PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan complains about the time of World Team Trophy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

tkaug
04-13-2013, 03:27 AM
Chan complained about the time of World Team Trophy. He pointed that skaters have difficulity with physical and mental preparation after the World Championships which is the biggest stage of the season. Because of the regulation that each country must send top skaters, "We have no choice of not taking part. This is obviously a problem. April is too late. I wanted to prepare for the Olympics." Chan said.

In the free, he unusually made many mistakes with 3 falls and finished 5th(2nd overall). He couldn't end his last performance of this season with a smile and his face was fallen saying "I feel irritated.".

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20130412/fig13041222310006-n1.html

overedge
04-13-2013, 03:31 AM
:confused: I don't doubt that this is what he said, but how is participating in one competition in April 2013 going to interfere with his preparation for an event in early 2014?

Whitneyskates
04-13-2013, 03:34 AM
In the free, he unusually made many mistakes

Really?

Sylvia
04-13-2013, 03:34 AM
USFS' March 20 press release stated:

Meryl Davis and Charlie White have elected not to compete at World Team Trophy so they may focus on their training for the upcoming Olympic season.
Virtue/Moir also elected not to compete... was Chan not given the opportunity to decline?

algonquin
04-13-2013, 03:44 AM
USFS' March 20 press release stated:

Virtue/Moir also elected not to compete... was Chan not given the opportunity to decline?
That seems to be the case.

AndyWarhol
04-13-2013, 04:13 AM
I bet the timing wouldn't have been a problem if he won.

vexlak
04-13-2013, 04:14 AM
OMG!
Comparing to any other individual sport, the top skaters appearances are minimal...
Patrick competed how many times this season?

tkaug
04-13-2013, 04:39 AM
I bet the timing wouldn't have been a problem if he won.

I agree. And he shouldn't have said something like that in public as a team captain. He ruined the event with his own words. He often says something disrespectful to the fans, audience, and other skaters when he loses. Last year at Skate Canada he finished 2nd to Javier Fernandez and in the interview he said "This isn't a really important competition whether I win or not". I couldn't believe how he could say so at a competition of his own country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trWDZQCOsug

julieann
04-13-2013, 04:43 AM
He is certainly not the first skater to complain about it, I seem to recall the same things were said in 2009.

dardar1126
04-13-2013, 04:44 AM
Oh, boy, this sounds like sour grapes...he's gonna regret having said this. The press is gonna eat him alive. :lynch:

caseyedwards
04-13-2013, 04:45 AM
He went to WTT in 2009? Maybe thinks that damaged him for 2010. But that was more the injury he had than going to WTT 2009.

casken
04-13-2013, 04:54 AM
Trankov said in an interview that if it was up to him he wouldn't do this competition, and was patted on the back for his honesty.

And If Moir can overcome saying that he "hates this competition" in the K&C while the cameras were rolling, this is no big deal.

spikydurian
04-13-2013, 04:56 AM
Chan complained about the time of World Team Trophy. He pointed that skaters have difficulity with physical and mental preparation after the World Championships which is the biggest stage of the season. Because of the regulation that each country must send top skaters, "We have no choice of not taking part. This is obviously a problem. April is too late. I wanted to prepare for the Olympics." Chan said.

In the free, he unusually made many mistakes with 3 falls and finished 5th(2nd overall). He couldn't end his last performance of this season with a smile and his face was fallen saying "I feel irritated.".

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20130412/fig13041222310006-n1.html

That is your words. I see his face as 'exhausted' and 'disappointed'. This article is in Japanese. Is that the correct translation?

Where are the words which imply he is disrespectful to fans? Honest yes in answering queries. I can also choose to misinterpret any skater's words if I choose like you do if I wish to purposely take words out of context or read evil into everything someone says.

D&W and V&M chose not to compete so they are bad team mates?

tkaug
04-13-2013, 05:09 AM
D&W and V&M chose not to compete so they are bad team mates?

No, that does not mean they are bad team mates at all.
The point is Chan did compete and complained, and he is a team captain.
I personally found that disrespectful.

dardar1126
04-13-2013, 05:13 AM
At the very least he should have waited until after the competition had ended to voice these opinions. The timing is very bad. I can see where the Japanese people might feel quite offended.

Not to mention the ISU and his own skating federation...yikes!