/Ouellette announce their split. They took some months of vacation to heal some wounds and consider their future and decided to end their partnership. They thank everyone and say there are no hard feelings between them. They say we'll see them again on the ice (so maybe looking for other partners?)

Still, :wuzrobbed

They actually said in the arena's not on the ice so they just might mean spectator.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Not happy either. The canadian ice dance field which is often describes as deep by many is just melting away. Who's left to follow when V/M and W/P retire after 2018 ??? I can't see W/P going for yet another round.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Not really, but would V/M and W/P considering their age and the fact they've been competing for three cycles already go on for another one ? I don't think so, but it's speculation on my part.
Have any of them said they will retire?

mirage

Not happy either. The canadian ice dance field which is often describes as deep by many is just melting away. Who's left to follow when V/M and W/P retire after 2018 ??? I can't see W/P going for yet another round.

Well G/P will stay in since they will then be Canada # 1

barbarafan

I'm having a hard time picturing this. I know it's likely, but I'm finding it difficult nonetheless. Piper has personality, and they aren't soft & flowy. But oh, I am going to miss Kaitlyn & Andrew!
There are very promising young ones coming up in novice and some of the juniors are really good as well...off the top of my head in the who is left in seniors I like Shane Firus and his new partner.

jenji124

Not really, but would V/M and W/P considering their age and the fact they've been competing for three cycles already go on for another one ? I don't think so, but it's speculation on my part.

They might as well stay because it's not like there are many left to challenge for Olympic spots.

Last edited:

Susan M

:( This has been a really miserable off-season for Canadian dance fans. So many enjoyable teams moving on to other things.

(Disclaimer: I am not Canadian or a particular fan of any of these teams.)

I just dropped in on this thread to learn what's going on in Canadian ice dance. After reading over the last several pages of posts, I am curious about the lack of any discussion of Gilles/Poirier.

Gillies/Poirier were 2nd and 3rd in their two GP events last year and 8th at Worlds (2nd Canadian team). Meanwhile Paradis/Ouellette did not reach the final at Worlds (23rd after the SD). Watching from the outside, a FNR at their first worlds does not speak of team likely to win it all some day, yet folks talk like they had more potential to eventually challenge for the podium than G/P.

I'm obviously missing something. Is simply that they are younger or is it more likely new toy syndrome? I know Poirier has been skating at the senior level for years, but he is still not yet 25 years old (born Nov 6, 1991 according to the ISU - only about a year older than P/O). Are you assuming G/P will not be competing after 2018 or just written them off based on talent/performance/whatever?

mirage

I just dropped in on this thread to learn what's going on in Canadian ice dance. After reading over the last several pages of posts, I am curious about the lack of any discussion of Gilles/Poirier.

Gillies/Poirier were 2nd and 3rd in their two GP events last year and 8th at Worlds (2nd Canadian team). Meanwhile Paradis/Ouellette did not reach the final at Worlds (23rd after the SD). Watching from the outside, a FNR at their first worlds does not speak of team likely to win it all some day, yet folks talk like they had more potential to eventually challenge for the podium than G/P.

I'm obviously missing something. Is simply that they are younger or is it more likely new toy syndrome? I know Poirier has been skating at the senior level for years, but he is still not yet 25 years old (born Nov 6, 1991 according to the ISU - only about a year older than P/O). Are you assuming G/P will not be competing after 2018 or just written them off based on talent/performance/whatever?

mirage

There is just not that much to say!

VGThuy

I think people aren't talking much about G/P in the last few pages because they are still competing and will look like they will continue to do so till 2022. The sadness of promising ice dance teams with loads of potential splitting up/retiring is being talked about because it doesn't look good for Skate Canada and how they're not ensuring teams can survive while not being in the top four/five for a few years. And it makes one wonder about the future of Canadian ice dance, and it's always sad when teams/skaters that hit a chord for people and have untapped potential don't last.

mirage

G/P first finish at Worlds was 18th. Not that much different than P/O who did not have a good outing.
GP event results are somewhat the luck of the draw of entries. G/P had pretty favorable draws.

P/O just seemed to engage people more than G/P.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I find G/P very engaging, but I'd still sad that P/O split.

We've had so many promising novice -> junior teams in BC, from the school of Wing/Lowe, but between injuries and kids going off to college, we seem to get two-three splits a year :fragile:

Debrah

Well, all is not lost even with these past retirements since there are several talented teams waiting in the wings that will likely step things up a great deal and come into their own during the next winter games cycle - Gilles/Poirier, Paul/Islam, Soucisse/Firus and whoever M. Bent is dancing with in 2019 for example, being some possible cream likely rising to the top and a few other team's presently cooking under the radar. Plus, don't completely count out a possible return in 2019 from Paradis/Ouellete just yet, 1 or both might decide to dance back in if Virtue/Moir or Weaver/Poje do decide to retire after this Oly cycle, anything is still possible once the 2022 games competitive landscape and one's own chances to fit into it and become funded becomes better known.

chantilly

I remember about two seasons ago when Paradis and Oulette had their break through year at Skate America, Tracy Wilson mentioned that they had considered retiring the year before but the love of skating brought them back.
They are also not super young. They would have to hang in there for six years to make another Olympic cycle. And at least three if they were to likely make the Canadian team.
I'm guessing they decided their hearts just weren't in it for the long haul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information