What do I wear? (Electric Boogaloo)

Spun Silver

A matched suit on a woman is a huge no at ANY time.
Our financial adviser gets away with it, but they are pantsuits (menswear type, not Hillary type). And black or gray at that. She has a very relaxed, tailored style. Her hair is long, and she wears flats and shirts that are open at the collar. Little or no jewelry or makeup. Very low key. And she is quite senior. I hope I haven't just given away her identity. ETA: Removed the name of the bank!

Anita18

It depends!
My shopaholic aunt LOVED to find bargains of any clothing type and donate them to us, and a lot of the work clothes were perfectly matched suits and I always thought they were :scream: Especially in a weird color like salmon. I am in no teknik in fashion, but NO.

And shoulder pads. I have broad shoulders to begin with, and always took the pads out.
Oh yeah, a lot of those suits still had shoulder pads in them too. I have pretty broad shoulders for my otherwise tiny frame, so it was doubly NO.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I wouldn't quite go that far. When our company exhibits at HIMSS, a big healthcare conference, we go the matched suit route. I bring two suits for 4 days... all black one day, all gray next day, half and half day 3, reverse for day 4. Other than the hired models that lure men to various booths, all of the other women do the same. I sure beats 20 years ago when I was forced to wear a men's size medium polo and pleated khaki pants. I looked ridiculous, but it never occurred to the marketing people until after they saw the pictures. They ordered women's sizes for the next year and let us wear black pants. Much better, but not as sharp as the suit.

Anita18

It depends!
I wouldn't quite go that far. When our company exhibits at HIMSS, a big healthcare conference, we go the matched suit route. I bring two suits for 4 days... all black one day, all gray next day, half and half day 3, reverse for day 4. Other than the hired models that lure men to various booths, all of the other women do the same. I sure beats 20 years ago when I was forced to wear a men's size medium polo and pleated khaki pants. I looked ridiculous, but it never occurred to the marketing people until after they saw the pictures. They ordered women's sizes for the next year and let us wear black pants. Much better, but not as sharp as the suit.
I think if it's black or gray, it's fine. It's when it goes weird colors (like salmon...) that it looks odd.

OT (a little), but you do HIMSS? I was thinking of attending that, but I've set aside my healthcare plans for the time being while I get more experience in other fields. Fields that hire junior-level designers. :p I do want to move back into healthcare eventually, though!

quartz

scratching at the light
I'm fine with mismatched...I just think when you wear the jacket and the matching pant/skirt it is boring and lacks imagination. But remember, I am not a professional. Lower class has it's advantages in that I can wear a black lace blouse with a silver sparkle cami and faded denim jacket and jeans with a funky scarf and cute boots to work. And purple eyeshadow and my classic bed head hair do!
Dress codes are not fun. :drama:

J-Ro

I suggest a suit but with pants. I see women all over New York and Boston wearing this. And if you go with pants, make sure they are hemmed to the proper length.

Here are some other things to consider because it's your total look that counts:

1. Fit and quality are important. Make sure whatever you choose fits your shape well and is neither too tight nor too loose. Quality is related to fit. I'm not saying that you need to buy Chanel. However, Ann Taylor and Talbots are good places to start for professional clothing. Take a cue from their web sites or catalogs. Avoid places like H&M and New York & Company even if they're advertising similar looks. The quality isn't there. It looks cheap.

2. Shoes are important. Like clothing, make sure your shoes aren't of cheap quality and that they are suited to your outfit. Just as with clothing, I'm not saying you need to buy Jimmy Choo, but a brand like Nine West is a good place to start. The wrong shoes will kill an outfit.

3. Hair. Make sure it's neat. If you need a trim and a color touch-up, do it before the interview. Sounds obvious, but you'd be amazed how some people show up for an interview.

J-Ro

Well, not sure where you are or what your like of work is, but a suit is most definitely appropriate for an interview. It is still the norm for women in the business world of New York and Boston. Suits are still what you wear. The details are different, though, than they were years ago. A suit need not be stuffy.

Last edited:

J-Ro

I'm fine with mismatched...I just think when you wear the jacket and the matching pant/skirt it is boring and lacks imagination. But remember, I am not a professional. Lower class has it's advantages in that I can wear a black lace blouse with a silver sparkle cami and faded denim jacket and jeans with a funky scarf and cute boots to work. And purple eyeshadow and my classic bed head hair do!
Dress codes are not fun. :drama:

It's what you do WITH the dress code. There are lots of options. It all depends on the job. In the professional world, a suit is still the norm, whether it be a skirt suit or pant suit. But the details such as jewelry, top, shoes, and yes, funky scarves, and hair can be pretty open. You always want to dress better for the interview than you might end up dressing for the actual job. If you were to wear the outfit you are describing for an interview, you wouldn't be invited back. Don't forget: the interview is a test of sorts. What you wear for work on a daily basis may be different.

Last edited:

J-Ro

Totally agree. My last workplace had a clothing policy that banned open toed shoes but mentioned nothing about ridiculously high heels. We had women who would end up tripping over at work because of their heels.

I would say no heels or a heel no higher than a couple of inches. Stylish but sensible footwear is much more professional.
Yes. Use the 3-inch rule for heels. Wear a nice pump but no stilettos. Leave the Louboutins at home! Also, a chunkier heel is better than a spiky one. Not only are they easier to walk in, but you won't look like a fashion victim.

J-Ro

Not to paint with too broad a brush stroke, but people who work in city agencies are not very fashion forward. I think you're overthinking it. They are more concerned with checking demographic boxes than what people look like. Wear what suits you. But it's always appropriate to dress up a little bit for an interview, in a tailored way. JMO.
But you still need to look put-together. What if there are two applicants of equal qualifications in the same demographic box? Might as well give yourself an edge and look good.

J-Ro

FWIW, I'd say no matched suits of any color on an interview unless you are in banking, law, or are looking at a VP or C level position in a traditional industry.
It depends on the fabric and the color. Don't forget that fabrics also come in levels of formality. It would seem that dark silk or fine Italian wool would be too much for this particular position, but a knobby texture in a fun color would certainly be appropriate. Suits need not be sober.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
FWIW, I'd say no matched suits of any color on an interview unless you are in banking, law, or are looking at a VP or C level position in a traditional industry.
Totally true. DCis as conservative as it gets and the only women still wearing skirt suits are members of congress and those working for very old fashioned law or lobbying firms. The techies look like what I look like on Saturday. :p

the civil service are dowdy, not dressy.

Dress and blazer or pants, blouse and blazer are appropriate. Low heeled wedge shoes say professional and I-can-run.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
But you still need to look put-together. What if there are two applicants of equal qualifications in the same demographic box? Might as well give yourself an edge and look good.
Have to be careful there, too, and do your homework. The people interviewing in my city just outside of Boston aren't making 6 figure salaries. Most of the managers are just a shade above paycheck to paycheck and come from working class or lower middle class backgrounds. I always try to wear something that fits in so I don't get started off looking snooty or looking like I'm applying for a job way above the interviewers pay grade. Homework is key.

J-Ro

Have to be careful there, too, and do your homework. The people interviewing in my city just outside of Boston aren't making 6 figure salaries. Most of the managers are just a shade above paycheck to paycheck and come from working class or lower middle class backgrounds. I always try to wear something that fits in so I don't get started off looking snooty or looking like I'm applying for a job way above the interviewers pay grade. Homework is key.
Exactly. But you can still look appropriate without breaking the bank or looking cheap. And yes, homework is key.

J-Ro

My shopaholic aunt LOVED to find bargains of any clothing type and donate them to us, and a lot of the work clothes were perfectly matched suits and I always thought they were :scream: Especially in a weird color like salmon. I am in no teknik in fashion, but NO.

Oh yeah, a lot of those suits still had shoulder pads in them too. I have pretty broad shoulders for my otherwise tiny frame, so it was doubly NO.
But those are out of style and 30 years old. There are updated matching suits in a variety of styles and colors. You can't just say no to the idea of a suit based on the Joan Collins look of the '80s. Look at modern suits. They are completely different.

AndyWarhol

…. Sounds obvious, but you'd be amazed how some people show up for an interview.

I cannot believe how some people that I have interviewed has presented themselves. One woman came in her yoga gear - leggings and a crop top. I've had another in blue jeans and a slouchy jumper. The position was a marking assistant for a fashion label. (neither were hired)

It's what you do WITH the dress code. There are lots of options. It all depends on the job. In the professional world, a suit is still the norm, whether it be a skirt suit or pant suit. But the details such as jewelry, top, shoes, and yes, funky scarves, and hair can be pretty open. You always want to dress better for the interview than you might end up dressing for the actual job. If you were to wear the outfit you are describing for an interview, you wouldn't be invited back. Don't forget: the interview is a test of sorts. What you wear for work on a daily basis may be different.

I think a suit can still be cute. In my younger years working in the corporate world I wore a suit every day and I did not look dowdy or from the 80s haha.
I also teamed it with very scandalous stilettos! :drama:

Spun Silver

Yeah... but in the civil service you run the risk of showing up looking better than your would-be boss. And that would not necessarily be a good thing. Like PR Lady says, they're dowdy. I was too chicken to say that but it was what I had written before I edited my post.

quartz

scratching at the light
I live in a lunch bucket blue collar area. Any woman that shows up in a matching suit is a visitor. And I still find suits unattractive regardless of fabric, or fancy designer or accessories. They also look uncomfortable, and I am so glad I don't have to wear one. Even the professional men around here rarely wear suits, mostly sports jackets and a very occasionally a tie.
As for fashion, I really don't pay too much attention. I prefer my own style. :glamor:

J-Ro

I live in a lunch bucket blue collar area. Any woman that shows up in a matching suit is a visitor. And I still find suits unattractive regardless of fabric, or fancy designer or accessories. They also look uncomfortable, and I am so glad I don't have to wear one. Even the professional men around here rarely wear suits, mostly sports jackets and a very occasionally a tie.
As for fashion, I really don't pay too much attention. I prefer my own style. :glamor:
Right. But when clothes of any style fit properly, they are not uncomfortable. And for the most part, self-expression with respect to clothing is limited at a job. What you wear on and off the job are two different things. It is indeed possible to express your own style within a dress code. You can wear lace. You can wear sparkly things. It's just more subtle. Ever watch "What Not to Wear" when it was on?

J-Ro

Yeah... but in the civil service you run the risk of showing up looking better than your would-be boss. And that would not necessarily be a good thing. Like PR Lady says, they're dowdy. I was too chicken to say that but it was what I had written before I edited my post.
This is where the "homework" part comes in, as someone else suggested. You can look put-together without being obsessive about it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

If you still have them, you could take the shoulder pads out of the jackets and do some mix and matching. Like a gray jacket with more colorful skirt or pants.

J-Ro

If you still have them, you could take the shoulder pads out of the jackets and do some mix and matching. Like a gray jacket with more colorful skirt or pants.
Oh, dear, no. The styles have changed completely. If you take the shoulder pads out, then the jacket won't hang right. Unless you're a tailor, trying to recycle 30-year old clothes is probably a fail.

Anita18

It depends!
Oh, dear, no. The styles have changed completely. If you take the shoulder pads out, then the jacket won't hang right. Unless you're a tailor, trying to recycle 30-year old clothes is probably a fail.
They're not THAT old, but yeah, that's totally what would happen, considering the fit when I tried them on. They would overshoot my shoulders by an inch or two. And they weren't that awesome to keep and tailor.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Totally true. DCis as conservative as it gets and the only women still wearing skirt suits are members of congress and those working for very old fashioned law or lobbying firms. The techies look like what I look like on Saturday. :p

the civil service are dowdy, not dressy

Tell me about it. I love DC, but I stick out like a sore thumb walking down 17th weekday mornings. I can't bear to wear sneakers and a dress skirt on my commute like I see the DC business women do. :scream:

ITA that a matching suit is a bit out of vogue; it's quite acceptable to mix and match a blazer with a different pant, skirt, dress, etc.

J-Ro

My point about the suit is that a suit does not need to be uptight and frumpy. It can be fun with funky colors, shoes, and accessories.

That aside, here's another idea: a wrap dress (or faux wrap dress), which looks good on every body type, and a complementary cardigan with nice shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information