PDA

View Full Version : PyeongChang 2018 Logo Unvelied

Pages : [1] 2

allezfred
05-03-2013, 10:52 AM
I hope nobody was paid to "design" it. (http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/future_olympic_games/1216136595.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook)

:rofl:

Zemgirl
05-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Blah, but still not as bad as London 2012.

What was the last really good Olympic logo, anyway?

Whitneyskates
05-03-2013, 12:32 PM
I really liked Athens 's logo and tend to think of it as the last great Olympic logo. Beijing and Torino's were ok, but I didn't really care all that much for Vancouver or London's, and Sochi's isn't really a logo, it's a website address.

I really thought PyeongChang would come up with something great, considering how long they've wanted these games. I like the idea of using Korean characters, but there had to have been a more stylish way to do that. Right now, the logo looks a cross between something created in MS Paint and a convoluted game of hangman.

allezfred
05-03-2013, 01:08 PM

Nagano (http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/64/1740/full/6960.gif)'s "Snowflower" is my choice. Loved the way they incorporated all the sports into the design.

Rob
05-03-2013, 03:44 PM
I think Nagano's might be my favorite of all time.

Anita18
05-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Olympic logos are so hard to do, since you have to please everybody (which is a fool's errand) and the overall themes are always the same. There's only so much you can do.

But still, :yikes:

I was hoping we'd see some branding examples. Sometimes when the logo is terrible, the overall branding is not so horrid. The London Games branding was all right even if the logo itself was :huh:

Zemgirl
05-04-2013, 12:24 PM
I was hoping we'd see some branding examples. Sometimes when the logo is terrible, the overall branding is not so horrid. The London Games branding was all right even if the logo itself was :huh:
In what way was London a relatively successful example of Olympic branding? I'm genuinely curious, because in terms of design, just about everything looked hideously ugly to me - not just the logo, but also the color scheme, the fonts used, even the podiums. It's no good to have a consistent concept if that concept is so unappealing. And I don't think it really made people think of London in a different way; it's not like London needed an image boost.

I didn't like everything in Vancouver, but I do appreciate that a lot of thought went into making the local culture and heritage a part of the games.

Barcelona is probably the best example of a city that leveraged the Olympics well and really benefited from it afterward.

Ozzisk8tr
05-04-2013, 12:34 PM
It looks like an emoticon for "average" face as opposed to smiley face. Hideous.

susan6
05-07-2013, 04:08 PM
The logo has an asterisk on it....I wonder if there will be a bunch of questionable victories and drug skandals that mean the victors' records will have asterisks....

FunnyBut
05-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Was it designed on a Etch-A-Sktech? :lol:

Anita18
05-07-2013, 07:44 PM
In what way was London a relatively successful example of Olympic branding? I'm genuinely curious, because in terms of design, just about everything looked hideously ugly to me - not just the logo, but also the color scheme, the fonts used, even the podiums. It's no good to have a consistent concept if that concept is so unappealing. And I don't think it really made people think of London in a different way; it's not like London needed an image boost.

I didn't like everything in Vancouver, but I do appreciate that a lot of thought went into making the local culture and heritage a part of the games.

Barcelona is probably the best example of a city that leveraged the Olympics well and really benefited from it afterward.
What I meant was, after the total :scream: that was the logo, the branding seemed all right in comparison. :rofl:

jamesy
05-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Was it designed on a Etch-A-Sktech? :lol:
:lol: No curved lines allowed!

Ziggy
05-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Oh my god... This looks like it was done by a child. You could have hated London's logo but it was proper design. This is just ridiculous.

peibeck
05-07-2013, 10:08 PM
:rofl: That logo is... unfortunate, to put it politely. If someone just showed some the logo design to another person to guess what the design was for, I am sure the Olympics would one of their last guesses. Makes me frightened to think what the "mascot" will be.

Dr.Siouxs
05-08-2013, 02:15 AM
Makes me frightened to think what the "mascot" will be.

Probably just a regular dude with a smiley face sticker on his chest.