PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Derby 2013

Pages : [1] 2

sk8pics
05-02-2013, 10:49 PM
No thread yet about the Derby? Who's everyone rooting for? I am rooting for Verazzano, only really because I grew up near the Verazzano bridge.

Here's the link to a preview article and post positions:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/77985/kentucky-derby-preview-all-about-orb

Cycliste
05-03-2013, 01:18 AM
I like Normandy Invasion, Goldencents, and Orb.

ChelleC
05-03-2013, 04:27 AM
I've not decided yet. Ask me on Saturday. ;)

I am so looking forward to the all day coverage we have here in Central Kentucky. :D

skipaway
05-03-2013, 10:25 AM
It's a strange year for me b/c. I don't have a favorite. I'm stoked that Edgar Prado finally has a Derby mount, albeit Pletcher's bottom level horse Charming Kitten. Also, looking forward to Rosie Napravnik on MyLute and Calvin Borel on Revolutionary.

PrincessLeppard
05-03-2013, 05:55 PM
There are no fillies in this year's event. :drama:

So I placed a bet on Orb, because I liked the name. :)

skipaway
05-03-2013, 09:04 PM
So I placed a bet on Orb, because I liked the name. :)He's definitely a contender and he's a good looking horse. This picture shows him getting photo bombed. :lol:

Point of Entry Photobombs Orb (https://twitter.com/moonwalker24/status/328712250300985345/photo/1)

sk8pics
05-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Orb is getting all the buzz, with some saying he looks the way Barbaro did when he was getting ready for the Derby. I am still rooting for Verazzano. He gets no respect, not that he knows it, LOL. I just hope the start is clean and no one gets knocked around. Poor Dreaming of Julia in the Oaks, but what a courageous filly!

danceronice
05-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Sentimental choice is Mylute--breeding says he should like mud, and it could be Rosie's year. Never underestimate Calvin at Churchill Downs and Revolutionary might like the track, too....Gary Stevens didn't come out of retirement to lose. LOVING the new kid...

And sadly I won't see it as I'm third shift, unless some kind soul in IT puts the EDR television on NBC. (We have three TVs, we do not need TWO to be on ESPN and ESPN2 and we really don't need CNN...)

genevieve
05-04-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm here! I know nothing about who's running other than I'm hoping for some Girl Power, so gooooooooooo MyLute! :cheer2:

Plus I always root for Calvin Borel.

But basically, whoever wins here becomes my pick for Preakness & Belmont because I really want another TC winner :cheer:

A.H.Black
05-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Just saw my first NBC promo for Sochi. I better start clearing space on the DVR.

genevieve
05-04-2013, 11:00 PM
I know we bitch about skating fluff (since it often comes at the expense of seeing actual skating), but I looooooove Derby Fluff :shuffle:

genevieve
05-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Is that John Velasquez being interviewed? His voice sounds like he just sucked on a helium balloon :shuffle:

sk8pics
05-04-2013, 11:52 PM
They all sound kind of like that, I think.

Anyway, congrats to Orb and his connections. I hope he is the real deal because I, too, would love to see another triple crown winner. That piece on Secretariat kind of choked me up a little. Forty years and no one's beaten his derby record.

ChelleC
05-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Orb's trainer is from here in Lexington. Definitely would be great for him to win the TC.

skipaway
05-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Great race for Orb and very happy for his connections. They mentioned before the start of the race that Vyjack had kicked the rail during the post parade. He then finished 19th. Hoping he's ok.
No mention whatsoever, during the race call, for Revolutionary who, piloted by Calvin Borel, was sneaking up the rail to finish 3rd.