PDA

View Full Version : The Skating Lesson podcast interview with Frank Carroll, part 1

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Sylvia
04-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Starting a new thread:

Here's part one of the interview.

http://www.theskatinglesson.com/frank-carroll-interview-part-1/

In part one of our no-holds-barred interview with the 2007 World Figure Skating Hall of Fame inductee, Frank Carroll discusses his views on “Chanflation” at the 2013 World Championships and revisits a number of highs and lows in his career, including Linda Fratianne’s courageous win in Tokyo, frustrations over the 1980 Olympic Games, the decision to end his coaching relationship with Tiffany Chin and the painful demise of his relationship with Christopher Bowman. Through it all, Frank Carroll demonstrates a passion for the sport and espouses the necessity for us all to take responsibility for our own lives and to live with self-respect.

jlai
04-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Really enjoyed this one

bek
04-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Great interview glad to see its not just the casual fans who don't understand skating, who are having issues with high PCS with programs riddled with errors. But totally interesting to here him talking about coaching.

modern_muslimah
04-07-2013, 07:26 PM
This is the first podcast I watched that was an interview and not a review of a skating event. I really enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to part 2.

orbitz
04-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Thumbs up to Jenny and Dave. That was a good interview.

Frank had such nice thing to say about MK in Part I that it made it that much more sadder that she parted way with him.

His memory was a little bit fuzzy on Linda's LP at the 77 Worlds. I don't think she won the LP that year like Frank remembered, and she attempted only two triple; Frank recalled that she did another 3sal after the 3toe. I wish Jenny and Dave had asked Frank if he wished he had done more to develop Linda as a skater. He obviously thought she was one of his most talented students.

It was sad to hear Frank recounted his relationships with the Chins and then Chris Bowman.

Looking forward to hear what he has to say about MK in Part II.

skateboy
04-07-2013, 08:02 PM
This is golden! Very interesting to hear what Frank has to say about IJS (he's not a fan but knows the system inside and out) and especially about the Chan-Ten outcome. He brings up the very interesting FACT that Denis received 7s from two judges in program components for his SP (which Frank thinks was better than his LP), only to have those very same judges suddenly rate his program components up over a point higher (8s) in the LP. As Frank mentioned, how does THAT happen in two days?

Fascinating to hear Frank's take on how Patrick's program components are scored.

Besides that, Frank is just so well-spoken and knowledgeable. Interesting to get his take on jump technique, training, etc., and great to hear him speak about Maribel, Linda, Tiffany, Chris (sad as it was) and Denis. Can't wait for the next part!

fenway2
04-07-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm hoping they remembered to ask Frank about Sasha Cohen's practice antics at 2002 nationals. That may have been the angriest I've ever seen him get. Although I wasn't around him when Linda lost. :scream:

Sparks
04-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Thumbs up to Jenny and Dave. That was a good interview.

Frank had such nice thing to say about MK in Part I that it made it that much more sadder that she parted way with him.

His memory was a little bit fuzzy on Linda's LP at the 77 Worlds. I don't think she won the LP that year like Frank remembered, and she attempted only two triple; Frank recalled that she did another 3sal after the 3toe. I wish Jenny and Dave had asked Frank if he wished he had done more to develop Linda as a skater. He obviously thought she was one of his most talented students.It was sad to hear Frank recounted his relationships with the Chins and then Chris Bowman.

Looking forward to hear what he has to say about MK in Part II.
Frank said Linda was the best student he ever had. With that he DID develop her as a skater, imo.

jlai
04-07-2013, 09:29 PM
re: Tiffany's mom. It didn't bother me in particular when the mom said stuff like "my child is lazy". I hear that kind of comment often enough from Chinese parents. (though saying it on camera was probably not smart). But interfering with coaching was probably a bigger issue.

orbitz
04-07-2013, 10:08 PM
re: Tiffany's mom. It didn't bother me in particular when the mom said stuff like "my child is lazy". I hear that kind of comment often enough from Chinese parents. (though saying it on camera was probably not smart). But interfering with coaching was probably a bigger issue.

Probably? You mean you think there are occasions where berating your child in public, in front of a camera crew no less, are smart decisions?

kwanette
04-07-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm hoping they remembered to ask Frank about Sasha Cohen's practice antics at 2002 nationals. That may have been the angriest I've ever seen him get. Although I wasn't around him when Linda lost. :scream:

I never got to see or hear about Frank's anger in 02. What did he do/say?

jlai
04-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Probably? You mean you think there are occasions where berating your child in public, in front of a camera crew no less, are smart decisions?

I don't wanna get off topic because of some off the cuff comment I made. I just think that talking about your child in glowing terms in public isn't a universal thing. I also wouldn't want to judge a person based on a bad moment on camera (unless this is like a thing she did all the time, which I wouldn't know--Chin was before I became a fan). Consistent interfering with coaching is more problematic than one bad moment, that's all.

ETA: FWIW, I think there are some "crazy" skate moms who look like perfect moms on camera or with a reporter.

fenway2
04-07-2013, 11:54 PM
I never got to see or hear about Frank's anger in 02. What did he do/say? He seemed angry because the stalking incidents began occurring long before 2002 nationals. Sasha was a a nuisance for both Michelle Kwan and Angela Nikodinov the prior summer at their respective training sites. So when she also caused trouble again, this time during official practices at nationals, it angered Michelle and Angela to the point that the media noticed them commiserating about her behavior. Brennan planned to write a story out of it to be released the night of the long program. When the stalking continued in long program warmup, Sasha unknowingly added more content into her planned article. Sasha wanted that third sport badly and once Angela got ruffled up over it and lost concentration, which let's face it, wasn't hard for her to do, Sasha set her sights on the Olympic gold medal. I've never seen an American woman skater so openly gunning for the Olympic gold. I really thought Sasha would win in SLC because she was one determined firecracker. In all fairness, she grew up a lot after that, probably realizing her actions had ramifications on many levels.

Jammers
04-08-2013, 12:05 AM
What do you mean Sasha was stalking?

skipaway
04-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Early on, Frank is saying 2 judges judged DTen in the low 7s for PCS during his SP. Then he says that these same judges gave DTen mid 8s for his long program. I thought the judges were annonymous therefore how did he know that these specific judges changed his scores so dramatically?