PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Abt will compete for Belarus

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Jenya
04-01-2013, 03:41 PM
This isn't an April Fool's joke, at least not as far as I can tell. :lol:

Belorussian media is reporting that Alexander Abt will compete in pairs for Belarus and is looking for a partner in Minsk right now: http://www.tvr.by/eng/news.asp?id=2253&cid=18

VIETgrlTerifa
04-01-2013, 03:44 PM
I wonder if people will continue to swoon over his skating when they are really just swooning over this looks. It's not as if his actual skating was really worth all the attention he got. ;)

GarrAarghHrumph
04-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Well... good luck to him.

Moka-Ananas
04-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Probably that's Abt's own little April Fool...I cannot imagine him returning to competitive skating and even in Pairs...he only has little "experience" from Averbukh's shows and that's all.

Cherub721
04-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Very strange. Maybe he posted that as a joke on one of the Russian social media sites and this website published it believing it to be true.

I wonder if people will continue to swoon over his skating when they are really just swooning over this looks. It's not as if his actual skating was really worth all the attention he got. ;)

I'm so sick of reading that argument every time Abt's name comes up... he had excellent basic skating and musicality, some nice jumps and spins, and a quite good career (silver at Euros, top 5 at Olympics/Worlds). Many skaters in that same "so close, but yet so far..." position would get a lot of attention from fans who believe they had the potential to go further. It's one thing to say he got more attention because he's good looking, which is probably true as it has been for many athletes. It's really very offensive, though, to both Abt and his fans to imply that people are just swooning over his looks and seeing skating qualities that weren't there.

ETA: You did wink, so maybe you were kidding. If so, then consider my response a general one to the people that make that argument all the time.

VIETgrlTerifa
04-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Very strange. Maybe he posted that as a joke on one of the Russian social media sites and this website published it believing it to be true.

I'm so sick of reading that argument every time Abt's name comes up... he had excellent basic skating and musicality, some nice jumps and spins, and a quite good career (silver at Euros, top 5 at Olympics/Worlds). Many skaters in that same "so close, but yet so far..." position would get a lot of attention from fans who believe they had the potential to go further. It's one thing to say he got more attention because he's good looking, which is probably true as it has been for many athletes. It's really very offensive, though, to both Abt and his fans to imply that people are just swooning over his looks and seeing skating qualities that weren't there.

ETA: You did wink, so maybe you were kidding. If so, then consider my response a general one to the people that make that argument all the time.

The wink is there because Abt always seemed to generate some sort of polarity during the height of his popularity. You'd have fans on one side and then people getting mad about his popularity on the other. My post was an obscure reference to one of the more popular posters, I think it was Andrey, basically letting many of the Abt fans have it one day. I could be wrong about the which poster it was though.

Cherub721
04-01-2013, 05:24 PM
The wink is there because Abt always seemed to generate some sort of polarity during the height of his popularity. You'd have fans on one side and then people getting mad about his popularity on the other. My post was an obscure reference to one of the more popular posters, I think it was Andrey, basically letting many of the Abt fans have it one day. I could be wrong about the which poster it was though.

I remember that. Andrey might have said something, but I believe it was Louis who coined the phrase "Abt sob-sisters." :lol:

Iceman
04-01-2013, 06:16 PM

He won his last nationals and was 5th at the Olympics. Not too shabby a record.

Can you lose your eligibility as a singles skater but still be eligible for pairs . Not sure this is his situation, but just wondered.

Eladola
04-01-2013, 06:26 PM

Eladola
04-01-2013, 06:30 PM
He might've achieved more, If it wasn't for all those injuries ...

I'm still a very big fan of both his programs from the Olympic year

Here are the best versions, Just for old times sake :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfRJm3kIkPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86g-lZbNauU

gkelly
04-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Can you lose your eligibility as a singles skater but still be eligible for pairs . Not sure this is his situation, but just wondered.

No. Either you're an eligible person or you are not.

RFOS
04-01-2013, 06:37 PM
No. Either you're an eligible person or you are not.

Contrary to what Blades of Glory would have us believe. ;)

aftershocks
04-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Fooled twice already. I thought for sure this one was a not so believable ruse. Altho' wouldn't it be wonderful (if his body was willing and time was suspended)! :swoon:

I guess count me in as one of the Abt sob-sisters! :P Sasha was a very good singles skater in his day with good basics even if not a lot of speed. *(Maybe his speed was deceptive because his long legs and sublime glide covered the ice so smoothly). His glide across the ice was exquisite and even as a macho male, he had an elegant look. He truly was able to overcome his height, and he made his endlessly long legs work for him. I'd much rather look all day at Alexander Abt vids rather than barf at some of the Worlds 2013 performances from lesser known as well as better known male contenders.

Brings back some memories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdgAIamDJgg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqxQ6lzb-4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcLVLNpVvrQ

Well, but pairs ... hmmm, he'd really have to find the right partner at his age. Can he still do the required triples???

lala
04-01-2013, 10:20 PM
I can't believe..

Katarzyna
04-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Cherub721 :respec:

Seriously, Iím annoyed by this as well. Sashaís basic skating in practice was just :swoon:, probably in the league of Chan, maybe even better if it comes to acceleration on ice. I remember one practice before some show in Russia were even some of his teammates, who were skating at the highest level stopped and watched him warming up edges Ė I think that speaks for itself. Not to speak about really big jumps that he still made look easy and smooth. Still some people donít get tired to indicate that his major qualities were just looks! :wall:

To go on with good memories I loved both of his programmes in 2000:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crdeP2oMqCE (CoR 1999, LP)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQF3s-bG8r8 (Worlds 2000, SP)

However, as much as I would love to have again a chance to watch Sasha practicing live, I hope this is april foolsís joke. I definitely think it would be smarter to focus on his coaching career. Iím pretty sure he can still do the easier triples (as he did quads), but he is 36 something and I donít think he has enough time to learn doing lifts Ė in particular as he never seemed to be a particular fan of weight training. :P (His sleeveless costumes were :rofl: + :scream:).