Adelina Sotnikova uber thread

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Granted, I'm out of touch, but this girl came out of left field didn't she? Makes you wonder why the Russians hung their hat on Lipnitskaia for the team competition. Maybe it was to keep Sotnikova fresh for the individual competition?

Hardly. :lol: She's been Russian national champion multiple times starting at age 12. She just moved up to seniors 2 years ago. I was very annoyed when the Russian fed let Julia do both programs in the team event, especially since Adelina has a strong SP, but in some ways it may have been the best thing for her since all the attention on Julia lifted all the attention from Adelina I like them both and I'd like for one of them to be on the podium after the free. I want the other two spots to go elsewhere.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Granted, I'm out of touch, but this girl came out of left field didn't she? Makes you wonder why the Russians hung their hat on Lipnitskaia for the team competition. Maybe it was to keep Sotnikova fresh for the individual competition?

It's not like they did not want Adelina to skate in the TE, but they did not want the same ice dance team to skate both SD & FD. Neither of their dance teams could be trusted to skate well if they skated both dances. Julia had been consistent throughout, and she was more reliable than either dance team. As per rules they could subsitute in only two disciplines, and V&T did not want to skate the LP (good decision), so pairs had to be split. By default it came down to either Adelina or Julia skating both programs and Julia was much more consistent. In the end it seems that time off worked out for Adelina.

liv

Well done, Sotnikova. She really did a great job and brought her A short today. Hope she can keep it together in her long and do herself proud.

Johnny_Fever

Time and time again, these competitions turn into simple mind games. Whomever comes from behind, and has no pressure on them, has the advantage. The exception to the rule would be someone like Yuna Kim, who can be under enormous pressure and still perform.

DELTA

I hope she can repeat this type of performance in the long :cheer2:

Adelina's LP is her Achilles heel. Remember GPF? She was second but ended up 5th. I hope she doesn't go for 3lutz/3loop cause he never land 2nd jump cleanly.

LuckyCharm

I love her attitude, skating skills and beautiful jumps. Hope she can pull off a strong LP tomorrow.:cheer2:

DaiKozOda

Fantastic performance by Adelina. Congrats.
Right now I would just like to see the faces of all of those that said that Adelina was such a headcase that she would never make it in big competitions. By the way, I would also like to see the yellow smiles of those who said Carolina didn't have it in her to make it to the OG podium. Well done girls.

kuzytalent

Banned Member
She definitely wins a gold medal for the biggest thrash and disgrace in skating history. I hope her fans enjoy her being the most ridiculed skater in skating history in the coming years.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
She definitely wins a gold medal for the biggest thrash and disgrace in skating history. I hope her fans enjoy her being the most ridiculed skater in skating history in the coming years.

Many congratulations Adelina :cheer2::biggrinbo:cheer2::biggrinbo:cheer2:

A superb and well deserved win. Absolutely thrilled.

kuzytalent - you are a complete toe head and a total idiot.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Fantastic performance by Adelina. Congrats.
Right now I would just like to see the faces of all of those that said that Adelina was such a headcase that she would never make it in big competitions.

I thought she was -- I was wrong. I liked her, but I had no expectations of her at all. But she had what it took in the end. :respec:

mrinalini

kuzytalent - you are a complete toe head and a total idiot.

Hear, hear!

I remember predicting that Adelina would win the gold in Sochi a few years ago. Of course, I also thought at that time that Kim wouldn't be around by then, and when it turned out that Kim would be, I was convinced that Kim would be unbeatable, so that's it for me as far as predictions go. :shuffle: This time I'm happy to be proven wrong, though. :)

I'm not in teknik, but to me the quality of Adelina's jumps were on par with Kim's, and it's obvious that Adelina's technical content was more difficult. Kim won out on PCS, didn't she? So Adelina won outright based on TES, and deservedly so. She also skated with a whole lot more fire and intensity than Kim, so it just feels right that she did win.

Congrats, Adelina! Russia's first ever OGM in ladies' singles skating! Woohoo!

MrLucky

Wow Adelina what a great performance!

And wow to Yuna and Carolina too! And what a great LP from Mao!

Now that it is over I say, "Long Live the Czarina" :encore:

gk_891

Adelina PCS: 74.41
Yuna PCS: 74.60

Are you freaking kidding me

Congrats to Adelina but this margin between the two skaters (not to mention Kostner) is ridiculous. Adelina's PCS should be significantly lower IMO. Oh well, what can one do. Such is the nature of the sport and the judges obviously saw something in Adelina both yesterday and today that they hadn't seen before.

Dr.Siouxs

“She’s not as aesthetically pleasing to watch as Yu-na Kim or Carolina Kostner, but looking through all the criteria, she answers every one of them,” said Scott Hamilton, the 1984 Olympic champion. “It has truly become a numbers game, and you’ve got to make sure everything is accounted for.”

With her victory, our sport has taken three steps backwards.

NadineWhite

CONGRATULATIONS TO RUSSIA'S 1ST EVER LADIES OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST *ADELINA SOTNIKOVA*:kickass::cheer2::cheer:

She's been my favorite out of the Russian women since I first saw her years ago. Finally, she realizes her potential (not full yet b/c she has LOTS more to give) on the biggest stage in the world. :hat1: I knew it was going to be tight, but her tech. rightfully blew everybody else away.

Reminds me of one of my all-time favorites (aka Sarah Hughes) win in 2002, though Sarah skated perfectly whereas Adelina had one minor bobble on the 3/2/2 combo. No biggie. They also both had the very very rare distinction of winning the big ONE on home ice, even harder to do in front of one's country! :respec:

Just goes to show one it's anybody's game. Same as Tara in 1998, Oksana in 1994, Max in 2013... :)

MrLucky

With her victory, our sport has taken three steps backwards.

and what will happen to the sport when Adelina wins a second OGM in 2018? :)
Heck, Adelina is young enough and talented enough to even try for three Olympics.

I was pretty sure when Adelina finished her LP that she had done enough to win. And I thought Carolina was amazing but Adelina had a big tech advantage over her.

Under 6.0 Carolina probably would have won for such beautifully skated programs.

Behold the new Golden girl at the flower ceremony.

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/ladi...-competition-free-skate-1392901211-slideshow/

Last edited:

crs

Lol. Scott is such an idiot,

Scott keeps FORGETTING how he WON his OGM with one of the WORST SKATES in olys hystory(scott said it was a good thing the JUDGES remeber who he was lol!) Guess he doesn't think men figure skating took *three steps backwards* when the JUDGES GIFTED HIM with a Gold Medal for his MEDIOCRE OLYS skate lol!:D Really,he has no business criticizing anyone. They are already sucking up to South Korea lol!

Last edited:

Polaris

Heck, Adelina is young enough and talented enough to even try for three Olympics.

I was pretty sure when Adelina finished her LP that she had done enough to win. And I thought Carolina was amazing but Adelina had a big tech advantage over her.

Under 6.0 Carolina probably would have won for such beautifully skated programs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/ladi...-competition-free-skate-1392901211-slideshow/

Olympics 2018 is in Pyeongchang.

DELTA

Adelina wants to quit at 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information