PDA

View Full Version : ISU loses another sponsor

B.Cooper
04-09-2013, 09:23 PM
From 4.8.2013 New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/04/08/sports/olympics/ap-oly-sponsorship-search.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

"The International Skating Union also must begin looking for a major sponsor. The Dutch energy supplier Essent said it will end its longstanding backing of speedskating after the 2014 Sochi Winter Games. "

"To be honest, it is not easy," ISU President Ottavio Cinquanta told The Associated Press. "The international market is not in the very best condition. One has to admit, there is some problem. We will have to pay attention to what to do."

"The ISU was fortunate in that Essent gave it a full year's warning that it was ending a 16-year relationship.

"Of course, we were not on the market (before) looking for another sponsor," Cinquanta said. "

So, when will Cinquanta be looking for new sponsors? :rolleyes:

Sylvia
04-09-2013, 09:31 PM
I started a thread not long ago about ISU's sponsorship deal with Canon, Inc.: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?87630-Canon-Inc-s-ISU-event-sponsorship-(2012-14)-amp-a-site-with-interviews-photos-amp-more

Seerek
04-11-2013, 03:03 AM
That's actually quite a significant loss in sponsorship, considering the Netherlands has high profile long track speed-skating stars such as Ireen Wust and Sven Kramer. Furthermore, the Netherlands are making progress in short track speed skating as well.

bardtoob
04-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Sven Kramer ... a jerk supported by figure skating money ... to stupid to say his own name or stay in his own lane when competing in the Olympics.

lotte86
04-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Sven Kramer ... a jerk supported by figure skating money ... to stupid to say his own name or stay in his own lane when competing in the Olympics.

Do you even follow speed skating? He (Sven Kramer) is definitely not supported by figure skating money! If there is any speed skater in the world who doens't need that money, it's him!

About Essent, they have been a sponser for over 15 years. Like they said: "As sponsor, we reached the ceiling of our possibilities."
They are thinking about creating a new speedskaters team in 2014 so perhaps they stay in the sport.

Maybe in the end it's a good thing, a new sponser may reflect new ideas and which could follow in a big interest. Maybe this is what skating in general needs?

Domshabfan
04-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Sven was disqualifed for that and in speedskating in case you didn't know they do alternate between the lanes, so confusion with the lanes is always possible especially in a long distance event. As for figure skating paying for him, i am not sure where you are getting the idea since as you can see a dutch company was sponsoring ISU speed skating as well.

4rkidz
04-11-2013, 12:37 PM

need to work on your facts.. there is a myth out there that some how figure skating supports speed skating.. not true.. they have their own sponsers and TV contracts and much lower over heads than figure skating..

bardtoob
04-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Yeah ... I was a bit over the top, but there are at least 4 incidents from the last Olympics that just make me furious. There was one point in time when he did receive far more than he was generating.

Skittl1321
04-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Maybe Stephen Colbert can step up and help the ISU out the way he did the American team.

falling_dance
04-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Maybe Stephen Colbert can step up and help the ISU out the way he did the American team.

If nothing else, he needs to do some hard-hitting reports on the sport like this one (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-august-1-2002/do-you-believe) again.

Aussie Willy
04-11-2013, 11:15 PM
I went to look at the link in the above post and it says:

Sorry but this video is unavailable in your location
But hey, at least you have kangaroos and boomerangs

:lol: I almost forgive them for locking me out of their clips.

beepbeep
04-12-2013, 12:11 AM
May be it's time to hold the sponsor a little tighter, then. :shuffle:

kwanfan1818
04-12-2013, 01:50 AM
Skaters in long distance races depend on their coaches to signal them on lane changes, and his coach was the one who signaled him to the wrong lane.

TygerLily
04-12-2013, 02:42 AM
:lol: I almost forgive them for locking me out of their clips.If any Canadians care, here's what we get:

Sorry but this video is unavailable in your location. In case you can't give up your free healthcare and move to America, you can watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart at thecomedynetwork.ca.

And too bad about the loss of a sponsor. I only follow speed skating at the Olympics, so I'm not helping. :shuffle: